• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinating early

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
Claudia and Desmond's vaccinations are due a few months apart.
Ideally I'd like to reduce stress and have them vaccinated at the same time especially as they are shy and find being handled very stressful.
Are there any risks in vaccinating one bunny 3 months earlier than when their booster is due?

Mouse is having hers 6 weeks early on Monday so she is co-ordinated with Joey & Boo . I trust the vet we are seeing, I'll ask her opinion if that helps

They did a double vaccination to check for adverse reactions as part of the safety dossier for the combined vaccine. There were no adverse effects noted except a slight temperature increase in some rabbits. That was a repeat dose at the standard dose 3 weeks after an initial vaccination at 10 times the standard dose.

Thanks. My only reservation is that they're both older bunnies 9 and 7, so I know they may be more prone to things going wrong

If it were me, I'd meet in the middle but I know not everyone is comfortable with that and it may also impact any insurance policies if you've stated they're vaccinated.

I think the truth is, no one really knows.

It took years to discover the over vaccination perils in cats and dogs, and it's quite possible this may impact on rabbits too. Especially with the VHD-2 vaccine, and the fact you have to give it twice in the first year ...

I asked Heather vet at Crab Lane Surgery today about whether she would advise vaccinations as much as 3 months early with bunnies of 7 & 9 years & she reckons it would be fine. Frances Harcourt-Brown apparently used to get her rabbits vaccinated with the combi every 6 months to guard against the additional risk of her seeing myxi cases at the surgery

I think it's unlikely you'd see anything different vaccinating three months early to vaccinating at spot on 12 months. If they are going to have a reaction the three months isn't going to make a big difference.

Back