• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet of a rabbit with liver problems

Bindi

Warren Scout
Just before New Years one of the rabbits at the Rescue suffered sudden liver failure. Amazingly he survived and is now on several meds a day. We found out recently, when asking if he could be let out to graze, that our vet considered it too much of a risk to his liver to be allowed fresh grass as its digestion would put more strain on it. This led to the progression: What else shouldn't we be feeding him?

I can't ask the vet right now about this, but wondered if anyone else had any experience of any veg or herbs that should not ideally be fed to a rabbit with liver function issues.

Thanks

Just before New Years one of the rabbits at the Rescue suffered sudden liver failure. Amazingly he survived and is now on several meds a day. We found out recently, when asking if he could be let out to graze, that our vet considered it too much of a risk to his liver to be allowed fresh grass as its digestion would put more strain on it. This led to the progression: What else shouldn't we be feeding him?

I can't ask the vet right now about this, but wondered if anyone else had any experience of any veg or herbs that should not ideally be fed to a rabbit with liver function issues.

Thanks

I guess to some extent it would depend on what caused the liver failure, and what type it is? Whatever the case, I'm surprised about the grass as it's rich in moisture and fibre. Did the vet say to restrict hay as well?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Fat_liver/Liver_en.htm

http://rabbit.org/liver-hepatic-disease-in-rabbits/

Don't forget that the liver can regenerate itself, and milk thistle is useful in this regard. Of course, always in conjunction with vet's advice.

Good luck x

At the time of the liver failure (which was extremely acute) I was not in my current job role and the manager of the time is not in contact with us any more. Vet says he can have dried stuff but not fresh grass. We are weaning him off his meds one at a time, slowly. The milk thistle is good to know, I'll try to remember that. Thanks for the links. I can't remember what the explanation was for the grass, it was something about the content of it that made the liver work harder when it was fresh (it wasn't me he spoke to).

At the time of the liver failure (which was extremely acute) I was not in my current job role and the manager of the time is not in contact with us any more. Vet says he can have dried stuff but not fresh grass. We are weaning him off his meds one at a time, slowly. The milk thistle is good to know, I'll try to remember that. Thanks for the links. I can't remember what the explanation was for the grass, it was something about the content of it that made the liver work harder when it was fresh (it wasn't me he spoke to).

Thank you for that.

When you find out why fresh grass is contra-indicated, I'd be very interested to know :)

Turns out the vet recommended against food with high iron content as the liver is involved with its processing in the body, so he's off grass, cabbage, spring greens etc. We have just stopped the second of his five meds so fingers crossed he can cope :)

Turns out the vet recommended against food with high iron content as the liver is involved with its processing in the body, so he's off grass, cabbage, spring greens etc. We have just stopped the second of his five meds so fingers crossed he can cope :)

Thank you :D

That's really interesting to note. I hope it works for him x

Back