• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

Took Bellatrix back to the vets yesterday. She now has 4 abscesses but the largest one is slightly smaller. The vet said its not much of an improvement and she would have liked to see more change after a week of the injectable penicillin. We are continuing with the penicillin and metacam and adding back in the baytril on the chance that the combination could help, she said she's had one case where it has a little. I now have 2 options- 1. Operate. The vet said this would have less than 50% chance of success and would be distressing for Bella as her wound will have to be kept open and it's in an awkward place. There's also the chance that she won't actually be able to operate if the abscesses are too close to the wind pipe or a major artery. 2. Is to continue with the medication for as long as possible and decide to pts when her quality of life drops. i have no idea which would be the best option, please can I have some advice xx 😭😭😭😭😭

I am sorry that the news is not better. I dont feel I can advise you as to what to do for the best. Only the Vet and you are really in a position to make that judgement call. Maybe the combination of Penicillin Injections and Baytril may have more of an impact. Sometimes abscesses can wall off and whilst they may not resolve the infection can be contained by giving longterm antibiotics.

I am sure that the Vet wont mind if you need to speak with her again about Bella's options. The Vet may suggest attempting to remove the abscesses and if it became apparent that their location made it impossible then the longterm antibiotic treatment could continue. Some Rabbits are able to cope with having an open abscess flushed daily and packed with either medical grade Manuka Honey of an antibacterial gel. Antibiotic impregnated beads sewn into the abscess cavity is another possibility.

These links might give you some useful information:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/abscess_management.PDF

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Abscessation_rabbits.htm

Took Bellatrix back to the vets yesterday. She now has 4 abscesses but the largest one is slightly smaller. The vet said its not much of an improvement and she would have liked to see more change after a week of the injectable penicillin. We are continuing with the penicillin and metacam and adding back in the baytril on the chance that the combination could help, she said she's had one case where it has a little. I now have 2 options- 1. Operate. The vet said this would have less than 50% chance of success and would be distressing for Bella as her wound will have to be kept open and it's in an awkward place. There's also the chance that she won't actually be able to operate if the abscesses are too close to the wind pipe or a major artery. 2. Is to continue with the medication for as long as possible and decide to pts when her quality of life drops. i have no idea which would be the best option, please can I have some advice xx 😭😭😭😭😭

What I usually do with abscesses like this is have them lanced and drained (not surgically removed so no danger to the rest of her) and keep them open and clean with Manuka Honey. I also give pen injections *daily* for several weeks before moving onto every other day. All vet approved of course. I can't remember how often you're giving the pen injections?

Some people I know have had beads implanted into the abscesses, and these have worked quite well. Ask your vet if he/she has ever used this technique, as it may be best for multiple abscesses, depending on where they are.

Sending vibes and much luck xx

I'm so sorry :cry: I've not seen this thread before, I'm sending mega vibes for her and hugs for you xx

Just hoping for some advice please. So Bellatrix's first and largest abscess is now noticeable smaller. She has the 3 other slightly smaller ones and the 2nd biggest has become very hard and seems to be stuck to the side of the jaw. I have been carrying on with Metacam but stopped the Baytril, I don't think it was doing much and she hated it so much it made giving the Metacam difficult as she didn't trust anything! I am still struggling a lot with the penicillin injections... Yesterday resulted in me freaking out and crying and I only managed to give half. I feel so terrible I am trying so hard but I find it so difficult giving an injection on my own whilst trying to keep a 1 year old child away at the same time.

I don't know what to do. I can barely afford the metacam and injectable pen and can't afford more appointments at the vets for her to just look at her. How long can I carry on with the Metacam and injectable penicillin especially when both Bella and I are finding the injections so distressing? Please help :cry:

I am sorry that you are in this position. I'm afraid no-one can really give you an answer to your question as to how long can you carry on.

I do not have your financial constraints, but I would still want to know what the vet's overall plan is for Bellatrix. You can only in my view come to a good, rational decision if you know what the vet's plan is for her with options, e.g. how long to give the injections before alternative treatment is advised and what that alternative treatment is likely to be depending on the size and location of the absesses when the injections are stopped. I also think, but I have no experience of it personally, that some abscesses are managed long term just with antibiotic injections to keep them stable.

Sending hugs. It must be so very stressful for you. It is difficult to always give the injections perfectly and it must be even more difficult with a small child.

Hi Bellatrix15, I remember you so well from when I used to be on here a lot and I am so very sorry you are going through this ;(. Me and you had our Buns around the same time, sadly I lost Gypsy a few weeks ago to bloat, very sudden and very shocking. I can't imagine what you are going through. I feel for you, I really do, it is heartbreaking. These Rabbits really do became our best friends and the thoughts of losing them is unthinkable. I really hope you find the best solution for Bella and for yourself. Thinking of you :(:love: xx

I'm really sorry you and Bellatrix are having to go through all this :( Abscesses really are awful to have to deal with. I don't know if this would help at all, but when I had to do injections I would put my buns into an empty bathtub (with a towel at the bottom). I found that the easiest to keep them still and in one space and gave me a bit of breathing space not to rush them too much. I know that won't help at all with your phobia of the needles but it may help build up your confidence in doing them a bit.

I agree with Omi that it would help if your vet could give you an indication of what their long term treatment plan is. Unfortunately in my experience, I've found that the abscesses can be so stubborn that a long course of penicllin is needed.

