• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chloe - Issue with back legs?

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
Bit of a mystery.

Chloe is generally a very laid back bunny and spends a lot of time stretched out however a few weeks ago she stopped lying down all-together. I also noticed she was stretching out her back legs numerous times a day. I should add that all other behaviour was/is absolutely normal i.e hopping, racing around, standing on back legs. Now I took her to the vets and she had a thorough check over, the vet could not see anything wrong but suggested I give Chloe Loxicom which I have been. She is lying down now (2 weeks later) although not completely stretched out like she used to and only for short periods at a time. It's like she wants to stretch out but finds it uncomfortable. She also is still stretching her back legs an awful lot. I wonder if it could he arthritis?

Chloe is a giant breed and is 4 years old.

I've typed all this out on my phone so sorry if it's a bit naff. I'm just hoping someone may have an idea as to what's going on.

It could be a sore back rather than a back leg problem. Giants are prone to spinal issues. Do her hocks look a bit bald/sore at all.

Thanks for your reply Jane.

I shall have to try and look although it's difficult to see when she's not lying down. I think I'll take her to the vets again at the weekend.

I kind of disregarded it being a hock issue as I thought that lying down would help if anything. It's sad to not see her as relaxed/content as she would normally be.

Thanks for your reply Jane.

I shall have to try and look although it's difficult to see when she's not lying down. I think I'll take her to the vets again at the weekend.

I kind of disregarded it being a hock issue as I thought that lying down would help if anything. It's sad to not see her as relaxed/content as she would normally be.

I am not suggesting that the hocks could be a PRIMARY issue, but Rabbits with a sore back can develop bald/sore hocks as a secondary symptom xx

Bit of a mystery.

Chloe is generally a very laid back bunny and spends a lot of time stretched out however a few weeks ago she stopped lying down all-together. I also noticed she was stretching out her back legs numerous times a day. I should add that all other behaviour was/is absolutely normal i.e hopping, racing around, standing on back legs. Now I took her to the vets and she had a thorough check over, the vet could not see anything wrong but suggested I give Chloe Loxicom which I have been. She is lying down now (2 weeks later) although not completely stretched out like she used to and only for short periods at a time. It's like she wants to stretch out but finds it uncomfortable. She also is still stretching her back legs an awful lot. I wonder if it could he arthritis?

Chloe is a giant breed and is 4 years old.

I've typed all this out on my phone so sorry if it's a bit naff. I'm just hoping someone may have an idea as to what's going on.

It does sound a bit unusual doesn't it?

Is your vet considering an X-ray of her back and legs?

Perhaps her tummy is sore for some reason, and although she can leap around, laying on her tummy for any length of time is uncomfortable?

It's something we may need to consider although she had an anaesthetic not too long ago so I'm not keen on the idea of her having another one so soon.

She had a brief stasis episode a day or so after the anaesthetic and that's when she stopped lying down.

Another thing I have thought possible is that on the day Chloe had her anaesthetic my dad went to collect her and when she got home I noticed there wasn't a towel in the carrier - the nurse must have taken it out to wash and forgot to put it back. She would have been slipping around all over in the carrier so perhaps she could have hurt her leg/legs then. It could he a number of things I guess.

It's something we may need to consider although she had an anaesthetic not too long ago so I'm not keen on the idea of her having another one so soon.

She had a brief stasis episode a day or so after the anaesthetic and that's when she stopped lying down.

Another thing I have thought possible is that on the day Chloe had her anaesthetic my dad went to collect her and when she got home I noticed there wasn't a towel in the carrier - the nurse must have taken it out to wash and forgot to put it back. She would have been slipping around all over in the carrier so perhaps she could have hurt her leg/legs then. It could he a number of things I guess.

Well I guess you could do the 'watch and wait' thing, if otherwise she seems OK in herself. Make a note of times/ dates and symptoms so you've a clear record .

I agree, too many anaesthetics in a short space of time is not something I would want for my rabbits :)

What did she have to go under for? Did she have a needle in her leg vein at all?

I'm also wondering if bladder or kidney complaints would make it uncomfortable to lie in certain ways or not?? I know we can certainly feel it in our backs with our own kidneys!

What did she have to go under for? Did she have a needle in her leg vein at all?

I'm also wondering if bladder or kidney complaints would make it uncomfortable to lie in certain ways or not?? I know we can certainly feel it in our backs with our own kidneys!

She had some fur mats removed from her neck area, I have no idea about where the needle was inserted.

I've booked her in to the vets on Saturday. I wondered about bladder/kidney issues, I'll definitely mention it to the vet.

Well I guess you could do the 'watch and wait' thing, if otherwise she seems OK in herself. Make a note of times/ dates and symptoms so you've a clear record .

I agree, too many anaesthetics in a short space of time is not something I would want for my rabbits :)

I think if the vet is still none-the-wiser on Sat and asks to do an X-Ray I'll ask to wait a bit longer, only because she has made slight improvements and is generally so well otherwise.

Back