• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I must admit I do get a kick that most things in the garden find a use. Leaves and plants generally for the bunnies. Fallen apples for the chickens and wild birds. And of course all of the insects which use the plants for food and shelter. Plus of course we get to eat lots of the stuff which is growing.
We understand, we are the same! We're rearranging our entire garden to 'useful' things :D Which means I cab get rid of most of the boxes, I hate them :lol: We've got plenty of things to replace them which are much better in other ways :)

Has anyone fed Elm twigs and leaves? I can't remember ever feeding it previously and of course we don't have much in the garden. Couldn't find much information online, but the one site I did find said that it was good for digestive problems (possibly only as much as any leaves would be) but that it was unpopular.

Well OH pruned some today and both rabbits like it....a lot :)

Has anyone fed Elm twigs and leaves? I can't remember ever feeding it previously and of course we don't have much in the garden. Couldn't find much information online, but the one site I did find said that it was good for digestive problems (possibly only as much as any leaves would be) but that it was unpopular.

Well OH pruned some today and both rabbits like it....a lot :)

No - never considered it but you've inspired me to one - find out if I can ID some, two - hunt it down. What type of Elm is yours?

No - never considered it but you've inspired me to one - find out if I can ID some, two - hunt it down. What type of Elm is yours?

No idea :lol: It's one of the healthy Elm trees growing in the perimeter hedge. I'll ask OH when he comes in. He uses the stripped bark as twine for tying up plants, but it is only any good if it hasn't dried out. So he'd cut a branch and put it in the bucket of water containing the last of the Apple twigs next to the run. I was aware of Tui twisting and straining to get her teeth into one of the leaves which she could just reach through the mesh :lol:

OH not 100% sure which Elm we have. The trees were all here when we arrived. He said he thinks it is Wych Elm, but can't be sure.

could this be elm?
MDUkchIl.jpg

could this be elm?
MDUkchIl.jpg
[/IMG]

I've just compared your pic with one of our leaves and they do look very similar i.e. veins are alternate and they are the same number, plus the edges are toothed. Are your leaves rough on the top side? Are your stems hairy? And are the leaves alternate up the stem? I think if you have all these three, it is *very probably* elm.

It kinda looked elm like but only going of quick google last night. The veins are alternate & same number. Rougher than tree leaves I'm used to it but I still wouldn't describe as rough. Stems very slightly hairy.

I'd had a little forage on the way home this morning & got that potential elm & set it aside to consult yourself. I forgot though & put all the beasts in togther with half my haul & noticed Mousey woolfing it down - I removed what was left of the leaf & she told me off. So it has that in common with your elm too

Trees are so complex. I only get confidence when they fruit & not always then

Same: I'm forever 'learning' basic trees, like hornbeam and ash :S I can at least distinguish field maple/hawthorn now!

I also find trees very difficult. Most of the ones in the garden are easy to forage from because I've remembered where they are growing :lol: Put those same trees out in the countryside though and I'd struggle without a long time with a book and a specimen of the leaves and branch.

Found some loganberry today :) as its a cross between raspberry & blackberry I assume its ok for bunnies ?

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but I would happily feed it based on it's parentage. Be interesting to see if they like it.

Went on the longest walk today to get whatever Ash I could reach that was in decent enough condition. Found another grass verge filled with pineapple mayweed
Just as well I'm managing to get more cos Boobly has been up to her old tricks with regard to self service, biting access whole in dried forage box then digging some out as required

wg4sGrTl.jpg

0cx7T6Vl.jpg

Went on the longest walk today to get whatever Ash I could reach that was in decent enough condition. Found another grass verge filled with pineapple mayweed
Just as well I'm managing to get more cos Boobly has been up to her old tricks with regard to self service, biting access whole in dried forage box then digging some out as required

wg4sGrTl.jpg
[/IMG]

0cx7T6Vl.jpg
[/IMG]

So, her eyesight might be going but there's nowt wrong with her sense of smell:love:

wg4sGrTl.jpg
[/IMG]

0cx7T6Vl.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh Boobly Bear your cleverness never fails to amaze and impress :love:

Pineapple Mayweed seems to be a good plant source for you late in the season.

Back