• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy is getting spayed/fur in eyes

MrsCoultas

Mama Doe
Poppy is booked in for her spay on Friday, I'm so nervous about it. I know it is for the best, I'm just a natural worrier. I've ordered some carefresh for her bedding and litter tray so it's nice and soft, and I've got some soft towels, puppy training pads just in case she doesn't make it to her litter trays, her favourite bath mat to sit on. We have wood laminate floors, so if she needs something cool to lie on she should be ok on the floor. Is there anything else you think I need to do, or anything that I shouldn't attempt? She is pretty much impossible to pick up, is there a good way to check on the stitches, I don't want to forcibly pick her up and risk injuring her. Any advice for an easier recovery would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, I've noticed that Ragnar is moulting so much at the moment, I ordered a proper brush/comb to help with the shedding but I noticed the other day that he had some 'sleep' in his eye, wiped it it with my finger and it was like a string of hairs came out of his eye! He didn't seem bothered by it and his eyes don't look sore at all. Do you think I need to do anything, other than cleaning his eyes with a bit of warm paper towel? I'm guessing that once I start giving his a good brush it won't be so much of a problem, again, any advice is really welcome! x

I can't offer much in the way of advice because I only had Milo and I hear that male neutering is much easier in rabbits than female. All I will say is try not to worry too much! I got myself into such a state about it that I was on edge all of the time and that made him quite anxious!
Sending positive vibes for her spay that it all goes great! I'm so pleased that Molly has been done already so I don't have to have this stress again! xxx

Sending lots of vibes for Poppy's spay on Friday. I know how nerve wracking it can be!

You will need to make sure she isn't jumping onto anything, as that could risk ripping her stitches. So you might need to restrict her space for a few days. Make sure they send you home with some pain relief (usually about 5 days' worth) as she will be very sore. Also be prepared for the fact that she may not eat for herself at first so it's worth stocking up on some recovery food in case you need to syringe feed her. Also keep some of her favourite food on hand to tempt her with. To be honest, I found having to syringe feed the worst part of looking after her post op. She hated it and I would have loved to have let her rest quietly but unfortunately with rabbits you have to keep on top of input and output!

Thank you for your replies. I will have a look for some recovery food! There isn't much for her to jump on in her current room, but I'll probably put her in her cage at night. I've got plenty of her favourite treats, going to pick up some nice fresh herbs whilst she is at the vets. I've just emailed the vets to see about pain relief, the one thing I forgot to ask about initially!

How long after her spay do you think I can start bonding again with Ragnar? He is already neutered so I reckon it's just a case of waiting for Poppy to be healed? x

Reply from the vet -

Don't worry about veg or hay, just a small amount of Poppys normal food is fine to encourage her to eat. We do give her some special rabbit recovery food but sometimes rabbits prefer their normal food. We prefer to get small pets eating before they go home as this means they are recovering well. Poppy will get an injection of pain relief on the day and will be sent home with a liquid painkiller to use over three days after the operation. We find this is usually enough to keep them comfortable. We do ask you to bring Poppy in a few days later to check that she is ok in herself and healing corrrectly too but we will arrange this on the day when we discharge Poppy.

Feeling a bit better now. I'm guessing that I can ask for more pain relief when I go back if we think she is still in pain. Still nervous but I trust the vets, they know what they're doing!

Good luck for tomorrow. You will need to leave at least 2 weeks before bonding with Ragnar, maybe longer depending on how feisty she is. :thumb:

Loads of luck for tomorrow. I have always hated having my buns spayed - but all my girls have come through without a hitch. It does take some time for them to start eating properly - it took my 4 lasses at least 24 hours, and they were really just interested in dried herbs and fresh hay at first. They started eating pellets properly on day 2.

Will be thinking of Poppy tomorrow ..xxx

Best of luck for Poppy's spay tomorrow, just have plenty of things she likes to have to eat to tempt her with after :) with mine I had to wave it in their faces so they would angrily snatch it to throw away, then they temporarily forgot they were mad and accidentally started eating it again! Pellets were the last thing they went back to eating and preferred dandelion leaves, kale etc first. I kept mine confined to cages for a good while after as I was nervous of them hurting themselves.

My bunnies have the same thing Ragner had with his eye every now and then. Mostly they just blink and when I see it in the corner just wipe away with cooled boiled water. The very first time I saw it though Cookie was at the vet (for her post op check I think!) and I told him I thought her third eyelid was coming off :oops: :oops: bit embarrassing when he got it out and it was just fur :lol:

Sending loads of vibes for Poppy's spay tomorrow. Your vet sounds as though they are on the ball.

My Bluebell was spayed a week today. brought her home at 4pm and she didn't eat more than a few blades of grass until lunch time the day after when I managed to tempt her with parsley. She wouldn't let me pick he up to check stitches but everything was ok at the post op check. Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow, and try not to worry!

Poppy is booked in for her spay on Friday, I'm so nervous about it. I know it is for the best, I'm just a natural worrier. I've ordered some carefresh for her bedding and litter tray so it's nice and soft, and I've got some soft towels, puppy training pads just in case she doesn't make it to her litter trays, her favourite bath mat to sit on. We have wood laminate floors, so if she needs something cool to lie on she should be ok on the floor. Is there anything else you think I need to do, or anything that I shouldn't attempt? She is pretty much impossible to pick up, is there a good way to check on the stitches, I don't want to forcibly pick her up and risk injuring her. Any advice for an easier recovery would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, I've noticed that Ragnar is moulting so much at the moment, I ordered a proper brush/comb to help with the shedding but I noticed the other day that he had some 'sleep' in his eye, wiped it it with my finger and it was like a string of hairs came out of his eye! He didn't seem bothered by it and his eyes don't look sore at all. Do you think I need to do anything, other than cleaning his eyes with a bit of warm paper towel? I'm guessing that once I start giving his a good brush it won't be so much of a problem, again, any advice is really welcome! x

Oooh just seen this ... I'm just in time to send many vibes for Poppy's spay tomorrow :thumb:

Good luck! xx

Just dropped her off :'( she was so good, she even let me put her on the scales and sat still (2.2kg of bunny!) Phoning at 2pm to see how she is. Will keep you updated :) x

Hi everyone! She's home and she's eating already! The vets were amazing, gave me recovery food and three days worth of pain relief, explained everything really well. She's still a bit wobbly but I'm just so glad she's eating, she is usually so stubborn! I got I was waiting in the vets for my taxi and got a bit of coriander, poked it through the gaps in the carry cage and she ate it straight away. Been keeping her topped up with it, she has eaten a few nuggets of dry food and some hay too :) I know we're not through the woods yet with it all but it's a great start :)

So relieved! I'm keeping her in her cage at the moment, she doesn't seem to be trying to get out like she normally does on the rare occasion that she does get shut in there! And I've taken away the hideaway/shelf bit in there, I don't want her trying to jump up there and hurting herself. I don't want to hover over her, so I'm checking on her every half an hour, checking how much of her food is left, water, and if she is weeing or pooing (no sign of that yet, but I guess now she's eating it should start up again soon enough!). Thanks again for your support, I'm just such a worrier and it's so great knowing I have you all to talk to!

To keep me busy I went to Leeds, met Kevin Sinfield! I got a book signed for my father-in-law, and a book, a rugby shirt and a photo signed for my husband for when he's back from sea :) It kept my mind occupied a bit, but I still phoned the vets bang on 2pm to see how Poppy was doing, then turned up 25 minutes early to pick her up lol.

Again, thank you all :)

Back