Page 210 of 210 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2100

Thread: my foraging diary

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    So many trees have little tiny green shoots as well as ground plants coming up earlier. Whilst I should be worried its all occurring too early I'm just excited about how much easier it will be to feed my sickly boy in a month or two
    Agreed it will be easier to forage earlier. It is worrying though and there will be examples right across the natural world where there will be a mismatch with availability of food eg Bluetits and caterpillars.

I went on a really long forage yesterday & got decent helpings for all four of my bunnies. There are a couple of hawthorn trees that always come in to leaf quicker than others - these have already got tiny green shoots on a few branches - I can't believe this was in January.

Wise Old Thumper

I went on a really long forage yesterday & got decent helpings for all four of my bunnies. There are a couple of hawthorn trees that always come in to leaf quicker than others - these have already got tiny green shoots on a few branches - I can't believe this was in January.
    The Hawthorn is super early. Ours in the garden isn't quite that far advanced yet. Did Rudey like it?

I noticed today that the grass looks a bit longer and a bit less tatty. Star plants here though are still the Red Deadnettle. They're covered in a mass of flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    The Hawthorn is super early. Ours in the garden isn't quite that far advanced yet. Did Rudey like it?

I noticed today that the grass looks a bit longer and a bit less tatty. Star plants here though are still the Red Deadnettle. They're covered in a mass of flowers.
    No ..but he really does like most fresh forage. Todays findings:

[IMG][/IMG]

bonus blurry pics of the lesser spotted J&B

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by joey&boo; 24-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.

No ..but he really does like most fresh forage. Todays findings:

[IMG][/IMG]

bonus blurry pics of the lesser spotted J&B

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Great haul and great photos

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

Plants have decided it's time to grow now

I'm so excited for full on spring foraging. I am going to forage like I have never foraged before I intend to adopt a more methodical approach (bulk harvesting, drying & storing) & ensure there will be no slim rations next winter

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Great haul J&B! And always good to get bonus pics of their majesties enjoying the fruits of your labours!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

I'm so excited for full on spring foraging. I am going to forage like I have never foraged before I intend to adopt a more methodical approach (bulk harvesting, drying & storing) & ensure there will be no slim rations next winter
    Can I ask, so you pick the stuff, then do you wash it, let it air, then store? Or do you let it air then just store it and wash before giving it? I always feel like if I was to pick, wash, store it would go all weird.. And how do you get it to dry out without going all weird/mouldy? Sorry if that's a lot of questions

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Can I ask, so you pick the stuff, then do you wash it, let it air, then store? Or do you let it air then just store it and wash before giving it? I always feel like if I was to pick, wash, store it would go all weird.. And how do you get it to dry out without going all weird/mouldy? Sorry if that's a lot of questions

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I really like these kind of questions - i'm no expert but award self 9.9 / 10 for trying
    Things I pick at ground level I sometimes swill in a cold water bath but I never wash tree forage or ground forage that wouldn't be accessible by dogs or picked high up from the plant. I visually check as I pick for things I consider that need to be discarded. Bird Poo is at the top of the list but any unhealthy leaves, bugs, berries etc. I don't fuss much about that stage. As long as you have good air rotation most stuff dries well given enough time. I often go through a series of different techniques & locations. Make sure final storage allows some air flow too.

On hot sunny days laying easy to dry leaves outside are pretty much done in a day if you rotate them a few times