• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flying with rabbits in the cabin - updated with current info

I can't believe how difficult this is - and why rabbits are so excluded. They don't smell or make any noise. You wouldn't know what was in the carrier. Cats are allowed but are likely to be noisy and their poo is smelly (and they always pick their moment).

Have you tried any vets - I was thinking Crab Lane in particular. They may know more about bunny travel or have some pointers.
Otherwise, I suppose there are professional animal carriers. There may be some willing to talk to you or have some recommendations on their web sites.

The only person I know that transported pet rabbits was an army family and it was between Germany and the UK (both ways). I suspect they drove / used the ferry rather than plane, as all the hutches were flat-packed to go as well.

I can't believe how difficult this is - and why rabbits are so excluded. They don't smell or make any noise. You wouldn't know what was in the carrier. Cats are allowed but are likely to be noisy and their poo is smelly (and they always pick their moment).

Have you tried any vets - I was thinking Crab Lane in particular. They may know more about bunny travel or have some pointers.
Otherwise, I suppose there are professional animal carriers. There may be some willing to talk to you or have some recommendations on their web sites.

The only person I know that transported pet rabbits was an army family and it was between Germany and the UK (both ways). I suspect they drove / used the ferry rather than plane, as all the hutches were flat-packed to go as well.

I don't know, I could take a dog that might bark the whole time but not a quiet little rabbit who is unlikely to smell or anything :?

I've not spoken to any vets other than my own, although I have spoken with DEFRA and the RWAF

I've already spoken with a few pet couriers for my rabbit, my cat is going to be transported by one, I'm just not comfortable with it for my bunny

I just wanted to provide an update in case anyone is searching for information on this in the future. Might save someone wasting a ridiculous amount of time on the phone :lol:

So I've had it confirmed that it's not possible to fly out of the UK with a rabbit in the cabin, with any airline

Also, the only airline that currently operates a route from Europe to North America and allows a rabbit to travel in the cabin is Finnair, and the only route they do offer is from Helsinki in Finland

Can you not get the bunnies registered as 'Emotional Support Bunnies' or similar?! You read about people doing that with pets all the time these days, and they travel in the cabin with you.
Or, look at those websites offering you to fly in private chartered jet? You fly with others, basically hitching a ride, and it can cost the same as a regular airline.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, I want to just cry every time I think about it :lol:

Last edited:
Can you not get the bunnies registered as 'Emotional Support Bunnies' or similar?! You read about people doing that with pets all the time these days, and they travel in the cabin with you.
Or, look at those websites offering you to fly in private chartered jet? You fly with others, basically hitching a ride, and it can cost the same as a regular airline.

Thanks for the advice, but we really have already looked into all possible options :D

I escalated my request to senior management level at every airline where those people were willing to speak to me, and I asked all airlines if I could make a request for special circumstances or pay more money etc, they all said there was no option to request anything like that

I was advised by most of the private jet operators I contacted that its only cost efficient if you are going to a popular holiday destination at a certain time of year and are making a return journey. The cheapest quote I received to get me and my rabbit to where I need to go was £14,000

Thanks for the advice, but we really have already looked into all possible options :D

I escalated my request to senior management level at every airline where those people were willing to speak to me, and I asked all airlines if I could make a request for special circumstances or pay more money etc, they all said there was no option to request anything like that

I was advised by most of the private jet operators I contacted that its only cost efficient if you are going to a popular holiday destination at a certain time of year and are making a return journey. The cheapest quote I received to get me and my rabbit to where I need to go was £14,000

Oh gosh. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. It sounds like such a nightmare :(

You can, but the journeys like days long. If you needed a vet half way you would be screwed

We will sort it out, we are finally leaving here that's the main thing :lol: I just wanted to update in case the airline information is useful to others in the future :D

Last edited:
Back