• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Contact after spaying question

walsh366

Young Bun
Hi - just enquired re adoping a brother/sister pair of mini lops and looks promising. Brother is neutered but sister is mot.

2 questions if I may - firstly would you spay the sister? (assume yes) and secondly if so, must they be temporarily separated post-op?

I understand the sister is wary and lacks confidence unlike her brother and I fear the op might make her worse. Both just 1 years old.

Thanks Sarah

Hi - just enquired re adoping a brother/sister pair of mini lops and looks promising. Brother is neutered but sister is mot.

2 questions if I may - firstly would you spay the sister? (assume yes) and secondly if so, must they be temporarily separated post-op?

I understand the sister is wary and lacks confidence unlike her brother and I fear the op might make her worse. Both just 1 years old.

Thanks Sarah

Hi Sarah :wave:

Yes, definitely YES to spaying your female!.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

... up to 80% of unspayed females will develop uterine cancer by the age of five!

I would keep them together if possible. If he doesn't pester the life out of her and try to hump her that is. Otherwise separate them for a short period (a week - 10 days) whilst her spay scar heals up.

The op will never make a wary female worse. Quite the opposite. It reduces the free floating hormones and actually makes her less territorial and aggressive/defensive, which could be the cause of her lack of confidence.

I hope your adoption goes ahead - where would they be coming from?

A private ad on a rehoming site in Leicestershire (about an hour from my house). The lady is starting a new job away and wants to find a new home for the pair. I've emailed her a couple of times and asked further questions last night and awaiting response. Seems all above board and genuine. Thanks for replying to my post x

Last edited:
A private ad on a rehoming site in Leicestershire (about an hour from my house). The lady is starting a new job away and wants to find a new home for the pair. I've emailed her a couple of times and asked further questions last night and awaiting response. Seems all above board and genuine. Thanks for replying to my post x

Good luck with it all xx

Sounds like they are getting a good home with you. As Mighty Max says, try to keep them together, it helps recovery as well having her brother with her. Don't rush everything, a bunny finds moving home a stressful time so I would give them a couple of weeks to get to know you. You could go ahead with the vaccs if you wanted thrn wait 3 weeks before spay, allowing the vaccine to become (sorry can't think of the word).

I pondered a vet check and vaccinations first, and see what the vet thought re timing for spay. Pondering now you've said that to try and go for end of the week before the bank holiday at the end of May, as I'll be off work Sat-Wed and hubby off on the Thursday if any problems. Thanks x

I pondered a vet check and vaccinations first, and see what the vet thought re timing for spay. Pondering now you've said that to try and go for end of the week before the bank holiday at the end of May, as I'll be off work Sat-Wed and hubby off on the Thursday if any problems. Thanks x

Yeah I would do vax and vet check first :thumb:

You can then suss out how good the vet is a neuterings and how many he's done - will give you confidence.

Back