• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess in foot

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi

Have any of you dealt with an abscess in a front foot? If so what was the treatment, did you have it lanced and flushed or did antibiotics help?

My Frenchie Giselle (with the sore hocks) has now developed an abscess in her front foot :-( Started with a nail bed infection. Had a needle aspiration and culture and sensitivity test and its staph aureus, so resistant to penicillin. She's on septrin for her hocks and had a break of about a week and the abscess formed.

My vet is reluctant (understandably) to lance and drain due to her size, the location and the fact her hocks are sore and not responding to any treatments. So we are doing another bottle of septrin and seeing.... then possibly switching to something else, although she doubts anything will get through the wall.

Anyone any experience or suggestions please?

Thanks mini lop!

Just updating on this and more questions. Her foot swelled up hugely and there was a scab, I thought it might burst and couldn't get an appointment with my vet but managed to get in with Molly Varga last Tuesday (3rd May) She picked the scab off and cleaned it. I've since been cleaning and dressing it and putting Activon on (and in the hole as much as I can). I was meant to have a follow up with Molly this Tues for an x ray to see the cause of her hock problem. However the journey last week really took its toll on both her and especially Fandango (who has thymoma) so I had to cancel the x ray for now.

I was initially cleaning every day but the stress of that and doing her hocks was too much for her so I do alternate days for each now. I'm a bit in the dark about what to do next! I've emailed Molly but not had a reply as yet. There is still pus in there but it hasn't filled up like before. She's on Doxycycline.

I have made an appointment with my own vet (quick trip up the road) for Sat and I'm thinking of asking her to flush it to see if she can get the residual out. Does this sound like a good plan? I cant squeeze it as the hole is on the top of her foot and I don't want to risk damaging any of her bones. My vet has advised it will just fill up again. Is this always the case?

My poor girl has bandages on both hocks and her front foot. Its really not good for her. Ideally she needs the proper use of that front foot again to help her hocks, so ideally I'd like to stop dressing it at some point soon.

Any advice? Am I on the right track getting my vet to flush it? If so then what?

TIA (if anyone responds this time :( )

Back