• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

And i've always been of the opinion with pets that all decisions should be made 100% in their interest. Do you think I am anywhere near the stage of having to choose putting Bellatrix to sleep over going through the operation that may not successful? Or am I thinking that the operation will be distressing than it will actually be?

I am sorry that Bella has a facial abscess. I would try to speak with the Vet again and explain your situation regarding being able to afford costly treatment. Many Vets will agree to known clients setting up a Payment Plan where-by the Client pays an agreed amount to their account each week/month.

With regards to the treatment, at this stage you do not know the precise details of what is going on for Bella. The Vet will need to establish how advanced the infection is, if there is tooth root involvement (so skull radiographs would be needed) and also if there is any evidence of osteomyelitis (infection in the bone). Again skull Xrays would be needed to establish this.

If the infection is simply involving soft tissue and if the Vet is able to excise the entire abscess capsule along with a good margin of healthy tissue then the prognosis can be good. Appropriate antibiotic cover would be needed for some time after surgery. The choice of antibiotics being based on a swabs taken from the abscess wall, not just from the pus which may actually be sterile.

Until the Vet can tell you more specific details of what Bella's infection involves try not to think too far ahead and make decisions without having all the facts. I know it's hard not to over-think things and get to 'worst case scenarios'. I am terrible for doing just that myself. But whilst facial/dental abscesses in Rabbits are a real challenge they are certainly not always an immediate death sentence. It can be possible to manage the problem in a more conservative way. This would be unlikely to bring about a cure, but it may well buy the Rabbit a fair bit more good quality time.

My advice is basically speak with the Vet again. Try to get the financial aspect of the situation addressed openly. There is nothing worse than living in terror of being faced with a bill we simply cannot meet. Many Vets are well aware of how finances have to be taken into account when deciding on treatment options for any Pet. Especially when treatments may need to be ongoing and the Pet is not Insured.

These links may be useful to take a look at and if the information given in the links raises any questions for you you could discuss them with the Vet.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Absc_treat/abscess_treat.htm

http://www.rabbitadvocates.org/newsletters/Spring_13.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/Radioscan_main.htm

When you contact the Surgery I'd ask to speak with the actual Vet rather than Reception Staff/Vet Nurse. The Vet may need to call you back if she is busy, but most Vets are happy to do so for a Client who's Pet they are already treating.

And i've always been of the opinion with pets that all decisions should be made 100% in their interest. Do you think I am anywhere near the stage of having to choose putting Bellatrix to sleep over going through the operation that may not successful? Or am I thinking that the operation will be distressing than it will actually be?

No, you are absolutely not near the stage of having Bellatrix put to sleep. An operation, or as I mentioned, lancing and draining the abscess, are perfectly safe ways forward, when combined with antibiotic injections. Many vets use penicillin injections such as Duphapen or Duplocillin. Certainly I doubt the Baytril will help with an abscess.

She will look pretty weird after an abscess operation. Less so if you opt for lancing and draining (which will be a whole lot quicker and cheaper - you can discuss options with your vet). But she will be the same happy rabbit. They usually bounce back and so long as you can afford the time for nursing care and money for vet visits (which should be minimal after the op) then you are going to be OK :D

Finally, always speak with the vet. The vet should always ring you back and discuss treatment options. Reception, and even the nursing staff, rarely have the expertise to discuss treatment.

Check that your vet will be prepared to administer injectable antibiotics, and let you do that too. On one occasion, myy usual vet, when I consulted her about an abscess, said that penicillin will kill my rabbit and she wouldn't contemplate it! What nonsense!

Good luck x

So I took Bellatrix back to the vets yesterday. She now has 3 abscesses :( She has one the size of a golf ball, one the size of a large grape and one the size of a marble. She is still eating and acting normal. The inflammation has gone down some around the original abscess which I am guessing is down to the anti-inflammatory in Metacam? I asked about using Penicillin injections rather than Baytril and she agreed, saying she was at first slightly hesitant because she has seen gut problems with them in the past. Definitely worth the small risk in my opinion! So she is going to have a week of a daily injection and 2 0.3 ml Metacam with another check up on Saturday with the view of an exploratory op and x rays on the wednesday. Please let me know what you all think about this, I am so worried and heartbroken.

