• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I have only just started foraging I'm sure I've seen the ash but not known what it was not sure what hazel looks like but sure there loads of it at my country park, we seem to stick to black berry leaves plantain small amount of clover dandelion and apple At the moment.

I have only just started foraging I'm sure I've seen the ash but not known what it was not sure what hazel looks like but sure there loads of it at my country park, we seem to stick to black berry leaves plantain small amount of clover dandelion and apple At the moment.

They are great staples. I think most people start with a handful of plants & then add to their foraging repatoire as they go

I went out for a 2.5 hour forage today with the aim of finding some nice fresh young hogweed - reasonably successful .
xuF0X9Al.jpg

Got a nice selection, half for eating, half for drying.

Has anyone checked out sloe berries this year. I know you're suppossed to wait til first frost but i couldn't resist picking these to make gin (not for my bunnies) as they are twice the size they usually get to & really juicy

LZPMPaBl.jpg

Mission to refind huge apple tree failed

I went out for a 2.5 hour forage today with the aim of finding some nice fresh young hogweed - reasonably successful .
xuF0X9Al.jpg
[/IMG]
Got a nice selection, half for eating, half for drying.

Has anyone checked out sloe berries this year. I know you're suppossed to wait til first frost but i couldn't resist picking these to make gin (not for my bunnies) as they are twice the size they usually get to & really juicy

LZPMPaBl.jpg
[/IMG]

Mission to refind huge apple tree failed
Woweee hogweed crispies!!

Small haul today
3f9498017b06c0983f9e45d83152c4e5.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Yeaaa Clementine tried to eat peace lily [emoji849] luckily none was ingested but I've still got a piece missing on the leaf she nommed [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

It's hard to know when they tip over into the toxic dose of anything.

Many bunnies will be perfectly safe with a little nibble, but some poisonous plants are obviously tasty, which is a shame :(

are you drying for now noms or winter noms? Does Toby still eat fresh? Would he like some hogweed crispies?
Yes Toby is still eating fresh :D. I have a lot of dried willow and dandies for winter. I seem to go through everything else really quick! I have started to stock up on brambles now. I can't take anymore of joeys hogweed crispies!

So I have a question about brambles. I only tend to pick the leafs that look really spotless which is hard to find. Why do brambles tend to look a bit manky?

So I have a question about brambles. I only tend to pick the leafs that look really spotless which is hard to find. Why do brambles tend to look a bit manky?

I think this time of the year, the reason is probably that the leaves are becoming autumnal and will slowly die and then drop. I think you'll find it increasingly difficult to find really spotless leaves. I do pick leaves which are at that stage, as long as they don't look diseased or are spoilt with a bird dropping.

I think this time of the year, the reason is probably that the leaves are becoming autumnal and will slowly die and then drop. I think you'll find it increasingly difficult to find really spotless leaves. I do pick leaves which are at that stage, as long as they don't look diseased or are spoilt with a bird dropping.
How can I tell between a diseased bramble and a dying one?

How can I tell between a diseased bramble and a dying one?

A leaf that's nearing the end of it's life will look overall a bit tatty, a bit yellowy and will possibly be a bit less rigid. One that's diseased will have definite signs of something abnormal. Sorry, it's not easy to describe, but I think you would recognise the difference if you saw it. Most leaves at this time of the year will just be old and looking sorry for themselves.

Had a lovely afternoon foraging with Bob (not panic foraging cos it'll soon be winter at all)

The dining room table is full

Pmnbxhr.jpg

& so is the crochet hammock drying chair thingy

UpGwKtX.jpg

loads of sloes for gin

cKJ7VPt.jpg

Didn't see any wildies out :( Did see a heron

It is a lot! I may have overdone it slighly. I harvested my pears today:love: I got 15 in total :lol: Decent size though

I agree :thumb: They look really good with nice unblemished skin :) I would put them in a box somewhere cool and arrange them so they don't touch each other. Then keep checking them to see when they are ripe.

ETA I've just remembered you've got a cellar haven't you. I'd put them in there.

I agree :thumb: They look really good with nice unblemished skin :) I would put them in a box somewhere cool and arrange them so they don't touch each other. Then keep checking them to see when they are ripe.

Oh right - I was thinking of using brown paper & shoving them in one of the fridge drawers. Why can't they touch one another?

Back