• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit has scabs under his chin

macy()

New Kit
im on 13 so i dont know much about rabbits but i try my best to research as i would like to be a vet when im older:D
my male english giant rabbit who has a female dwarf rabbit friend and drinks from both bottle water and bowl has a scabby yellow patch right under his chin. i have give him more toys and wood
to chew on but i was wondering if anyone had any advise or idea of what it could be, i plan on taking him to the vets :cry:
thanks in advance Xx

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advise, but hopefully you will get some answers when you visit the vet x

Hello there and welcome to the Forum. I have just googled "Scabs under a rabbit's chin" and as it could be one of a few problems I think it would be the best idea to see a Vet. Hope you get your rabbit sorted.

im on 13 so i dont know much about rabbits but i try my best to research as i would like to be a vet when im older:D
my male english giant rabbit who has a female dwarf rabbit friend and drinks from both bottle water and bowl has a scabby yellow patch right under his chin. i have give him more toys and wood
to chew on but i was wondering if anyone had any advise or idea of what it could be, i plan on taking him to the vets :cry:
thanks in advance Xx

Welcome to RU :wave:

Please let us know what happens when you take him to the vet. It could have developed from his drinking habits, but this usually happens with dental issues.

How old are your rabbits? :)

thankyou everyone! we are taking him to the vets as soon as my dad is off work then ill let you know how it went :(:love:

Welcome to RU :wave:

Please let us know what happens when you take him to the vet. It could have developed from his drinking habits, but this usually happens with dental issues.

How old are your rabbits? :)

my smaller rabbit is about 1 1/2 years an the older one is about 2 1/2, but they have had 11 babies!! fudge (the male) has now been nutered X

Is the bowl he drinks from plastic by any chance? Bowls that are can harbor bacteria which can irritate the skin. Typically it shows as scabs on the chin. I had a kitty who would get it, but it stopped when I switched to a ceramic bowl.

Good luck! :)

Back