• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Infection - Vet tells me there is nothing left to do

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
Hi All

About a month ago my bun had a creamy discharge from the eye. Teeth were inspected and no issue there, nor any history of teething problems.

I did topical antibiotics into his eye as well as localised cleaning beforehand noon and night for three weeks and while it improved it remains persistent and one month later it is still present - streaming liquid down his face, albeit looking less angry than before. He is showing no discomfort or other behavioural issues

The vet does not have any other suggestions (so I will be now looking for another vet), but what can I do in the mean time/try? I dont have the name of what I was given but will fish it out when I get home.

What do I do now?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi All

About a month ago my bun had a creamy discharge from the eye. Teeth were inspected and no issue there, nor any history of teething problems.

I did topical antibiotics into his eye as well as localised cleaning beforehand noon and night for three weeks and while it improved it remains persistent and one month later it is still present - streaming liquid down his face, albeit looking less angry than before. He is showing no discomfort or other behavioural issues

The vet does not have any other suggestions (so I will be now looking for another vet), but what can I do in the mean time/try? I dont have the name of what I was given but will fish it out when I get home.

What do I do now?

A constantly runny eye can be related to tooth root elongation. Tooth root elongation cannot be ruled out without taking skull radiographs. The problem cannot be diagnosed just by looking at the crowns of the teeth.

If tooth root elongation occurs it can mean that the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) is unable to drain, hence the constantly watery eye. Infection can also set in.

Has the Vet tested the drainage of the nasolacrimal duct ? Even if tooth roots are not blocking the duct if there is a thick plug of pus stuck in there then that too would cause a constant 'weepy eye'. It can be possible to flush the nasolacrimal duct to remove any thick debris that may be blocking it.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

But if the problem is related to tooth root elongation and/or a duct that is very narrow due to scar tissue (from chronic inflammation/infection) then the 'watery eye' wont resolve. The condition will require daily management with eye bathing and the application of antibiotic eye drops if necessary.

These links may be useful to take a look at:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.htm

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/insight-into-rabbit-eye-diseases/

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...MAk#v=onepage&q=rabbit dacryocystitis&f=false

Hi All

What do I do now?

Hi there :wave:

Did your vet mention flushing the tear ducts? This is something that may help what you are describing. It sounds like the tear duct may be blocked, and that can happen when elongated tooth roots press onto the tear duct.

You could have the head X-rayed, but there is no solution for the tooth roots pressing onto the tear duct. Keeping the eye and tear duct as clean as possible is essential though, as otherwise the eye gets irritated.

Sometimes the tear duct will need flushing regularly and if your vet is able to do this consciously for your rabbit, it may help. However, as the issue is likely to return, you should clean up the eye itself with cotton pads and cooled boiled water, twice daily and pressing very gently on the tear duct underneath the eye may release some of the 'gunk' which gets infected in the tear duct.

It's possible that changing to another eye drop will not solve the issue, though of course it's necessary if the eye gets irritated or inflamed.

I hope this helps!

Thanks both. Sadly the vet didn't really say anything. However, I have found a small animal vet who I have no registred with and I am taking him tomorrow, so hopefully they will be able to consider x rays/flushing, etc.

I looked into the ointment I was given and it was Chloramphenicol 1.0%. The only thing the vet said was that Terramycin used to work better and I could try and get it on the internet?

Thanks both. Sadly the vet didn't really say anything. However, I have found a small animal vet who I have no registred with and I am taking him tomorrow, so hopefully they will be able to consider x rays/flushing, etc.

I looked into the ointment I was given and it was Chloramphenicol 1.0%. The only thing the vet said was that Terramycin used to work better and I could try and get it on the internet?

You'd need a prescription for it

However, I would wait until you have consulted the other Vet. I assume that you are not in the UK ?

I think finding a more rabbit savvy vet would be the way to go, as you are doing.

In the UK, Terramycin is available through a vet, or on prescription, but I think if you're in the USA or elsewhere that may not be the case.

I do feel the issue may be with the tear ducts and not with the eye itself?

Good luck with your new vet!

Thanks both. I am in the UK so confused as to why she said it wasnt available anymore. In any event I have found a great vet who cares passionately about rabbits and seems to know her stuff. We tried to flush tear ducts last week but there is some sort of structural blockage preventing it. :(

SHe hopes it might be inflamation so this week I am giving my bun 7 days of Isathal to deal with any swelling, and will attempt to flush this Friday again

Thanks both. I am in the UK so confused as to why she said it wasnt available anymore. In any event I have found a great vet who cares passionately about rabbits and seems to know her stuff. We tried to flush tear ducts last week but there is some sort of structural blockage preventing it. :(

SHe hopes it might be inflamation so this week I am giving my bun 7 days of Isathal to deal with any swelling, and will attempt to flush this Friday again

I hope the Isathal will help. Sometimes elongated tooth roots can cause obstruction of the nasolacrimal duct so the Vet may want to look into that possibility should the 'structural' problem remain evident . As previously mentioned skull radiographs are needed to assess the tooth roots.

I'm really pleased you've found a vet who is passionate about rabbits :)

Often elongated tooth roots can prevent the tear duct from draining efficiently, and there is nothing to be done about this other than keeping watch on the affected eye, and gently trying to express 'gunk' as and when possible.

Good luck for Friday xx

Back