• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Ash & Rowan leaves (& trees) are really different to look at - which sounds stupid as Rowan is Mountain Ash I think. Neither has had leaves up here for well over a month. Rowan has very distinctive orange berries that turn red (they are still hanging on to branches for dear life) .

Thanks J&B. I think I need you to help me here - what are your consultation rates :lol:

Right - the tree I saw a few days ago had berries, but it's the only rowan/ash tree I have ever seen with berries.

Wish I wasn't such a forage numpty :roll:

Rowan fruited like mad here this year. Found on an old photo of Rowan for you, no Ash though

xtKAQI9m.jpg
Study leaf shape - its quite distinctive.

Rowan fruited like mad here this year. Found on an old photo of Rowan for you, no Ash though

xtKAQI9m.jpg
[/IMG] Study leaf shape - its quite distinctive.

Thank you, that's really kind of you.

The tree overlooking my garden is not that, even though I'd been reassured it was Rowan.
It must be Ash as I haven't seen any leaves like those before.

Just for interest .....

My rabbits have had a very large bundle of leaves (no twigs) over the past few days for their breakfast. These have always been Apple, Pear, Ash, Alder and Hazel.

Every day they have eaten them, based on the following preferences, Alder first, then Ash, Apple, Pear and Hazel. Indeed the Pear and Hazel get left until they can be sure that nothing more tasty to them is going to be delivered.

It's not the result I would have predicted.

Anyone foraging for Christmas decorations etc?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have done in previous years. I made a well dodgy wreath last year. I do Christmas prep really late compared to most people so I'll see what takes my fancy closer to the time

I'm impressed my bunnies had foraged tea tonight (strawberry leaves, mint, dandelions, thyme, rosemary, herb robert & kale)

sCE8NM2m.jpg

I have done in previous years. I made a well dodgy wreath last year. I do Christmas prep really late compared to most people so I'll see what takes my fancy closer to the time

I'm impressed my bunnies had foraged tea tonight (strawberry leaves, mint, dandelions, thyme, rosemary, herb robert & kale)

sCE8NM2m.jpg
[/IMG]

Which of these are growing wild? The Herb Robert is particularly impressive at this time of the year :) Haven't seen any here for a while. From what I can see in the garden we've still got Red Deadnettle and Cow Parsley. Could probably find some Dandelions. There are also still a few Alder leaves dropping.

Which of these are growing wild? The Herb Robert is particularly impressive at this time of the year :) Haven't seen any here for a while. From what I can see in the garden we've still got Red Deadnettle and Cow Parsley. Could probably find some Dandelions. There are also still a few Alder leaves dropping.

only the herb robert & dandelions - the rest I helped self to from community veg garden

This sounds really "rural villagey" :) How does it work? Does everyone do a bit of the planting and tending? How large an area is it?

Its not large, mainly big planters with strawberries, herbs, cabbage (& in summer lots of borage - is that a people food?)Apple trees & stuff then it rambles of in to wasteland (good foraging turf) before it meets the beck

This is how I think it works. A group of women 60+ meet to tidy & garden village & plant veg / herbs for my bunnies . Its very kind of them

Its not large, mainly big planters with strawberries, herbs, cabbage (& in summer lots of borage - is that a people food?)Apple trees & stuff then it rambles of in to wasteland (good foraging turf) before it meets the beck

This is how I think it works. A group of women 60+ meet to tidy & garden village & plant veg / herbs for my bunnies . Its very kind of them

It sounds really wonderful :love: And the women in return get lots of healthy exercise :)

The only human uses for Borage that I'm aware of are that people float the flowers in glasses of Pimms or they use it as cut flowers in the house.

What would you guys say are the prettiest wildflowers safe for bunny consumption, that can be grown in the garden?

What would you guys say are the prettiest wildflowers safe for bunny consumption, that can be grown in the garden?

Tough question as they are all pretty! Wild Geraniums would be a good choice as they are perennial as well as pretty.

Violets! Great ground cover, lovely flowers, bunny safe, great in shade, almost any ground condition, ticking all the boxes :D Wallflowers are great but really invasive, and not great in quantity: we feed the flowers during flowering season, but the plants are a good Winter staple although we never feed freely. Dead nettles are also amazing: we have the white ones with the big flowers which the bees go mental for, but the purple ones with the smaller flowers are arguably prettier, and you can get variegated varieties. Vetch is good but a PITA for spreading where you don't want it :lol: I wouldn't plant Herb Robert as it's not pretty enough but I leave it where it self-seeds :)

i got a tiny bundle of herb robert dandelions & grass yesterday - might go brambling tomorrow. I forage very little in winter though. Can't wait til April

The 6th of April is usually hot (my birthday) so I'm hoping to a week off to forage! When is everything lush and green again usually? End of march?
i got a tiny bundle of herb robert dandelions & grass yesterday - might go brambling tomorrow. I forage very little in winter though. Can't wait til April

The 6th of April is usually hot (my birthday) so I'm hoping to a week off to forage! When is everything lush and green again usually? End of march?

:lol::lol:

March 2018......

GSwOLF4.jpg

N6WvACv.jpg

7uzgsnN.jpg

Last edited:
Back