• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Awww Pixie is so much smaller than her babies now. :love: How is spaying/neutering them all going?!

I was up at my father's on Thurs and managed to get some wood avens, hawthorn, and loads of yarrow from his gardens. A few other bits too. It's only a small garden but he was clearing an area to make a 'fairy garden' for his grandkids.

They have a big Dad don't they ;) Gorgeous pics :love: Lovely they they are all now bonded into groups.

thanks everyone. daisy is spayed now, bella is on the 14th, then its digby and devon hopefully the week after, then pixie, prinny, echo and esme after that all together. Im hoping that no fights break out before i can get them all done so im nervous as hell. The babies are lots bigger that pixie and daisy but im hoping they dont get french lop size :lol:

I just went for a shortish forage. Came back with 5 bags. :shock: Some plantain leaves were as big as my 20-year-old 1kg tortoise.

that's so sad. We shall have to start adding some back. We could maybe do a photo a-z with bunny models in some

Just popped on to ask about red currants - are they ok? Loads of geranium today & Joey is liking bindweed

Yes, Red Currants are OK, also the leaves and twigs. Favourite here at the moment is the Common Vetch that I grew in pots. It's not very substantial, but the rabbits just take huge mouthfuls :) Willowherb is in flower here now too, which goes down well.

that's so sad. We shall have to start adding some back. We could maybe do a photo a-z with bunny models in some

Just popped on to ask about red currants - are they ok? Loads of geranium today & Joey is liking bindweed

Red currants are good :)

I have black currants in my garden. Well more leaves than currants, and they are quite a staple sometimes, especially when there's not much else around

Yes, Red Currants are OK, also the leaves and twigs. Favourite here at the moment is the Common Vetch that I grew in pots. It's not very substantial, but the rabbits just take huge mouthfuls :) Willowherb is in flower here now too, which goes down well.

My garden seems to have sprouted it's own herb robert plantation. Bunnies like that by the huge mouthful too :lol:

My garden seems to have sprouted it's own herb robert plantation. Bunnies like that by the huge mouthful too :lol:

Well done garden! Herb Robert is similarly delicately formed. It's nice when you can just go outside and pick something and feed it to the rabbits, isn't it. Certainly no air miles :lol:

Thank You Omi & MM. Its good to know I can go back & raid that bush. I love how I get to identify more once stuff fruits

I have blackcurrants in my "garden" too - 6 of them :lol: My bunnies ? have also grown quite a few wild plants. Given I have a tiny back yard with only opportunities to grow through cracks in the pavement & a small patch of earth we have dandelions willow herb sticky bud herb robert strawberry & a few things from seeds I've chucked in.

well i guess Ash is out of season, its definitely suddenly unpopular. Clever bunnies - i expect there is a really good reason they won't eat it now .

Found loads of Knapweed - difficult to access though as very steep & uneven hill with overgrown grass

well i guess Ash is out of season, its definitely suddenly unpopular. Clever bunnies - i expect there is a really good reason they won't eat it now .

Found loads of Knapweed - difficult to access though as very steep & uneven hill with overgrown grass

Mine were OK with it last time I tried about 3-4 weeks ago. Our Ash tree is enormous, so I have to wait for a storm to persuade some twigs to fall off before the get any :)

But Hawthorn, they have definitely become very iffy about. Leaves just get nibbled round the edges and the stem is left. Hazel and Willow are the favourites here atm.

Mine were OK with it last time I tried about 3-4 weeks ago. Our Ash tree is enormous, so I have to wait for a storm to persuade some twigs to fall off before the get any :)

But Hawthorn, they have definitely become very iffy about. Leaves just get nibbled round the edges and the stem is left. Hazel and Willow are the favourites here atm.

My neighbour has a handy Rowan tree which overhangs and the buns are *very* keen on that. The other neighbour had his pear tree pruned recently .... yum yum :)

My neighbour has a handy Rowan tree which overhangs and the buns are *very* keen on that. The other neighbour had his pear tree pruned recently .... yum yum :)

neighbours with benefits :lol: mine has told me to "help myself" to her overflowing baskets of herbs but of course I wouldn't. I might actually bury some berries, I'd like a Rowan. Lots here but mostly in gardens & not wild

Omi - interesting about Hawthorn, mine are still devouring it with gusto. They still love, love, love hogweed too. Ash only got rejected in the past week or so. you'll have to report back once you've had a storm ?

neighbours with benefits :lol: mine has told me to "help myself" to her overflowing baskets of herbs but of course I wouldn't. I might actually bury some berries, I'd like a Rowan. Lots here but mostly in gardens & not wild

Omi - interesting about Hawthorn, mine are still devouring it with gusto. They still love, love, love hogweed too. Ash only got rejected in the past week or so. you'll have to report back once you've had a storm ?

I have a couple of rogue Rowan trees in my garden that will be dug up when my sheds are taken down.

Would you like me to post you one with it's roots on?

I have a couple of rogue Rowan trees in my garden that will be dug up when my sheds are taken down.

Would you like me to post you one with it's roots on?

that's very kind but honestly I'll just try berries & see if they take, failing that I'll "acquire " a little tree somehow. If you were to postpone your shed uprooting til next year that would be most convenient & my answer might be different:lol:. Thank you so much though

that's very kind but honestly I'll just try berries & see if they take, failing that I'll "acquire " a little tree somehow. If you were to postpone your shed uprooting til next year that would be most convenient & my answer might be different:lol:. Thank you so much though

I might pot one of them up. You never know when it might come in handy :lol:

huge blurry photo alert

Got my bunnies an improvised hay & forage rack, resulting in less stray poo :thumb:

07TUiR8.jpg

Back