• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking Snoopy to choose a new friend? U/D found him a friend

I have an appointment at a rescue this Saturday to find a new friend for Snoopy. My plan was to take him along so he can choose for himself. However I was wondering if that would make a significant difference to the likely success for a future bond? (I'm going to attempt it myself but the rescue does offer to do it if anyone runs into difficulties). My thinking is that a short introduction in an unfamiliar environment for him might not give a good indication of how they would get on once back here on his own turf. He had a very difficult day yesterday and I don't want to put him through another stressful journey if in the end it would make little difference to the likelihood of a successful bond.

Any input would be much appreciated :wave:

Last edited:
I really like that method, I think you can tell quite a lot with that first meeting. I've used it for all but one of my bonds

Angel visited rescue & choose 3rd bunny we tried - Ralph - perfect super easy bond, really close double & snuggle act. They just snuggled within a few minutes

I rescued Kitty after Angel died, Ralph had no say in it. They were aggressive during bonding & never super close.

Noodle & Myrtle were adopted as a pair. When Myrtle died & Noodle recovered we took Noodle to the RSPCA. Tried "sweetie" 1st. He wasn't. He was complete sex pest. We then tried Joey who went & sat by her blind side. Back home he tried to ignore her, she followed him round pestering for loves & won him over in a few hours. Firmly bonded til Noodle left.

So took Joey to meet Boo in Manchester for their initial date. Within seconds she binkied, rolled over & they chased but quite nicely, no fur pulling. Then Joe hid by my legs

When we wanted to adopt Mouse & attempt to bond her with Joey & Boo we took them to camp Nibble to meet. It was clear Joey & Mouse would find love instantly. I maybe underestimated the mini lunge Boo had at Mouse while we were there.

Sorry about the essay. I'm sure its not fool proof but for me it has helped. Hope you & Snoopy are coping ok x

Thanks Joey&Boo, that's really helpful :) I think I'll go with my initial instinct and bring him along. He's doing ok but is fairly quiet which is only to be expected. I really hope he'll find a new friend there, I feel so bad for him at the moment :(

You're welcome. I just hope Snoopy approves of my advice too and finds another lovely bunny without too much kerfuffle

Well I took Snoopy to the rescue earlier today and the good news is that his introductory meeting with the first rabbit we tried went really well so I have reserved her and will be collecting her next weekend as I have to do some prep work before I start bonding (neutralising, getting puppy panels etc).

The lady at the rescue said their first meeting was very promising, they were relaxed around each other and she even groomed him a little bit. Although there was a bit of scuffling as they were trying to establish dominance.

I'm going to spend this week reading everything I can about bonding and hope I don't do anything stupid to ruin the chances of a successful bond! :shock:

I'm really glad I took your advice J&B to take him along to meet her :wave: As I have no experience in bonding it's really useful to start off with one that seems to have a decent chance of success.

Well I took Snoopy to the rescue earlier today and the good news is that his introductory meeting with the first rabbit we tried went really well so I have reserved her and will be collecting her next weekend as I have to do some prep work before I start bonding (neutralising, getting puppy panels etc).

The lady at the rescue said their first meeting was very promising, they were relaxed around each other and she even groomed him a little bit. Although there was a bit of scuffling as they were trying to establish dominance.

I'm going to spend this week reading everything I can about bonding and hope I don't do anything stupid to ruin the chances of a successful bond! :shock:

I'm really glad I took your advice J&B to take him along to meet her :wave: As I have no experience in bonding it's really useful to start off with one that seems to have a decent chance of success.

Aw brilliant news. I'm glad my advice helped, bunnies are so wise why not let them chose, none of this arranged marriage malarkey :lol: I honestly believe it is the reason most of my bunnies bonds have gone so well. I didnt even know about the neutral territory thing til i joined here (less than a year ago) & it was never an obstacle for my bunnies that chose each other. I'm not for one minute suggesting you don't neutralise everywhere, everyone says it so there must be a lot of truth in it. Tell us all about her then :wave: What does she look like, whats her name & personality? x

I missed your original question, but really pleased with the outcome of you taking Snoopy along :D

I always think it's a good idea to have neutral territory, particularly when bringing a female home to a male environment, just to ensure no 'throw backs' to territorial behaviour.

Good luck with your reading and I look forward to more info about the lucky lady :love:

Thanks everyone :wave:

Well this is Snoopy's fiancée-bun: http://cuddlycrittersrehoming.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=200962691

She's currently called Helena but I can't decide whether to keep the name or give her a new one. She is much more beautiful in the flesh :love: She seems quite a confident girl. I think if she were human she would be sporting a low cut leopard skin top and leather mini skirt :lol: Be interesting to see what she's like in a new place.

Thanks everyone :wave:

Well this is Snoopy's fiancée-bun: http://cuddlycrittersrehoming.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=200962691

She's currently called Helena but I can't decide whether to keep the name or give her a new one. She is much more beautiful in the flesh :love: She seems quite a confident girl. I think if she were human she would be sporting a low cut leopard skin top and leather mini skirt :lol: Be interesting to see what she's like in a new place.

She's lovely :love:

I can see what you mean about the leopard skin :lol:

Back