• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty bun bum.

Tried to post pictures but looks like I'm as thick as the poo that was on Hoppity's tail.

My Milly gets the occasional pooey bottom too.When I wash her (I just use a small bowl of warm water and cotton wool)I stand her back legs in the bowl.I have the bowl on a table and hold her upright but away from me so her back is against my front if that makes sense and support her bum.The poo soon soaks off with very gentle persuasion. Shes not too upset by this although shes another one who doesn't like being held for too long.I dry her as much as possible with a fluffy towel and hold her in another dry one for abit before putting her down.I put their heater on while she finishes drying.
That method suits Milly and me but obviously every bun and set up is different.During the summer I get a vet nurse to clip the fur very short around her bottom about once a month.

Readigrass made Doughnut have a poopy bum sometimes so I would maybe cut everything out and then just add one thing in gradually to the hay to see when it returns.

Susan gets like this usually when I just don't think and give too much veg, a diet tweek should help.

Wee update. She's still nice and clean, no funny poos or none I've seen! She's seriously unhappy with me still and I've been told in no uncertain terms (bruise and bite on forearm!) not to stroke her at the moment. They've just been getting hay and herbs but haven't given up the fenugreek supper as I'm pathetically needy and want her to like me again. :? I'll be starting fresh dandelions and plantain soon, slowly but surely, so that should cheer her up.
Hoppetylop, I agree with your method, I held her against me but also put a towel round her, she's incredible strong and didn't want either of us getting hurt. I'm hoping she'll transfer her dislike to the nurses after trim. :lol:
Fluffy, just ordered it. :thumb:
Thank you to everyone who answered and helped. :love:

Do you lie on the floor with her and just let her come over and get to know you and then give her little pieces of fenugeek. She probably doesn't want you stroking her as she's wary and think you're going to pick her up.

They're outdoor rabbits and as we live in Glasgow there's not too many opportunities to be on the ground! ;) I used to sit in their shed/hutch but neither of them liked that. Hoppity will come to me for strokes but Hector only touches me at night when I take fenugreek out. As I open the door I bend my knees and he puts his front paws up on me to grab the treat, I can then stroke him as he's eating it but that's it. I did try for ages when I first got him as a rescue but he was never comfortable with touching. We're at vets tomorrow so fingers crossed for us all, especially the catching bit!!

Forgot to say cpayne that I'll ask about rearguard at vets.

They're outdoor rabbits and as we live in Glasgow there's not too many opportunities to be on the ground! ;) I used to sit in their shed/hutch but neither of them liked that. Hoppity will come to me for strokes but Hector only touches me at night when I take fenugreek out. As I open the door I bend my knees and he puts his front paws up on me to grab the treat, I can then stroke him as he's eating it but that's it. I did try for ages when I first got him as a rescue but he was never comfortable with touching. We're at vets tomorrow so fingers crossed for us all, especially the catching bit!!

Forgot to say cpayne that I'll ask about rearguard at vets.
The vets gave me some rearguard for my little ones yesterday and it was £33 per bottle!

The vets gave me some rearguard for my little ones yesterday and it was £33 per bottle!

I realised quite quickly after finding my wee dog all those years ago that virtually nothing is cheap with pets! And if it ever is they'll need 2 of them to make it up. :(
;)

I realised quite quickly after finding my wee dog all those years ago that virtually nothing is cheap with pets! And if it ever is they'll need 2 of them to make it up. :(
;)

So very true, I spend more on my two buns and one cat, than I do on myself ! :roll:

Good luck at vets :thumb:

Wee update; Hoppity is back in on Wednesday to get her teeth trimmed. Looks like she eats to the left so couple on the right are a bit long. It's not stopping her eating or going into gums but vet thought it better to get fine now before any big eating problems. I'd washed her on the Sunday but she again had a few sticky poos on her so vet fairly sure it's a teeth problem but gave her a wee trim anyway. Hector is fine but stopping the pellets should help as they'd gained a bit of weight since last visit. Hoppity hasn't looked at me since we got home. When I go out she either turns her back or closes her eyes. My husband was out with them this morning and I was watching H&H from the window and they were running about, bit of chasing and jumping and fleeing through the tunnels. I walked out, up stairs and by the time I'd unlatched the gate she was in her tent on top floor of their house. My husband admitted he'd thought I exaggerated her moods but along with seeing I was telling the truth he also had a good laugh at her behaviour. God only knows what treatment she'll give me after her teeth filing visit!! :evil:

Wee update; Hoppity is back in on Wednesday to get her teeth trimmed. Looks like she eats to the left so couple on the right are a bit long. It's not stopping her eating or going into gums but vet thought it better to get fine now before any big eating problems. I'd washed her on the Sunday but she again had a few sticky poos on her so vet fairly sure it's a teeth problem but gave her a wee trim anyway. Hector is fine but stopping the pellets should help as they'd gained a bit of weight since last visit. Hoppity hasn't looked at me since we got home. When I go out she either turns her back or closes her eyes. My husband was out with them this morning and I was watching H&H from the window and they were running about, bit of chasing and jumping and fleeing through the tunnels. I walked out, up stairs and by the time I'd unlatched the gate she was in her tent on top floor of their house. My husband admitted he'd thought I exaggerated her moods but along with seeing I was telling the truth he also had a good laugh at her behaviour. God only knows what treatment she'll give me after her teeth filing visit!! :evil:
Oh bless, it's awful when they give you the cold shoulder like that, especially when you're only trying to help! All I can say is good luck with the teeth filing! [emoji38]

Thanks PM and W&B, she was a bit better with me last night. So just getting back to normal before our return visit!! :roll:

Back