• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please

Update: Well our Acorn continues to survive and is doing great now, she is about 90% better now she is getting used to people and being handled and is happy, lively, eating like a horse and gaining weight. Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice now on wild rabbits needs. Is there anythings that differ for say diet housing etc thanks

What a lovely story. At a guess I'd say wild rabbit needs are much the same as domestic bunnies needs though I may be corrected. I know many on here (Baby Rachel for example) are very nervy around people but I suspect it will be based on the individual rabbit (Loki the wildie seems very receptive to people)

I definitely advocate a diet close to a wild rabbit diet for any bunny - loads of forage & hay. I understand they need a lot of space & would ultimately be happiest bonded with another bunny (both being neutered / spayed and vaccinated)

Can we see a photo?

Well done :) You've obviously provided fantastic care for Acorn. I don't think diet-wise there would be any difference for wildies and would also recommend as natural as possible food for any rabbit. Regarding accommodation, I would say as large as possible. If you wanted to contact people on here with wildies, Jonm has Floki, Tracy has Rachel and I think Parsnipbun has some. You could possibly send them each a PM in case they don't see your thread.

Good luck with her.

Thanks for the advice, not quite sure how you post pics at the moment but I will definitely pop a picture on if I can In maybe a week or so. Acorn is looking a bit scary at the moment she lost quite a bit of fur but it seems to be growing back nicely now so when she looks a bit prettier, I can't wait to show her off so any help on posting pics would be great too thanks again xx

Thanks for the advice, not quite sure how you post pics at the moment but I will definitely pop a picture on if I can In maybe a week or so. Acorn is looking a bit scary at the moment she lost quite a bit of fur but it seems to be growing back nicely now so when she looks a bit prettier, I can't wait to show her off so any help on posting pics would be great too thanks again xx

For photos you need to upload them to somewhere like photobucket. She must be gorgeous, fur missing or not. I do like the look of wildies :)

This might help you to post photos:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Acorn sounds lovely and well loved. Our admin Tamsin has a wild, Scamp :D So does Parsnipbun. Do PM them if you need any more info :D

Do you know how old she was when you got her e.g. is she adult sized or baby?

I think everyone here with one started off with very young babies that were handreared, which obviously had a big influence on how tame they were. It's difficult to predict how an adult will behave once healthy. How does she react towards you?

Wildies tend to need more space - they are more agile and active than pets. Hiding spaces are very important as they will bolt if startled and can injure themselves running into things if they can't find somewhere to hide - so boxes and tunnels to replicate a warren and easy access when out exercising.

They are excellent diggers, jumpers, and can wiggle through small gaps so accommodation needs to be very secure.

Diet wise, it's roughly the same as a pet - lots of hay/grass a little bit of other fresh foods and pellets if you want. They are very efficient at processing foods so they only need a pinch of pellets if you do feed those.

The Rabbit Welfare Association should be able to give you a list of local vets - no vet should turn and animal away because they have a contagious illness - vets are there to trick sick animals! I would check her thoroughly for signs of fleas (rabbit ones are little black dots on the ears), if you google flea dirt you'll see some examples of that too. If you do see any signs that would need treating.

I would say she's a young adult and I have treated her for fleas, tics, mites, and worms. I have tried to give her places to hide but she won't go in them, I will try tunnels though. She is much tamer now and she is very calm around people she doesn't startle easily and she enjoys a stroke although she isn't to keen on being picked up she handles it well and will sit for a little cuddle on your lap. I plan on keeping her as a house rabbit and giving her a double bedroom to live in, no more guests to stay lol. I do give her regular exercise outside and she is in a dog crate with access to a pen at all times :D

Do be careful with outside, like I said they are super agile and good at escaping!

An indoor room sounds perfect. Even if she doesn't use the hiding places much, she'll have the location stored in her head in case she needs to bolt. If they panic and don't have one they will literally throw themselves around the room, hitting walls etc. so they are sort of a backup plan :lol: They also like hidey places to have two exits - Scamp likes cardboard boxes and will make his own backdoor if their isn't one.

We have a enclosed courtyard and someone is always with her when she is outside.I will get her a new hiding place with an in and out great tip thanks the one I got only had a front door lol. Thanks again all :D

Lovely, lovely thread to start my day. Good wishes to you and Acorn and your husband who brought her home, not many people would. :love:

Thanks again Tamsin for the cardboard box idea, made her a little house with a front door & a back door & she has literally gone crazy. Before I had even put it on the ground her head was in it sniffing,then she was in and out of it circling it sniffing it like crazy, on her hind legs sniffing the top, lifting it up and nudging it around lifting up with her mouth. One extremely happy bunny, might go mad myself and make her a massive fortress

Just read through and looked at the pics. What a wee soul she is, but she clearly has a good will to live and is loving life at yours. Well done for looking after this wee one x

Thanks again Tamsin for the cardboard box idea, made her a little house with a front door & a back door & she has literally gone crazy. Before I had even put it on the ground her head was in it sniffing,then she was in and out of it circling it sniffing it like crazy, on her hind legs sniffing the top, lifting it up and nudging it around lifting up with her mouth. One extremely happy bunny, might go mad myself and make her a massive fortress

I say go for it! I brought Storm a cardboard castle and I can honestly say it's the best thing I have ever brought for him, he spends virtually all his time in there when he's in his room! [emoji38]

Back