• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To de-lump or not de-lump?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Scamp had a little lump pop up last week. He was definitely lump free on the weekend although I thought I maybe felt the skin a little thick, and then Friday he had a lump about the size of a half grape. It's on his ribs, right next to his elbow. Had it stabbed with a needle and the results have come back today it's probably benign but they aren't 100% sure.

The vets are saying options either monitor it or remove - but he does turn nine at the end of the month so anaesthetic is higher risk.

I'm on the fence, for now I've said we'll monitor a couple of weeks to see it it grows and retest, obviously if it turns into something nasty or grows rapidly it comes off, but if it comes back the same do I leave it or have it removed - thoughts? He was tearing up and down the living room at top speed last night so I don't think it's bothering him at all at the moment.

Poor Scamp!

I have a similar issue here (although the lump and the area of loose skin are smaller). Nothing has come back on testing here either. I've adopted the watch and monitor approach. Luckily, neither have changed, Hector seems fine and I've left it. It is hugely worrying though. "Stay the same" vibes coming your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the lump very mobile and is it of a uniform shape ?

I would be inclined to do as you have suggested, monitor it for a couple of weeks.

Cant believe he is 9 now :shock: I remember when you were hand rearing him !

This sounds a lot like the fatty lump I had removed from Mimzy a few years ago. Same thing, somewhere between his foreleg 'armpit' and his chest, biopsy found nothing particularly untoward but removing it was the only way to properly do the pathology, so we did. I think my vet took so much margin it left Mimzy with a little less ability to move that foreleg, and the sutures took forever to reabsorb. If I had it to do again, I think I would've left it and just kept an eye.
Vibes that it's nothing sinister and that Scamp will be just fine. 9 years young! Mimzy just turned 9 this spring. :) xxxx

Scamp had a little lump pop up last week. He was definitely lump free on the weekend although I thought I maybe felt the skin a little thick, and then Friday he had a lump about the size of a half grape. It's on his ribs, right next to his elbow. Had it stabbed with a needle and the results have come back today it's probably benign but they aren't 100% sure.

The vets are saying options either monitor it or remove - but he does turn nine at the end of the month so anaesthetic is higher risk.

I'm on the fence, for now I've said we'll monitor a couple of weeks to see it it grows and retest, obviously if it turns into something nasty or grows rapidly it comes off, but if it comes back the same do I leave it or have it removed - thoughts? He was tearing up and down the living room at top speed last night so I don't think it's bothering him at all at the moment.

I would monitor the lump as you are going to, and if it gets bigger within a few weeks, have it removed and biopsied. Whatever the biopsy showed up, I doubt I would go in for repeat removals.

An adjunct would be an ultrasound to determine whether this lump had invaded any internal organs.

Good luck with Scamp - famous RU bunny :D

Is the lump very mobile and is it of a uniform shape ?

It's not very mobile, you can twitch it slightly but it's not in lose skin (not that he's got much of that as he's so lean anyway) - you can't roll it about in your fingers if you know what I mean. It's uniform, it feels almost exactly like someone has chopped a grape in half and then glued it to his ribs about where the point of his elbow sits. You can wiggle it just enough to tell it's not actually attached to a rib but no more than that.

I can't believe he's nine either. He's very spry too, still jumping and bouncing like a bun half his age :D I think it makes it harder to decide, if he acted old I'd be more inclined to ignore it but it's hard to think of him as old when he runs laps faster than I do :lol:

I agree with the watch and wait approach, that's what I'd do if it was my bun. If it continued to grow or appeared to be causing any problems then I'd have it removed. It's tough making these decisions on their behalf when they can't tell us how they feel.

I agree with the monitor and see how it goes. My bridge bun Rosie had exactly the same when she was about 10, nothing found and it didn't cause her any bother. I monitored it and it never changed and had it for the rest of her life, hope it works out that way for you xx

Oscar had a lump appear on his back, about the size as half a grape, we tried to ignore it but then one of his testicles started to swell so he had to go under to have both removed.
Nothing sinister was found, my vet at the time seemed to relate it to old age!

It's not very mobile, you can twitch it slightly but it's not in lose skin (not that he's got much of that as he's so lean anyway) - you can't roll it about in your fingers if you know what I mean. It's uniform, it feels almost exactly like someone has chopped a grape in half and then glued it to his ribs about where the point of his elbow sits. You can wiggle it just enough to tell it's not actually attached to a rib but no more than that.

I can't believe he's nine either. He's very spry too, still jumping and bouncing like a bun half his age :D I think it makes it harder to decide, if he acted old I'd be more inclined to ignore it but it's hard to think of him as old when he runs laps faster than I do :lol:

As it sounds to be uniform in shape it is probably less likely to be anything 'nasty'. Morse was a real lumpy Bunny and he had several removed. None were ever anything but fatty lumps, except one which was a bacterial infection/cellulitis type thing. A reaction to him having been on antibiotic injections for several months (for his chronic ear problems).

If you did want to proceed with surgery then a pre op' blood profile would give the Vet some idea of his major organ function. From what you have said I dounbt there's much wrong in that department though. We may know Scamp is an 'older' Rabbit, but somehow I dont think he realises it himself !

Well, they do say your as young as you feel.........................which makes me about 110 today ! :roll: :lol:

It didn't do anything for a few weeks but the last week it's suddenly doubled in size so he's booked in Monday to have it removed. He's given it a bit of a nibble too, I don't think it's painful more that it's just behind his elbow and annoying him.

I'd forgot how nerve racking ops are... haven't had to wait through an anaesthetic since his neuter!

It didn't do anything for a few weeks but the last week it's suddenly doubled in size so he's booked in Monday to have it removed. He's given it a bit of a nibble too, I don't think it's painful more that it's just behind his elbow and annoying him.

I'd forgot how nerve racking ops are... haven't had to wait through an anaesthetic since his neuter!

I hope it all goes well Tamsin. Any op and GA is nerve wracking, and you have the added frisson of a lump to biopsy .. I'm sorry!

Sending loads of good luck vibes to you and Scamp :D

I'm sorry that Scamp has got to have his lump removed. Sending lots of good vibes for his operation and biopsy.

I hope his op' goes well on Monday xx

dont know how I missed this - I am sure he will bounce back after the op - wildies always seem to be tough nuts!!!

He's made it through the op fine and has started nibbling. I sent him with packed lunch - grass, dandelion, willow, apple branches, and kale. They are going to keep him a couple more hours to make sure he poops too then he can come home :D

He's made it through the op fine and has started nibbling. I sent him with packed lunch - grass, dandelion, willow, apple branches, and kale. They are going to keep him a couple more hours to make sure he poops too then he can come home :D

Glad to hear this :thumb:

When will you get the biopsy results?

Phew, well done Scamp !

Back