• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lets try again! Bonding Poppy & Ragnar UD - 12th May - Breakthrough :D

MrsCoultas

Mama Doe
Poppy has back to her usual bubbly self now, tomorrow will have been two weeks since her spay and I'm hoping that start bonding her with Ragnar again in the next few days. Last time they got on well for the first week and then started fighting. I'm hoping that now that Poppy has been spayed that things will be a bit easier. The best I can hope for is that they don't feel the need to do the mounting thing again, that we can almost go on from where we left (wishful thinking I know!) But fingers crossed it all goes ok :)

Last edited:
Thank you, managed 10 minutes today before fighting :( It was ok to start, I've made the neutral space smaller, cleaned all of the stuff, new box, and cleaned the floor. They ignored each other for the first few minutes, both presenting their heads for grooming and neither would do it again, then the mounting started and then the fighting. I didn't want to keep them in there for any longer as I was worried it would just get worse.

Oh dear :( I don't have any experience, but all the best with any further attempts. There's some really knowledgeable people on here who can hopefully advise x

So after debating with myself about potentially stress bonding them, I've decided against it for now. Ragnar is a special bunny because he can't be enclosed, he paces and gets super stressed out after being left in a teeny, tiny hutch. I think this is why my bonding sessions weren't going to well as I was doing it in a smaller space than he is used to.

My new idea - moving them into the same room but separating them with a pet pen. It is arriving today and I'm super excited. I need help with a decision. This is currently Ragnar's room and I'll be splitting it in half. Should I put the pen going left to right or from top to bottom (the window to the door) if that makes sense?

21m840k.jpg

Also, that picture was taken before Ragnar moved in and it is a large room, the door has a baby gate on it too :)

Good luck, really hope it works out for you all this time round :thumb:

I think I would probably have the split going from top to bottom. Not sure if you're still having to keep your radiator on but if it is then it might be warmer down that end of the room. If it's split top to bottom then there should be a more even temperature distribution for both and each could sit in the place most comfortable for them. Hope that makes sense!

Good luck, really hope it works out for you all this time round :thumb:

I think I would probably have the split going from top to bottom. Not sure if you're still having to keep your radiator on but if it is then it might be warmer down that end of the room. If it's split top to bottom then there should be a more even temperature distribution for both and each could sit in the place most comfortable for them. Hope that makes sense!

Yes, also with a spilt top to bottom, wouldn't you be able to access both their areas equally easily (if I've understood correctly?)

Good luck! x

Yes, that does make a lot of sense! My heating still kicks on every so often (the water system in this house is really silly at the moment, need to get a plumber in at some point!). And I could have the door panel a bit closer to the actual door so I don't have to walk all the way through one of their enclosures. It's decided :) Top to bottom it is!

It's arriving at about 3pm, I'm weirded out by how excited I am haha. I just gave them a dandilion flower for the first time and they both loved them, so I'm really excited to put them in the garden in a couple of months :)

Huzzah :D Poppy is super happy, and Ragnar too! They've gone nose to nose through the bars, but both are doing half binkies (not so easy to do full ones as the floor is slippy haha). I've moved the panels a bit now so Poppy has a bit more room. It's a bit more difficult to manoeuvre than I'd hoped, the panel with the door is on the end and it doesn't looks very easy to move the panels around, but I'll get it done at some point. But they are so happy, I haven't seen Poppy this happy in a couple of weeks (well, since her spay).

13043670_10156827762020068_752288446480447704_n.jpg

13043563_10156827762365068_6052809562264949021_n.jpg

I got the pen on amazon, it looks exactly the same as the large dog pen from pets at home, and less than half the price at the moment! Here's the link just in case anyone else is interested :) (please let me know if this is allowed, I'll remove if it isn't!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014801PI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a better picture of the set up. I've moved it so I can use the door in the panel, which means I've had to put a zigzag in the middle lol But they still both seem happy, Poppy loafed for a bit, Ragnar is still running around like a mad thing haha

12993606_10156828208060068_1489342415238916661_n.jpg

I just went up and they were sat together on either side, and earlier I noticed Poppy was grooming Ragnar's face through the bars! That's progress right there I think! The problem is, every time I go up to see them, Ragnar comes running to the gate as soon as he notices me, I think I'm a distraction lol.

How's it going with your bonding? Hope all is well :)

It looks great!

Zig zag is good, because it's more stable. Did you have to use millions of cable ties? :lol:

The effort we go to for our buns :roll::lol:

It looks great!

Zig zag is good, because it's more stable. Did you have to use millions of cable ties? :lol:

The effort we go to for our buns :roll::lol:

No, it was really good because it came with them all connected apart from the two ends! And then they give you removable clips so when you want to put it as a pen you can, then just unclip it and fold it back up, it's really good! And so cheap compared to others that I have seen! There are two zip ties, to tie it to the gate on the door haha. I'm looking forward to getting them in the garden in the summer ^_^

It all seems to be going fine, they are sitting on either side of the panels together, I've seen Poppy grooming Ragnar, but I've also noticed that When I've leant over the gate to rub Ragnar's race, Poppy starts tugging at the fur on his bum. The only problem is that Poppy has started marking her side, there are loads of little poos every where and in one corner, in front of her cage, she has started weeing on the floor. I don't have any vinegar at the moment, will try and get some tomorrow, thankfully I don't have carpet haha. Do you think she'll stop doing this once her hormones settle a bit more?

How's it going with your two? Hope all is well :)

Back