• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Hi everyone! Read this thread from beginning and end!! Haha. Also Google searched so so much. But I wondered if I could ask for some help with identification. I *think* I have found hawthorn but I don't trust myself. I know it's prob difficult as its still a bit early and not many leaves but I will post the photos and any help would be appreciated :)

Sorry if the photos are terrible!!

Also anyone know what this might be? Is it a type of willow?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi everyone! Read this thread from beginning and end!! Haha. Also Google searched so so much. But I wondered if I could ask for some help with identification. I *think* I have found hawthorn but I don't trust myself. I know it's prob difficult as its still a bit early and not many leaves but I will post the photos and any help would be appreciated :)

Sorry if the photos are terrible!!

Also anyone know what this might be? Is it a type of willow?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Lavinia!

Your photos are good, and the top ones are indeed hawthorn :)

Lucky you having such a stash nearby! My bunnies are jealous :)

The top one does look like hawthorn just coming into leaf, the second one is pussy willow :)
Thank you so much!
Hi Lavinia!

Your photos are good, and the top ones are indeed hawthorn :)

Lucky you having such a stash nearby! My bunnies are jealous :)
Hi! Thanks. We have absolutely loads and loads of hawthorn then just around the corner as there are maybe hundreds of them as hedgerows here. Never even thought about foraging before. Hopefully they will enjoy it. I think I read that they can't eat the flowers and any berries, is that right?

Thank you so much!

Hi! Thanks. We have absolutely loads and loads of hawthorn then just around the corner as there are maybe hundreds of them as hedgerows here. Never even thought about foraging before. Hopefully they will enjoy it. I think I read that they can't eat the flowers and any berries, is that right?

They can eat the flowers, but not the berries :)

Maybe Binky will come back to it. But by then of course, it may be too late :lol:

Haha :lol: luckily for Binky they are still living side by side (due to his slow eating, bad teeth and risk of stasis again!) so I will let him keep hold of his branch overnight to give him a chance at nomming it.

Does this look like sticky weed please?

IMG_4961_zpsm7raghip.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thanks MM, I'm struggling to identify my plants out of the usual setting this year (this is a tiny patch of earth in my back yard but has lots of dandelions, strawberry & now sticky weed :thumb: )

thanks MM, I'm struggling to identify my plants out of the usual setting this year (this is a tiny patch of earth in my back yard but has lots of dandelions, strawberry & now sticky weed :thumb: )

You're welcome :D

I've got dead nettle (red and white) and silverweed growing in pots, but I've had to move them out of range for the moment as otherwise there would be none left by now!

You're welcome :D

I've got dead nettle (red and white) and silverweed growing in pots, but I've had to move them out of range for the moment as otherwise there would be none left by now!

I can imagine. My bunnies haven't been outside yet but I'm pretty sure anything bunny friendly is going to be decimated in 2 minutes given the tiny space they'll have

Yes, sticky weed plus daffodils and a tulip :)

Everything's growing like mad here now :D

My bunnies had a hay only day yesterday (thought my Asda shopping was coming last night rather than tonight) so I've been out in the snow for their breakfast. Found plantain :)

Last week I returned to my old foraging spot - was surprised to get raspberry so early inthe year

My bunnies had a hay only day yesterday (thought my Asda shopping was coming last night rather than tonight) so I've been out in the snow for their breakfast. Found plantain :)

Last week I returned to my old foraging spot - was surprised to get raspberry so early inthe year

Are they all pellet free now?

Back