• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benji's not well, help needed! update... eating now!

I have got some Ellas kitchen pureed apple with carrot and parsnip, how much is ok to syringe feed him as he hasn't eaten yet? He hasn't moved much since he came home, I think he is still zonked out from the anaesthetic, I have syringed some water already. Has anyone had experience of this with their bunnies? I think I am getting a bit worked up about him! Poor boy must feel awful:(

Have you any critical care, or recovery food to add to the Ella's Kitchen? Or perhaps you can grind up finely some of his pellets? That would be better than the baby food alone, but anything is better than nothing.

I would try and get about 5ml - 10 ml into him every few hours if possible. I realise you may not see this post till the morning, so wishing you all good vibes for Benji.

Brave soldier :love:

Thanks, I am still up with him feeding him a bit at a time, not that he is thanking me for it! He's all cosy in one of my old fleeces and just seems to want to sleep, I know how he feels. My vet wants to see him tomorrow, but to be honest if he starts eating by himself I think the appointment should wait till Thursday otherwise I could set him back by stressing him out with a vets visit!:roll:

Thanks, I am still up with him feeding him a bit at a time, not that he is thanking me for it! He's all cosy in one of my old fleeces and just seems to want to sleep, I know how he feels. My vet wants to see him tomorrow, but to be honest if he starts eating by himself I think the appointment should wait till Thursday otherwise I could set him back by stressing him out with a vets visit!:roll:

How is Benji this morning ? Is he weeing OK and is there any sign of blood in his wee ?

I assume the Vet sent him home with good analgesic cover and antibiotics ?

If he is still showing signs of pain on urination or if he is not passing more than a few dribbles of wee I would take him back to the Vet this morning as he could need additional medication to help with any urethral spasms that may be going on

Sending lots more vibes for him xx

You're welcome :thumb: Sorry I couldn't help you more, but at least you've got some food into him overnight.

How's he doing now?

How's his weeing? If possible, perhaps you could ring the vet, explain any signs and symptoms connected with his waterworks (e.g. straining or blood in wee etc) and see whether they really do need to see him? I agree with you, a vet's visit can be really stressful, especially when he's just had a GA

Sending loads of vibes for Benji xxx

Well, hopefully we have turned a corner with Benji:thumb: He has been nibbling on hay, had some curly kale and parsley and a bit of apple, and then he has done 2 wees and 2 tiny poos!!! I am a lot happier this mornbing, and so is Benji,yay!! I am going to ring vets and ask can I bring him in tomorrow as I feel taking him this afternoon may set him back with his eating?? :)

Well, hopefully we have turned a corner with Benji:thumb: He has been nibbling on hay, had some curly kale and parsley and a bit of apple, and then he has done 2 wees and 2 tiny poos!!! I am a lot happier this mornbing, and so is Benji,yay!! I am going to ring vets and ask can I bring him in tomorrow as I feel taking him this afternoon may set him back with his eating?? :)

Glad to hear that he appears to be improving. I hope that the trend will continue now. Has the Vet given you advice about dietary changes that may now be needing in order to restrict his calcium intake ?

Yes, we are thinking of cutting out the kale once he is recovered and reducing parsley, and adding more herbs ie basil and coriander gradually , and I am thinking of cutting out the pellets altogether gradually of course, he is on excel pellets, Benji is a really good hay eater he has the ings hay from hay for 0pets. What do you think of these plans Jane, any advice is greatly appreciated:)

I'm really pleased to hear this update!

Yes, I hope you can wait a day to get all the valuable advice from the vet about how to prevent any further occurrences :D

yay for eating, pooping & weeing Benji. I'd call the vet & ask if it was ok to postpone a day too, but I reckon to talk to vet rather than reception.

Benji has been to the vets this afternoon, and all is good! He is sat in his tray in the living room munching away on hay, a beautiful sight to see, just so glad he is on the mend:love:

Back