• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed - very sore eyes

Well, unfortunately, overall the bathing + cream routine seemed to have helped. However one of the babies - popcorn - still has a problem. At one point it looked like the cream was working, but then her eyes seemed to get more sore again. We stopped with the cream for a day and just bathed her eyes. However the one eye has just got worse and worse. See pictures:

(she's such a super-cute bun!)

This is her left eye and it was actually shut this morning but we bathed it and white discharge came out but finally we got it open. Note that the pictures show popcorn AFTER we bathed and applied the Isathal, so some of the white you see may be cream.

We re-applied the Isathal cream and let her have a run around in the house for half an hour to let it settle in before putting her back in the hutch. She seems lively in herself and ran around happily, coming back to me frequently for a tickle. I will say that when we lifted popcorns top eyelid to put the cream in, the white of her eyeball did look somewhat red.

We are just so worried that we can't seem to get on top of this.

This is the second lot of Isathal the vet prescribed, so the babies have been having it for 2 weeks now, twice daily.

As I say, overall the others seem better, though I still see some redness on the edges of cocoa's eyes, but chunk is seemingly fine.

We are back at the vets tomorrow again. I don't have a lot of faith in her tbh. Last time we were there she said the next step would be to take a swab and send it off for analysis.

It's all getting so costly too, which is another worry - goodness knows how much the swab will cost us.

I'm sorry to hear this. What a worry, and with a vet you don't have faith in - just a money drainer and no progress :(

Nickybunny1 on here had a rabbit (admittedly with glaucoma, which is not the case for your little one) who's eye issue turned out to be an ulcer. She swapped the eye drops for Chloramphenicol, although I haven't heard how well it's working ...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...other-Possibility/page2&highlight=nickybunny1

... You could give her a PM and ask if the eye looks the same as Cody's perhaps?

Otherwise I would definitely post another thread, as Tonibun suggested, asking for a savvy vet in your area.

Good luck!

She is definitely super cute, and that little eye looks sore x

The hutch does have wood shavings (not saw dust) in it yes - the one we use says it is dust-extracted. I have to say that I have wondered about this in the past and have researched alternatives but can't seem to settle on something else to try.

We are in the West Midlands, just North of Birmingham - if there are any rabbit-savvy vets in the area, that would be good to hear.

I would definitely stop using woodshavings, we always advise folk against it - maybe your babies have an allergy towards it. Paper is better and woodshavings can also cause other health problems. I will start a thread for you asking for a savvy vet.

I would definitely stop using woodshavings, we always advise folk against it - maybe your babies have an allergy towards it. Paper is better and woodshavings can also cause other health problems. I will start a thread for you asking for a savvy vet.

Very good point Tonibun.

Though I would be surprised it caused this amount of soreness (in this case), given the other rabbits' eyes cleared up better with the drops?

Very good point Tonibun.

Though I would be surprised it caused this amount of soreness (in this case), given the other rabbits' eyes cleared up better with the drops?

TBH, I'd be happy to swap from woodshavings to something else - what paper-based product is recommended? Or do you mean newspaper or shredded newspaper?

I've also heard about a product called Megazorb - does anyone use that in place of woodshavings?

Last edited:
The hutch does have wood shavings (not saw dust) in it yes - the one we use says it is dust-extracted. I have to say that I have wondered about this in the past and have researched alternatives but can't seem to settle on something else to try.

We are in the West Midlands, just North of Birmingham - if there are any rabbit-savvy vets in the area, that would be good to hear.

Are you anywhere near Sutton Coldfield? One of the Vet's at the practise we use in Sutton is rabbit savvy.

TBH, I'd be happy to swap from woodshavings to something else - what paper-based product is recommended? Or do you mean newspaper or shredded newspaper?

I've also heard about a product called Megazorb - does anyone use that in place of woodshavings?

You can use Megazorb but I personally didn't like it, if it's just for in the litter tray you can use non-clumping cat litter. Also there is Aubiose. I just use newspaper with hay on top.

You can use Megazorb but I personally didn't like it, if it's just for in the litter tray you can use non-clumping cat litter. Also there is Aubiose. I just use newspaper with hay on top.

Just to note that we use the woodchips throughout the bunny hutches, not just in the bedrooms (and we don't have a litter tray for them), so the newspaper/hay solution or other options would have to work for the whole hutch.

Is there anyone else in a similar position? What do you use?

Just to note that we use the woodchips throughout the bunny hutches, not just in the bedrooms (and we don't have a litter tray for them), so the newspaper/hay solution or other options would have to work for the whole hutch.

Is there anyone else in a similar position? What do you use?

I think a lot of us have the space in their area for a litter tray, so it can be cleaned and disinfected regularly, and the rabbit doesn't sit around in wet patches. Mine are 24/7 free range house rabbits with litter trays, so perhaps others can advise?

I know for my boarding and foster rabbits I certainly give them litter boxes, but they are in very large areas and have two or three in there with them.

Back