• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental abcess advice

louiseruby86

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

My girl Ebony is in the vets now having treatment for a tooth root abcess on one of her back teeth, she has had X-rays to confirm and a blood test prior to the GA, they have said she will have to come home on pain relief obviously but also antibiotics to be injected daily.

Does anyone have any experience of these abcesses and treatment?

I'm in work now but getting nothing done for worrying about her and waiting for the vet to ring to say how everything went

Hi everyone,

My girl Ebony is in the vets now having treatment for a tooth root abcess on one of her back teeth, she has had X-rays to confirm and a blood test prior to the GA, they have said she will have to come home on pain relief obviously but also antibiotics to be injected daily.

I'm in work now but getting nothing done for worrying about her and waiting for the vet to ring to say how everything went

Hello

I hope that you will soon receive some good news about Ebony. Tooth root abscess treatment usually depends on the exact extent of the infection. It sounds as though your Vet is being very thorough so far by running pre-op bloods and taking skull radiographs. Until you hear from the Vet as to the precise details of Ebony's infection it's not really possible to say what the longterm treatment needed may be. But this link may provide you with some useful information :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm

I've had a bunny with a dental abscess on her jaw bone, she recovered fully (once I found a decent vet). Sending you & Ebony warm well wishes. I'll check back later to see how she is doing

Hi everyone,

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of Ebony, and I hope the treatment goes well for her.

I have had more experience of treating rabbit abscesses than I would wish for, but on the whole they can be treated very successfully!

I have used a combination of either surgery, or lancing and draining the abscess, packing it with Manuka Honey (medical grade 25+) and injectable penicillins.

There are lots of us here who've had experience. You're not alone :wave:

Sending vibes for Ebony :love:

Thank you everybody

I've spoken to the vet, the operation was ok, she has had to have 3 teeth taken out and the abcess lanced so has a open wound on her face, she is staying with the vets overnight and we will ring in the morning to see about her coming home

Thank you everybody

I've spoken to the vet, the operation was ok, she has had to have 3 teeth taken out and the abcess lanced so has a open wound on her face, she is staying with the vets overnight and we will ring in the morning to see about her coming home

Good! She's a brave little soldier and you will have to be very brave too :D xx

They have said she may be on antibiotics for a couple of months and they may be ones we have to inject but that's fine with me, I'm just happy to have my grumpy old lady back

I'm glad the procedure went well. everything crossed your grumpy lady is back with you soon. I've often found a bunny bonds more intensely with you when you nurse them through an illness, she may well not be so grumpy in a month or 2

So just to update this, we have just brought Ebony home, she is on two lots of painkillers, something to stop her going into stasis and an injectable antibiotic, we also have some food we have to try and syringe into her if we can't get her eating

So just to update this, we have just brought Ebony home, she is on two lots of painkillers, something to stop her going into stasis and an injectable antibiotic, we also have some food we have to try and syringe into her if we can't get her eating

Good luck :wave:

It sounds like you and your vet have most things well covered!

I am glad to hear that she is home and I hope that she will be able to eat for herself and remain as comfortable as possible xx

Has the vet suggested how you might keep the wound clean and open?

He has somehow stitched it so it's open, I'm not really to sure, and we are just bathing it twice daily, she is inside on fleece for bedding so it shouldn't get to many bits stuck to it fingers crossed

How is Ebony in herself since coming home? I hope she is managing to eat & poo ok.

When vets leave the wound open i think its an indication it needs to drain so any infection can come out. Unfortunately bunny pus is quite often like toothpaste so the cleaning & packing regime has to be quite invasive as it won't drain of its own accord. I'd recommend giving your vets a call & ask them to go in to details about how to specifically give aftercare to Ebony as what I've talked about might not be appropriate for your rabbit x

Back