• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Are the leaves pointed? It's hard to tell from your pic.

Anyway, Beech has 6-7 pairs of parallel veins and Hornbeam 10-15. So in my view it's more likely to be Beech than Hornbeam.

Thats interesting. I count 14. Not at all pointed, not even at the end . Hope dinner went well

If the leaf ends are not pointed then it's likely that it's neither Beech nor Hornbeam. Are you sure that there are 14 pairs of veins as it doesn't look like it on your pic? Could you post more pics, one of a leaf and one showing the arrangement of the leaves on the stem? Are there any flowers? If so, a pic of one would be helpful too.

If the leaf ends are not pointed then it's likely that it's neither Beech nor Hornbeam. Are you sure that there are 14 pairs of veins as it doesn't look like it on your pic? Could you post more pics, one of a leaf and one showing the arrangement of the leaves on the stem? Are there any flowers? If so, a pic of one would be helpful too.

Could it be hazel?

I took a slightly better photo.

y97CASrl.jpg

I took a slightly better photo.

y97CASrl.jpg
[/IMG]

Hmm, not sure :? Don't think it's Beech as not pointy end to leaf, not Hornbeam as not enough pairs of veins, plus not pointy leaf and not Hazel as those leaf veins are alternate not opposite. Plus it looks too shiny for Hazel.

I'll have a think :) What was the tree like?

Hmm, not sure :? Don't think it's Beech as not pointy end to leaf, not Hornbeam as not enough pairs of veins, plus not pointy leaf and not Hazel as those leaf veins are alternate not opposite. Plus it looks too shiny for Hazel.

I'll have a think :) What was the tree like?

it had a trunk and branches and leaves:lol: I will take a photo when I'm next out that way. I can see it but I can't describe it

What are we all picking then folks? My bunnies have gone off Ash (which they do every year) . Silverweed & clover seem to be doing nicely. Lots of stuff still covered in cuckoo spit though & the duck poo is becoming more prolific , which is cool as we have some very cute ducklings around. Also seen wildies in a few different spots. I'm personally fine with seeing wild rabbits where I forage, much less of a concern to me than when I see none.

Last weekend we did a massive willow raid. Its just about dry now & the bunnies say its not worth eating :evil: Hopefully they'll be less fussy in winter

What are we all picking then folks? My bunnies have gone off Ash (which they do every year) . Silverweed & clover seem to be doing nicely. Lots of stuff still covered in cuckoo spit though & the duck poo is becoming more prolific , which is cool as we have some very cute ducklings around. Also seen wildies in a few different spots. I'm personally fine with seeing wild rabbits where I forage, much less of a concern to me than when I see none.

Last weekend we did a massive willow raid. Its just about dry now & the bunnies say its not worth eating :evil: Hopefully they'll be less fussy in winter

I haven't seen a wildie in the fields around us this year :( What is the white Umbellifer flower that Mousey is eating?

We're getting a good selection in the garden atm. Rabbits are having some or all of: Cut-leaved Geranium, Herb Robert, Sowthistle (Prickly, Perennial and Smooth), Dandelion, Red Campion, Willowherb, Nipplewort, Plantain (both types) and Red Dead-nettle. Non-forage items from the garden, which they get are Thyme, Parsley, Lemon Balm, Rose leaves and Kale. They also get and adore Rose petals. Tui puts her head down and sort of hoovers them up quickly :) They don't like Borage, which is a shame as we've got loads. They only get Ash when the leaves start to fall, so don't know if they would eat them.

Can I give them any rose petals? I didn't think they were safe, but we have lots of roses - would be great.

If they are your from your own Roses and you know the Roses haven't been sprayed, then yes, they will probably love them :) I usually wait until the flower is almost on the point of dropping its petals and then pick them. They can have the leaves and stem as well.

Let us know what your rabbits think of them.

I haven't seen a wildie in the fields around us this year :( What is the white Umbellifer flower that Mousey is eating?

We're getting a good selection in the garden atm. Rabbits are having some or all of: Cut-leaved Geranium, Herb Robert, Sowthistle (Prickly, Perennial and Smooth), Dandelion, Red Campion, Willowherb, Nipplewort, Plantain (both types) and Red Dead-nettle. Non-forage items from the garden, which they get are Thyme, Parsley, Lemon Balm, Rose leaves and Kale. They also get and adore Rose petals. Tui puts her head down and sort of hoovers them up quickly :) They don't like Borage, which is a shame as we've got loads. They only get Ash when the leaves start to fall, so don't know if they would eat them.

That's a massive haul from your gardens. lucky Tui & Tethra. I think it might be hogweed flowers Mouse is eating

Bindweed and yarrow are the stand out favourites here at the moment: they're the ones that always get gobbled up first.

The Council hasn't cut the grass in ages which has meant a lot of plants and weeds have been able to flourish. I've been able to get lots of fat, juicy plantain in particular.

I also recently discovered an area where dogs aren't allowed which means when I'm picking ground level forage and grass I don't have to worry whether it's been peed on!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Bindweed and yarrow are the stand out favourites here at the moment: they're the ones that always get gobbled up first.

The Council hasn't cut the grass in ages which has meant a lot of plants and weeds have been able to flourish. I've been able to get lots of fat, juicy plantain in particular.

I also recently discovered an area where dogs aren't allowed which means when I'm picking ground level forage and grass I don't have to worry whether it's been peed on!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I'm always surprised at how popular Yarrow is. It never looks very juicy. In fact it looks dry :lol:

Back