I hope you're able to find a way forward with this, please try and take heart from the fact that it appears that the penicillin has already started to have an effect.

Just hoping for some advice please. So Bellatrix's first and largest abscess is now noticeable smaller. She has the 3 other slightly smaller ones and the 2nd biggest has become very hard and seems to be stuck to the side of the jaw. I have been carrying on with Metacam but stopped the Baytril, I don't think it was doing much and she hated it so much it made giving the Metacam difficult as she didn't trust anything! I am still struggling a lot with the penicillin injections... Yesterday resulted in me freaking out and crying and I only managed to give half. I feel so terrible I am trying so hard but I find it so difficult giving an injection on my own whilst trying to keep a 1 year old child away at the same time.

I don't know what to do. I can barely afford the metacam and injectable pen and can't afford more appointments at the vets for her to just look at her. How long can I carry on with the Metacam and injectable penicillin especially when both Bella and I are finding the injections so distressing? Please help :cry:

I am sorry that things are so difficult for you. As Omi has suggested I would call the Vet to discuss what the longterm plan may be for Bellatrix. If you could find a way to manage the injections then buying medication online (with a prescription from the Vet) would be A LOT cheaper than buying the medication from the Vet

As an example :

http://www.farmacy.co.uk/products/192-depocillin-100ml

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions/metacam-15mgml-oral-suspension-for-dogs-100ml.html

Going back to giving injections, is there someone who could hold Bellatrix for you as you administer it.

Could you time the doses to be given when your child is in bed so you are not having to 'keep him/her away' as you are medicating Bellatrix ?

I'm so sorry, and I really sympathise with your financial situation. The vet appointments are far more expensive than a whole bottle of penicillin. Your vet will be able to repeat the prescription of penicillin within 6 months without seeing Bellatrix again, so that should save you a visit. You can also get needles and syringes online to cut down the cost.

I really hope you can find the best way forward for you both in this situation x

Thank you for all your help, I have read and appreciated everything.

In many ways things have gotten worse and again I would really appreciate the support and advice. Bellatrix has been attacking her bonded partner Theodore. They have had a strong bond and I'm heartbroken that this has happened. Theodore can sometimes be a bit of a pain and pester Bellatrix but she has always put up with it and loves to be with him. I fear that this change has been because Bellatrix is in pain and can no longer put up with him. I have spoken to the vet and we have decided to stop the injections for both mine and Bella's sake and I have appointment for the vet to see bella on Thursday.

The abscesses are somewhat smaller than when they were at there biggest but there are now 5 and one directly in the centre under her jaw. I am keeping up with the metacam which she fortunately enjoys.

I would love your opinions please 😓 xxx

You seem to be struggling so much financially and with the medical care of your rabbit. It's understandable. Would the RSPCA take your rabbit off you if you explain your situation? This would mean your rabbit would be given more chance of recovering. Otherwise maybe the most sensible way would be to have your bunny put to sleep. It's a difficult decision but I don't think anywould would judge you for it.

I find it really difficult to provide advice as to what you should do. This is your rabbit, you are having financial difficulties and you and Bellatrix are finding it stressful to continue with the injections. Also it is only when you are actually living with a rabbit and know that rabbit very well that you have the full picture. You also clearly love your rabbit very much.

So, I can only tell you what I would do. Importantly, I do not have financial complications, so if I wanted to continue treatment that would not be an issue. If I felt the injections were stressing both myself and the rabbit too much, I would take my rabbit to the vets for a nurse to give them. I would only do this if I felt that the injections were helping, which they appeared to be doing albeit not by very much. I would also discuss fully with my vet options for surgical intervention to excise the abscesses. If I felt that the vet was not very rabbit savvy, I would get a second opinion.

I think that without further injections and/or surgical intervention, the prognosis sadly would be poor.

I think you are in a very sad situation and it must be very difficult for you :( Please let us know how you get on at the vets on Thursday.

Thank you for all your help, I have read and appreciated everything.

In many ways things have gotten worse and again I would really appreciate the support and advice. Bellatrix has been attacking her bonded partner Theodore. They have had a strong bond and I'm heartbroken that this has happened. Theodore can sometimes be a bit of a pain and pester Bellatrix but she has always put up with it and loves to be with him. I fear that this change has been because Bellatrix is in pain and can no longer put up with him. I have spoken to the vet and we have decided to stop the injections for both mine and Bella's sake and I have appointment for the vet to see bella on Thursday.

The abscesses are somewhat smaller than when they were at there biggest but there are now 5 and one directly in the centre under her jaw. I am keeping up with the metacam which she fortunately enjoys.

I would love your opinions please 😓 xxx

I think I would review what the vet says what can and can't be done. Realistically, she has a lot going on for her and there are difficulties in here for you also. All of it should be taken into account when you make a decision as to the best quality of life for her and indeed you as well.

Good luck on Thursday xx

I haven't used it myself personally but I have seen it mentioned on here before as, if I remember correctly, one of the "heavy duty" antibiotics that are better for stubborn infections like abscesses. I believe it is given orally so that might make it easier for you and Bellatrix. Hopefully someone will be able to give more advice on their own experience of using it. I think it's worth a shot though.

Bump.

Can anyone share experiences of using Zithromax before Bellatrix goes to the vets tomorrow?

Back