• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Polo

*Bex*

Mama Doe
On Wednesday morning I had to say goodbye to my beloved Polo. My best friend.
Polo came to live with me on 5th October 2009 when he was 4/5 months old. He has always been the sweetest, softest, most gentle and kind bunny anyone could ever meet. He always wanted cuddles, he was incredibly kind and patient with my son. He'd even 'play' with his toys with him, pushing and throwing his cars around. He loved playing out in the garden, we'd spend hours on nice days lazing around the garden. His favourite thing to do was to go hide under the bushes when I would tell him it was time to go back inside!
Aside from 2 dentals he has never ailed a thing in his life, he's just been Polo, always fine, always happy.
On Saturday night he was just laid down in and odd place in the shed and not wanting his tea - normally he's dancing round the door with excitement. A vets trip couldn't find any problems so he had the usual medication and he seemed to improve and had eaten half his food overnight. He wasn't right on Monday morning so he was admitted to the vets as the vet felt what she thought was some impacted food in his stomach, and his guts were slow and gassy this was confirmed by X-ray. He was started on fluid therapy and various medications to break the food up and get things going. They also took blood tests.
He came home Monday night but remained pretty quiet and not interested in his food.
He was re admitted on Tuesday where the news was slightly brighter in that his stomach felt better and repeated X-rays show the food mass breaking down and the gas moving through. He had more fluids, more medication and he even ate a bit for himself at the vets. He was discharged for the night but again remained very lethargic and tired at home.
I phoned the vets first thing on Wednesday for an update to be met with the catastrophic news from his blood test results that came through that morning. He was in severe, acute renal failure and the bloods also indicated a possible blockage to the bile duct. There was nothing that could be done. Nothing at all.
Polo was helped on his way just before 11am on Wednesday morning and I am heartbroken.

We all love all our bunnies but I think you know what I mean when I say we all have 'that' bunny, that one we seem to have more of a connection to. Polo was my 'that' bunny.

I love you Polo and I will miss you forever xx

image_zpsy5mvnjht.jpeg

image_zpsu0dnhvxc.jpeg

image_zpsprd8hpdc.jpeg

image_zpsemdclmbo.jpeg

Oh I am so very sorry :cry: I can 100% understand what you mean about having that one extra special Rabbit. Until a person has experienced that unique relationship they cannot possibly understand. It transcends all other relationships, it is totally irreplaceable. I can empathise with your heartbreak :cry:

RIP Polo, you will be loved and remembered forever xx

Oh Bex, I am so very sorry to see this :cry:
What a beautiful and handsome bunny and those pictures with him and your son are so precious! (((((Huge hugs))))) How amazing to have been such a one as to be so well loved by adults and little ones alike.

I am so sorry he had to cross the bridge, but I am sure he is still watching over you and sending his love.
Bless you and binky free, Polo. xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Oh Bex I was so sorry to read this :(

Thinking of you and your family ... Polo was indeed a very very special rabbit :love:

I am so very sorry you lost your big beautiful Polo. :cry: I know it must have been an awful shock to be told the results of the blood test. Hugs xxx

:cry: I'm so very sorry you lost your special boy :cry:
Thinking of you and sending hugs. Binky free Polo xx

I am so very sorry your beautiful Polo as left you :cry::cry::cry:- he sounds like a bun in a million and what a lucky boy to have had the wonderful life he did.

Binky free Polo xxx

:love::cry: sorry for your loss of polo, you can tell from the photos how special he was the bond and love etc, binky free lovely xxx

Thanks all, it still feels totally surreal that he isn't here. I forget for a little while then it hits me again like a very sharp dagger to the heart and if this wasn't enough we get up this morning to find our hamster dead :cry: she was an old girl but I didn't expect to find this this morning :cry:

Thanks all, it still feels totally surreal that he isn't here. I forget for a little while then it hits me again like a very sharp dagger to the heart and if this wasn't enough we get up this morning to find our hamster dead :cry: she was an old girl but I didn't expect to find this this morning :cry:

I'm so sorry :cry: sending hugs xx

So sorry for your loss ... all the harder when the connection is stronger but how wonderful for you both to have experienced it ...

Back