• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separating for illness

So far so good. They're not 'cuddling' yet but they have been together in there usual living space for about 7 hours now and all seems OK. They've been lying about half a foot apart from eachother. No growling or fighting :)
Phew!

So far so good. They're not 'cuddling' yet but they have been together in there usual living space for about 7 hours now and all seems OK. They've been lying about half a foot apart from eachother. No growling or fighting :)
Phew!

What a relief!

Did they say you could send them in together next time?

Yes they did :)
She actually brought it up before I had chance :)
He may be really poorly but he still gives me a hard time with his meds. He needs 1ml of metacam twice a day which is pretty much impossible but I think me and my partner are just going to have to man-up a little bit. He just struggles so much, even when you wrap him up. And he's got a funny little mouth, we really struggle getting the syringe in :(

Yes they did :)
She actually brought it up before I had chance :)
He may be really poorly but he still gives me a hard time with his meds. He needs 1ml of metacam twice a day which is pretty much impossible but I think me and my partner are just going to have to man-up a little bit. He just struggles so much, even when you wrap him up. And he's got a funny little mouth, we really struggle getting the syringe in :(

I think I shall rename Metacam 'Marmite' :lol: Love it or hate it. I don't understand why some of my bunnies adore it and others struggle just like yours.

Can you flavour it with a little bit of baby food or apple sauce in the tip?

We've literally tried everything. He doesn't seem to like mushy stuff which makes it quite difficult to disguise. He hates metacam but he also hates syringes! He hates being picked up too :lol:
We managed to hide panacur in a shredded wheat but I'm not sure it will work with metacam really. Plus I'd so much prefer to get it all in his gob in one go to make sure it has the desired effect!

I'm considering nipping into my vets with him tomorrow and seeing if they can help me to figuring out an easier/quicker way. The hardest part is getting the syringe into his mouth.
What a palava! He knows that I'm too soft and that I'll let him get away with murder! Well not this time buddy! :lol:

I'm so pleased that Hiro still has a rabbit friend :D I find it's amazing how clever rabbits are in preventing food being syringed into their mouth if they decide they don't want it.

Personally I don't use a towel to wrap them up. I find that seems to stress them. I hold the rabbit very firmly on my lap, using the free hand and arm to stop movement especially from the legs. I then approach the rabbit's mouth from the side (there's a gap between the teeth here) and syringe the medication in small doses. Remember though, what works for one rabbit is not going to work for another and it's just finding something that works for you and being confident about it. I used to try mixing it with food etc, but found that it was maybe OK the first time, but then the rabbit decided not to eat the next dose:roll: I would much rather master the technique of getting all of it into the mouth without any added flavouring.

Good luck :thumb:

I'm glad to read you were able to have them back together. Good luck with the meds xx
and lots of vibes for him

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We've literally tried everything. He doesn't seem to like mushy stuff which makes it quite difficult to disguise. He hates metacam but he also hates syringes! He hates being picked up too :lol:
We managed to hide panacur in a shredded wheat but I'm not sure it will work with metacam really. Plus I'd so much prefer to get it all in his gob in one go to make sure it has the desired effect!

I'm considering nipping into my vets with him tomorrow and seeing if they can help me to figuring out an easier/quicker way. The hardest part is getting the syringe into his mouth.
What a palava! He knows that I'm too soft and that I'll let him get away with murder! Well not this time buddy! :lol:

As a last resort you could ask the vet about injectable Metacam.

Good luck for getting all into his mouth - poor you! I know that feeling where they just let it all run out again .. x

He's got tablets to take too.
Apparently they 'just eat them' :lol: Yeah right!!!!!

I put pills into raisins ..

I must say that with syringe feeding, some rabbits require a bit of 'experimenting' with what suits them in terms of management and position etc .. It takes me a while to get used to what a new rabbit wants ..

He's got tablets to take too.
Apparently they 'just eat them' :lol: Yeah right!!!!!

Hahaha! Hilarious! Where do they get these rabbits from who behave so perfectly? I have tried getting one of mine to take tablets (Cisipride I think). They were very small tablets and I was given a utentsil into which you place the tablet and then you put it over the rabbit's tongue towards the back of their mouth. And then......they are supposed to swallow it. Well my rabbit kept it in her mouth for ages and ages and then very nicely gave it back to me :lol: Raisins seem a much better option :lol:

I ended up making a slit in a little piece of dried mango and putting it in there. He ate it all!
We are struggling with the Metacam though. I'm quite nervy and scared of hurting him and he kept wriggling away. I ended up putting him into his carry case, carrying him downstairs to my living room which is unfamiliar to him and putting him on my footrest. He did struggle but between us we got it done. It's all about getting the right angle for us. He has a really funny little mouth and he clinches shut.
This next week is going to be such a battle and we are all really struggling to be honest. I can't remember the last time I had a good night's sleep :( Now I'm worrying about the aftercare and how long we are going to have to put him through this.

I ended up making a slit in a little piece of dried mango and putting it in there. He ate it all!
We are struggling with the Metacam though. I'm quite nervy and scared of hurting him and he kept wriggling away. I ended up putting him into his carry case, carrying him downstairs to my living room which is unfamiliar to him and putting him on my footrest. He did struggle but between us we got it done. It's all about getting the right angle for us. He has a really funny little mouth and he clinches shut.
This next week is going to be such a battle and we are all really struggling to be honest. I can't remember the last time I had a good night's sleep :( Now I'm worrying about the aftercare and how long we are going to have to put him through this.

Exactly - that's what I was trying (very badly) to say in one of my previous posts. Bunnies all feel comfortable at different angles :D

Try coping with one day at a time. You're doing well - living with bunnies, especially sick ones - can be hard labour at times :roll:

He struggles so much and we are just scared of hurting him I guess. But we do understand that it needs to get done so it will. We just have to try our best :)

You know life is tough when going to work feels like a day off :lol: I actually feel very sorry for my fiancee who is being very strong whilst I'm falling apart at the seams. I know he's holding it together for me.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone on this forum that has offered help, suggestions and support do far. They are my first Rabbits and I've still got a lot to learn and it really helps knowing that I have somewhere to turn. So thank you... again :love:

Back