• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First thread, cecotropes and blobs of poo

luvmybun

New Kit
I have 3 rabbits, 1 dwarf and 2 of her babies. I started out with 2 different types of bunnies, 1 HUGE orange bunny, Peaches (RIP), loved and miss him terribly still! The mom is a dwarf rabbit, nearly 9 or 10 years old. I feed them just oxbow pellets and hay. I buy the 50lb box of orchard hay, 9lb box of Alfalfa Hay, Oat Hay and just tried Botanical Hay, which they don't like. Recently, like 4 months ago, started using the Oxbow blended bedding because the babies, which are 3 years old now and momma, kept having excessive hair loss. Get tired of brushing them, I keep 3 air purifiers to suck up the hair and dust. I have been finding poo blobs and excessive cecotropes. I feed them parsley, carrots and apples for treats. I use the Oxbox treats at times, and the vitacraft slim carrot treats. I've been using these since I have had the momma and dad. Can someone tell me what could be possibly causing this? I try to give them the best food out there, including the hays. They have variety! I even buy the oxbow tunnels etc. for them to chew on. Take them to LSU vet to have them checked and their teeth done when they get too long. They are also spaded and neutered. Loss one of the babies because they told me to take away their food and water the night before, they were stressed and was told wrong information prior to their surgeries. I LOVE MY BUNNIES, just want to see what I could be doing wrong, or if I am feeding them the correct food and hay, could this just be normal? The excess poop, is nasty, but it doesn't stick to them or anything. I keep boxes filled with hay and all kinds of edible oxbow toys made with hay for them to play with and run around in. They stay in each their own cage, at night and during the day when I can't let them out to play. The babies are WONDERFUL together, but they can't live in the same cage anymore since the spay and neuter. They also, try to attack the mom by jumping on the top of the pool table, which is protected, but they now have started jumping on it, and chase her. LOL. I since put her in my bathroom with a gate where they just go up to it and poke their noses to touch each other, LOL. But just wondering if something could be wrong with them. The poop does have the strong odor and is very sticky, but they don't let it stick to their paws of booty. They are very careful, LOL. LSU told me that Oxbow was the best possible brand of hay and food to use. Don't ever feed them pellets with all kinds of treats etc.. mixed in with the food. Very bad for them. Thank you for any advice you can give me. Momma bunny is old and very active! I do believe she will live a few more years even! Daddy had glaucoma and was just very sick. He had to be put down because of COPD and the glaucoma. He was blind, but I could put them all outside in octagon cages, but let him run around and visit each bunny. He truly was the best bunny, miss him terribly!!!!!

When you feed the apples, how often do you feed them and do they have the apple seeds?

As for the hay, I have heard a few people have had issues with oxbow hay, so maybe try a different brand and see if the problem remains?

Was it only recently that they all got spayed and neutered. It could be the amount of pellets that they are getting, sometimes it is a little too much that causes excess cecotropes. I had this problem with mine, but once i lowered to the correct amount they stopped leaving them around.

How many pellets does each rabbit get? Apples and carrots are too high in sugar so only tiny pieces now and then.

I've only had one rabbit who ate up all his cecotropes like they're supposed to do and that's the little guy I have currently.

The other three left them scattered around, no matter what diet they were on.

Back