• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thank you so much

Sso2016

New Kit
Hi I previously posted 'in need of advice' in March concerning whether or not to get my bunny Sprinkles spayed. I said she was 5 and her sisters had just died, one from aggressive ovarian cancer. I was heartbroken and guilty they hadn't been spayed as Snowflake's death could have been prevented. I posted and was given nothing but positivity from MightyMax, Omi, daphnephoebe and bunny momma. I owe you so much. I had booked her in for her spay but unfortunately I had to go to hospita for an emergency, then Sprinkles got an eye infection. So the spay had to be delayed. She was just spayed today, they found fluid in her uterus that would have developed into pyometra or worse cancer. She's been cleared of either and I owe that to you all. You've made me a better bunny owner and Sprinkles has her life because of you. Thank you so much

Thank you so much for posting this update. I am pleased to hear the news about Sprinkles. I hope she recovers well from her spay.

Hi I previously posted 'in need of advice' in March concerning whether or not to get my bunny Sprinkles spayed. I said she was 5 and her sisters had just died, one from aggressive ovarian cancer. I was heartbroken and guilty they hadn't been spayed as Snowflake's death could have been prevented. I posted and was given nothing but positivity from MightyMax, Omi, daphnephoebe and bunny momma. I owe you so much. I had booked her in for her spay but unfortunately I had to go to hospita for an emergency, then Sprinkles got an eye infection. So the spay had to be delayed. She was just spayed today, they found fluid in her uterus that would have developed into pyometra or worse cancer. She's been cleared of either and I owe that to you all. You've made me a better bunny owner and Sprinkles has her life because of you. Thank you so much

How lovely of you to post this update. Thank you!

I am so pleased to hear about Sprinkles' spay, and the life she has to look forward to with you x

Another update

I hope you don't mind if I update again but I'm so happy. Sprinkles is doing so well, when we arrived to pick her up she hadn't eaten the greens I provided the vet with - corriader, basil and mint. She started eating while we were talking which was great. She was out of it, which I didn't realise until she was how much til I got home. She ate all her greens, a little hay and a couple pellets but because she was still groggy I took the pellets out just in case she choked. Today she's really perked up - destroying her newspaper though but she's really restless not used to her cage which she has to stay in for 3 days. I like to let her just run around all day and night as she closes off when she's in a cage. Only a day and a half left til she can have exercise!! I have noticed a white substance like paste stuck to her fleece in various places on her blanket - I rotate them daily I bought three for her spay. I looked it up and it seems to be calcium deposits I've hadn't seen before as her normal litter tray is newspaper with lots of hay. She grinding her teeth as well I've given her metacam every day at 12 which wasn't provided by the vet but I had some left over from the respiratory and eye problem she had so I told the vet technician I was providing her with pain meds - she said rabbits are stoic and don't need pain relief like humans. I don't agree, so she wrote down the dosage and said don't give any til 12pm. Other than this she's doing so well, she hasn't chewed at her stitches and she's eating her cecotropes too.

Last edited:
Glad Sprinkles is doing well. You're absolutely right that rabbits need pain relief, the technician is completely wrong.

Glad Sprinkles is doing well. You're absolutely right that rabbits need pain relief, the technician is completely wrong.
Thank you I'm so amazed by her. The technician didn't really make sense because rabbits try to hide pain means they should be left in pain - I didn't really get her logic. Also as she was munching so happily I wasn't going to risk her losing her appetite.

I hope you don't mind if I update again but I'm so happy. Sprinkles is doing so well, when we arrived to pick her up she hadn't eaten the greens I provided the vet with - corriader, basil and mint. She started eating while we were talking which was great. She was out of it, which I didn't realise until she was how much til I got home. She ate all her greens, a little hay and a couple pellets but because she was still groggy I took the pellets out just in case she choked. Today she's really perked up - destroying her newspaper though but she's really restless not used to her cage which she has to stay in for 3 days. I like to let her just run around all day and night as she closes off when she's in a cage. Only a day and a half left til she can have exercise!! I have noticed a white substance like paste stuck to her fleece in various places on her blanket - I rotate them daily I bought three for her spay. I looked it up and it seems to be calcium deposits I've hadn't seen before as her normal litter tray is newspaper with lots of hay. She grinding her teeth as well I've given her metacam every day at 12 which wasn't provided by the vet but I had some left over from the respiratory and eye problem she had so I told the vet technician I was providing her with pain meds - she said rabbits are stoic and don't need pain relief like humans. I don't agree, so she wrote down the dosage and said don't give any til 12pm. Other than this she's doing so well, she hasn't chewed at her stitches and she's eating her cecotropes too.

What?????

You are absolutely right to give her pain relief. Shame on anyone that says a rabbit should put up with pain!

Well done you, and vibes for her continued healing :D

Back