• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please - rabbit eye problems!!!

Becky2589

New Kit
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but really need all of your expert advice!

I've notice some white scabbing on my rabbits bottom eye lid. Only on the one eye. She's happy, eating pooing and grooming and my other rabbit has no signs of it.

I have no idea what it is. She has lived inside all of her 4 years, but we have recently moved house and have been able to let her run round the garden, only for 30mins or so and she hops back inside.

Here's a picture. I'm very worried as she is my baby!

http://postimg.org/gallery/yqylvojs/

I am so sorry your post has been missed! I am not a health expert but could it be that her fur is irritating her eye, making it water and this is what you are seeing. The photos are excellent actually and I am sure someone else will be along who may be able to advise you better. It may be in the end you will have to take her to the Vet as eye problems need to be addressed fairly urgently.

I am so sorry your post has been missed! I am not a health expert but could it be that her fur is irritating her eye, making it water and this is what you are seeing. The photos are excellent actually and I am sure someone else will be along who may be able to advise you better. It may be in the end you will have to take her to the Vet as eye problems need to be addressed fairly urgently.

Yes, tonibun is correct in saying that it is usually advisable to get a Vet to check any type of eye problem. It's not really possible to say what it is just from a photo. It certainly does not look like anything too serious, just a bit of dried ocular discharge, The discharge may have occurred after something irritated her eye. Gently bathing the eye with cooled boiled water should remove the crustiness and you could also carefully pull back the eyelid to see if the conjunctiva looks inflamed. If it does that could indicate a bit of infection and that would require treatment with antibiotic eye drops. I really would not be overly concerned, but a Vet check would put your mind at rest.

Thank you ever so much for getting back to me. I will keep an eye on it over the next day or so, it is no worse or better today - but I won't hesitate to get her to the vet it it gets worse.
Her fur doesn't seem wet around her eye and although it looks watery in the picture it really is a scab! Maybe she just groomed her eye to much and I am just worrying over nothing!?
Let's hope so!
Thanks again for replying to my message tonibun.

Hi jacks-jane! Thanks for your reply! I will try and clean it up as you suggested with the cooled boiled water. Inside her eyes look normal so hopefully no infection. At least she is happy and well so fingers crossed its nothing serious.

It's just we had such a bad start with my other rabbit that now, anything slightly unusual sends me into panic mode!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but really need all of your expert advice!

I've notice some white scabbing on my rabbits bottom eye lid. Only on the one eye. She's happy, eating pooing and grooming and my other rabbit has no signs of it.

I have no idea what it is. She has lived inside all of her 4 years, but we have recently moved house and have been able to let her run round the garden, only for 30mins or so and she hops back inside.

Here's a picture. I'm very worried as she is my baby!

http://postimg.org/gallery/yqylvojs/

Welcome to the Forum Becky :wave:

It could well be that there is something going on with your rabbit's eye, if she's not prone to having weepy eyes as a rule. If the inner eyelid looks a bit red, that's an indicator of inflammation and possible infection, so it's probably a good idea to let a vet see it in the next few days if so.

You can bathe it twice daily with sterile saline, or cooled boiled water (add a pinch of salt for antibacterial properties if you like) and a cotton wool pad. See if that helps it at all.

Good luck x

Hi everyone thanks for all your advice. As I have seen no improvement she is booked in to see the vet tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Becky

Back