I am presuming that the three abscesses are close to each other. I am very pleased that your vet has agreed to give injectable penicillin. I think Bellatrix will stand a much better chance of recovery with it. I can only speak from experience and have used injectable penicillin on four different rabbits now. None of them have had any gut problems.

My doe who is nearly 7 now had a cheek abscess removed almost two years ago. It grew very quickly to become quite large. She had injectable penicillin for a week and then the operation, by which time it had reduced in size. The vet was able to remove the whole capsule and she was given a further couple of weeks of penicillin. She recovered very quickly from the operation. Yes, as others have said, she didn't look very pretty immediately afterwards. However I really can't tell where she had the operation now. Both cheeks look the same to me. She has also had no recurrence.

Sending lots of vibes for Bellatrix.

So I took Bellatrix back to the vets yesterday. She now has 3 abscesses :( She has one the size of a golf ball, one the size of a large grape and one the size of a marble. She is still eating and acting normal. The inflammation has gone down some around the original abscess which I am guessing is down to the anti-inflammatory in Metacam? I asked about using Penicillin injections rather than Baytril and she agreed, saying she was at first slightly hesitant because she has seen gut problems with them in the past. Definitely worth the small risk in my opinion! So she is going to have a week of a daily injection and 2 0.3 ml Metacam with another check up on Saturday with the view of an exploratory op and x rays on the wednesday. Please let me know what you all think about this, I am so worried and heartbroken.

I must have treated dozens of rabbit abscesses - both on my own rabbits and on fosters. OK not all successful, but certainly the majority ! And I think the injectable pen is the way to go. I would say just don't stop the injections too soon after the op.

Rabbits can tolerate it really well, and your vet must have been unlucky to see gut problems arising, as I have not seen any :D

The sooner those abscesses are dealt with, the better, and she can begin her recovery.

Good luck xx

I am presuming that the three abscesses are close to each other. I am very pleased that your vet has agreed to give injectable penicillin. I think Bellatrix will stand a much better chance of recovery with it. I can only speak from experience and have used injectable penicillin on four different rabbits now. None of them have had any gut problems.

My doe who is nearly 7 now had a cheek abscess removed almost two years ago. It grew very quickly to become quite large. She had injectable penicillin for a week and then the operation, by which time it had reduced in size. The vet was able to remove the whole capsule and she was given a further couple of weeks of penicillin. She recovered very quickly from the operation. Yes, as others have said, she didn't look very pretty immediately afterwards. However I really can't tell where she had the operation now. Both cheeks look the same to me. She has also had no recurrence.

Sending lots of vibes for Bellatrix.

Omi has given you a very encouraging account of how some Rabbit abscesses can be successfully treated. It sounds as though your Vet is looking at doing a similar thing as Omi described and if the Vet can remove all of the abscess capsules along with a good margin of healthy tissue then that would be great. Then continuing the Penicillin injections for some weeks after surgery will hopefully mean that the infection can be eliminated.

Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement. I am trying to give Bellatrix her injection now and I just can't do it. Has anyone got any tips? My hands are shaking so much and I feel like I'm going to faint!

Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement. I am trying to give Bellatrix her injection now and I just can't do it. Has anyone got any tips? My hands are shaking so much and I feel like I'm going to faint!

Has the vet nurse shown you how? That's the best place to learn. I realise I means taking her in to the surgery, but you'll gain confidence, you really will.

Sometimes it helps to have two people, one to make sure she is steady, and for you to concentrate on what you're doing. I think many of us dislike sticking needles into our lovely little ones, but you can do it, I know you can :D

I did it. The vet did show me but doing it on my own is a different story (I asked my dad to come and do it yesterday!) I have an injection phobia so this is difficult for me! I did half and then she moved so I had to inject the rest again once I'd got myself together- is this ok!? I am shaking so much and started to blackout.. I'm so pathetic. And there is some blood is that ok??

Penicillin is really not the easiest stuff in the world to inject. I have found it very easily "clogs up" in the syringe and just won't budge. I have abslutely no problem with the thought of injecting a rabbit and it doesn't stress me, but I just simply find it physically difficult. And of course the more it fails, the more stressed you get and then the rabbit becomes stressed. Ugh!

To be honest if you are really finding it difficult, I really would take her to the vets and get a nurse to do it, if its not too far a journey for her. They won't charge very much and it is so important that she has the injections. There are several people on here who seem to find it OK, but please don't feel you are incompetent for not being able to do it :) Maybe after having watched the nurse a few times, you will be able to do it yourself, but I really wouldn't worry if you can't.

