• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving tablets to a rabbit?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Sorry lots of questions this week!

Flo's treatment plan for her pneumonia is nebulisation, loxicom and marbocyl.
However, marbocyl only comes in tablets :shock: So I'm going to have to give her half of a big tablet twice a day. Does any have experience in giving tablets to rabbits? I can do dogs, cats, even parrots but never given one to a rabbit - particularly one that really hates her mouth being touched :oops:

However, marbocyl only comes in tablets :shock: So I'm going to have to give her half of a big tablet twice a day. Does any have experience in giving tablets to rabbits? I can do dogs, cats, even parrots but never given one to a rabbit - particularly one that really hates her mouth being touched :oops:

Crush the tablet up into a powder (a pestle and mortar works well if you have one)

Mush up some banana so its really smooth, or even use some pure apple baby food, mix a little of that with the powdered tablet and suck it into a feeding syringe, then give it as you would critical care behind the front teeth, wrap the bun in a towel if need be, this is the method a few people I know use and apparently it works well.

I've given CC and medicine to rabbits and I find having them on a towel and wrapped up helps, wrapping one arm around the bottom so they cant back up and putting the syringe into their mouth!

Good luck! x

Marbocyl is often liver flavoured as it's primarily a dog/cat medicine. Yuck :shock:

I would crush it between two teaspoons, add a bit of Ella's Kitchen baby food pouch (favourite flavour, apple/pear/carrot/banana etc) and syringe it all in.

Good luck xx

I would also add it to ellas kitchen baby food and just let her lap it up. My rabbits all adore the stuff even with meds mixed in!

I just started a thread about two weeks ago about giving Doughnut marbocare it's the same thing. Doughnut suddenly didn't like bananas so couldn't mash it with that so I mixed it in with critical care as she loves that and it's strong smelling. Doughnut also loves metacam/loxicom so I sometimes syringed that over the critical care mix tablets, so she lapped it up. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've never given any for of medication in tablet form to my buns so can't help there sorry.

If it becomes a problem though, I have definitely given mine Marbocyl in liquid form through a syringe in a few instances, so maybe ask your vet about that?

Thanks everyone, I'll have to buy a banana and see if she likes it! Just trying to make it all less stressful!

I've given tablets to buns before. I used to crush the pill to a powder then slice a sultana in half and dab the sticky sides in the powder, close the sultana back up again and feed it to the bunny. Repeat until all the powder is gone. Or, if you have a really piggy bunny, make a slit in the sultana, shove the whole, half or quarter tablet inside and feed to bunny!

I've given tablets to buns before. I used to crush the pill to a powder then slice a sultana in half and dab the sticky sides in the powder, close the sultana back up again and feed it to the bunny. Repeat until all the powder is gone. Or, if you have a really piggy bunny, make a slit in the sultana, shove the whole, half or quarter tablet inside and feed to bunny!

Yes of course! I am doing that every night for one of mine, and I forgot to say :lol:

A sultana is absolutely great for hiding a tablet. I keep a stanley knife nearby to chop the tablet and slit the sultana ;)

What I've ended up doing currently is crushing up the tablet in some critical care! However she hates having a syringe shoved in the mouth (she even hates loxicom) so I will definitely try sultanas! I always do it before her dinner so she is usually piggie afterwards! She refuses to take any food directly from me though :lol:

Yes of course! I am doing that every night for one of mine, and I forgot to say :lol:

A sultana is absolutely great for hiding a tablet. I keep a stanley knife nearby to chop the tablet and slit the sultana ;)

Soooo as it turns out she's not actually that keen on sultanas! Typical!
Though I saw the cutest video the other day of a rabbit eating a banana so I tried to give her some as a treat this morning and she loves it! So I shall mush up a tablet in banana 👍🏻

How you getting on, Doughnut suddenly decided she didn't like banana so hence the critical care. They are pickles aren't they

Back