I did it. The vet did show me but doing it on my own is a different story (I asked my dad to come and do it yesterday!) I have an injection phobia so this is difficult for me! I did half and then she moved so I had to inject the rest again once I'd got myself together- is this ok!? I am shaking so much and started to blackout.. I'm so pathetic. And there is some blood is that ok??

I think you've done brilliantly and yes it's a totally different story when we have to do these things ourselves.

Can you remind me, is it every day or every other day she's having them? Can your Dad help you out quite a bit, at least to begin with, or is that not going to be convenient?

It's really important she has the injections and I really sympathise with you feeling faint....

I think you've done brilliantly and yes it's a totally different story when we have to do these things ourselves.

Can you remind me, is it every day or every other day she's having them? Can your Dad help you out quite a bit, at least to begin with, or is that not going to be convenient?

It's really important she has the injections and I really sympathise with you feeling faint....

Thank you. It's everyday. I've realised its not fair on either me or Bellatrix for me to do it on my own when it takes so long for me to do it. I'm going to make sure a friend or my dad can be there to at least hold her and keep us both calm at least until I feel more comfortable in doing it.

Just wanted to share these photos of the best rabbit and best friend I could ever ask for. She has helped get me through so much and I can't even begin to imagine how I could cope if she doesn't pull through this :cry:

DSC_0558_zpscpddffzc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0020_zpsnwf3naou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0335_zpsbigtzhrj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0074_zpspsjs1fn7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photo%20on%2028-03-2016%20at%2014.55%202_zpssohh0ggv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(She is totally supported in the bottom photo, she will crawl up my front and get herself into this positioned often falls asleep!)

I can't spend time with her anymore without breaking down in tears, I am finding this so difficult, I owe this special rabbit so much :cry: Please send vibes and prayers for my beautiful Bellatrix, I need her :cry:

Last edited:
Just wanted to share these photos of the best rabbit and best friend I could ever ask for. She has helped get me through so much and I can't even begin to imagine how I could live without her :cry:

DSC_0558_zpscpddffzc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0020_zpsnwf3naou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0335_zpsbigtzhrj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0074_zpspsjs1fn7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photo%20on%2028-03-2016%20at%2014.55%202_zpssohh0ggv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(She is totally supported in the bottom photo, she will crawl up my front and get herself into this positioned often falls asleep!)

I can't spend time with her anymore without breaking down in tears, I am finding this so difficult, I owe this special rabbit so much :cry:

She is really beautiful and I can tell she is also really really special :love:

It will become easier to be with her, with all her trials and tribulations. I know it's really difficult when your friend is ill, as you feel their pain and want to take it away.

I've found that I help my rabbits most by being brave. They then realise how strong we are and how we will always be their rock and helper. It's hard to be brave, but try and make yourself smile when you're with her?

She's still the same little bunny inside, who loves you to bits :love:

She's stunning :love: How old is she?

I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much about her abscesses. She is having the best, the most appropriate treatment and if she's otherwise healthy there's no reason why this shouldn't have a very good outcome.

Took Bellatrix back to the vets yesterday. She now has 4 abscesses but the largest one is slightly smaller. The vet said its not much of an improvement and she would have liked to see more change after a week of the injectable penicillin. We are continuing with the penicillin and metacam and adding back in the baytril on the chance that the combination could help, she said she's had one case where it has a little. I now have 2 options- 1. Operate. The vet said this would have less than 50% chance of success and would be distressing for Bella as her wound will have to be kept open and it's in an awkward place. There's also the chance that she won't actually be able to operate if the abscesses are too close to the wind pipe or a major artery. 2. Is to continue with the medication for as long as possible and decide to pts when her quality of life drops. i have no idea which would be the best option, please can I have some advice xx 😭😭😭😭😭

I'm very sorry to hear that there is now another abscess. However, I really would not give up at this stage.

If it were me I would want to know the exact location of the abscesses in relation to other parts of her body before choosing between the two options you have been given and I think this is only possible with skull x-rays. I think it would be much easier for you to come to a decision once you have this information. A further week of antibiotics may also see some more improvement.

Sending hugs. This must be very distressing for you.

Back