• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt not improving :(

carysannie29

Young Bun
My 6 year old rescue bun developed a really severe head tilt 10 days ago. She has been on antibiotics x2 and panacur but is showing no signs at all of improvement. She has been eating less and less and even syringe feeding her she is not taking it as well as she was a couple of days ago. She's losing weight so rapidly and just not getting better at all. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow but I'm so scared about what they're going to say. Just want some advice/words of encouragement really from you guys :(

10 days really isn't a lot of time when it comes to bunnies recovering from things like this. (has EC been tested for as being the cause?) I have read many stories where it has taken at least a month for owners to notice any real improvement in a head tilt, with it taking several months for a bunny to fully recover, and some having a permanent head tilt, however in most cases the affected rabbit learns to live with it. So I would say that it is still way too early to expect any real improvement to the head tilt. That being said, if her overall health is deteriorating then you are definitely doing the right thing in taking her to the vets tomorrow, and hopefully they should be able to offer some suggestions.

Is she on Metacam for pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties? This may help her feel more comfortable, and also help with the clinical symptoms (head tilt) as they are caused by inflammation. Also, have you tried feeding her herbs and fresh grass as this is often the go-to for bunnies that are feeling poorly? As awful as it is and as bad as you feel when syringe feeding them, it is important that you persevere with it and keep on top of it, especially if she isn't eating anything on her own. The vet will probably give an injection of a gut stimulant and may give a oral gut stimulant to you to give her at home to keep her gut moving properly.

I know it's scary when they are poorly and especially when they don't seem to be improving, but as long as you monitor her closely, keep on top of medication and get her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, then hopefully she will be be OK :) Good luck tomorrow and do let us know how you get on x

Last edited:
10 days really isn't a lot of time when it comes to bunnies recovering from things like this. (has EC been tested for as being the cause?) I have read many stories where it has taken at least a month for owners to notice any real improvement in a head tilt, with it taking several months for a bunny to fully recover, and some having a permanent head tilt, however in most cases the affected rabbit learns to live with it. So I would say that it is still way too early to expect any real improvement to the head tilt. That being said, if her overall health is deteriorating then you are definitely doing the right thing in taking her to the vets tomorrow, and hopefully they should be able to offer some suggestions.

Is she on Metacam for pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties? This may help her feel more comfortable, and also help with the clinical symptoms (head tilt) as they are caused by inflammation. Also, have you tried feeding her herbs and fresh grass as this is often the go-to for bunnies that are feeling poorly? As awful as it is and as bad as you feel when syringe feeding them, it is important that you persevere with it and keep on top of it, especially if she isn't eating anything on her own. The vet will probably give an injection of a gut stimulant and may give a oral gut stimulant to you to give her at home to keep her gut moving properly.

I know it's scary when they are poorly and especially when they don't seem to be improving, but as long as you monitor her closely, keep on top of medication and get her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, then hopefully she will be be OK :) Good luck tomorrow and do let us know how you get on x

W+B has offered good advice, especially about the need to give an anti-inflammatory such as Metacam. Head tilt can take many many months of treatment and involve constant intensive nursing care. Including medicating, syringe feeding, help with keeping clean etc. But of course there are cases where-by a specific Rabbit may just not be able to cope with the stress of it all. Each case needs to be addressed individually according to the needs of the Rabbit. Not only their physical needs but their psychological needs too. What one Rabbit may be able to cope with another may not.

Hopefully the Vet will address the issue of an anti-inflammatory, it is inflammation that causes the clinical symptoms-ie the head tilt.

I do hope that your Rabbit is able to recover, even if it may be with a permanent head tilt. Rabbits can adapt to this and live a very happy life xx

I agree with the others about the Metacam for inflammation and pain relief, it was like miracle stuff for Milo when he had his head tilt. He was made so much more comfortable by it!

How is bunny today?

Just wanted to agree with all the advice you have been given.

My EC bunny took months to recover and some weeks she got worse again, but she went from totally dependent on nursing (unable to stand and head rotated right back to her shoulder) to back out in the run with her partner and only a slight head tilt.

I also agree with the advice. I have had a head tilt bunny in the past and he was the same as the info given, took a couple of months to be back healthy but was left with a permanent head tilt, was just my wee wonky boy x

I also agree with the advice. I have had a head tilt bunny in the past and he was the same as the info given, took a couple of months to be back healthy but was left with a permanent head tilt, was just my wee wonky boy x

The legendary Kermit :love:

My 6 year old rescue bun developed a really severe head tilt 10 days ago. She has been on antibiotics x2 and panacur but is showing no signs at all of improvement. She has been eating less and less and even syringe feeding her she is not taking it as well as she was a couple of days ago. She's losing weight so rapidly and just not getting better at all. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow but I'm so scared about what they're going to say. Just want some advice/words of encouragement really from you guys :(

Hi there :wave:

I'm sorry things are not improving for your rabbit. I think you posted yesterday so you may have already seen the vet.

Is she on Metacam at the moment? In your previous posts you mentioned that the vet thought it was an inner ear infection and Metacam is essential for the pain of that, as well as helping with the inflammation from either an ear infection or E.C.

You wil have to syringe feed her if she is losing too much weight.

I am sure the vet will be able to assess her and give you the very best advice. Having a head tilt bunny, whatever the cause, can be very stressful for the owner. I know, I have nursed several! At the end of the day you have to see what her quality of life is like and what the prognosis is for her improvement.

An X-ray would be needed to rule out ear infection, or help treat it, and whilst she is losing weight, a GA is not a good idea.

Best vibes for today and your bun xx

Awh thanks everyone! Your support and encouragement means a lot! The vets went well; we've been given some metoclopramide and ranitidine to help with her tummy for now. They're happy with the antibiotics and panacur. We've made an active decision not to put her on metacam - it's a long story! I've been feeding her emeraid today which she's taking really well. She's still eating the occasional dried herb and pieces of celery and parsley. I will just keep going with her and see how we go. I am definitely nowhere near 'making a decision' with her yet. Going to look into acupuncture too as I've heard this can really help - if anyone has any experience with this then it would be great to have some more info. Thank you! <3

Aww, that made me smile :)

Such a lovely photo x

I'm sorry I can't offer much advice. All the head tilt bunnies I met at the vets, the owners decided to say goodbye to :(

Neya, my rabbit when I was 17 had a head tilt for around 2 months & he completely recovered. Metacam was one of the things he was put onto around 1 month into treatment & this made all the difference to him. (I took him on around 3 weeks into treatment as his owner couldn't offer him the care he needed)

Sending you vibes for a speedy, and as stress free recovery as possible.

Last edited:
Acupunctures great. Our vets do it. Nit sure why you didnt have metacam. The anti inflammatory action is really important with ec induced head tilt or will help with pain if its ear infection related.

Awh thanks everyone! Your support and encouragement means a lot! The vets went well; we've been given some metoclopramide and ranitidine to help with her tummy for now. They're happy with the antibiotics and panacur. We've made an active decision not to put her on metacam - it's a long story! I've been feeding her emeraid today which she's taking really well. She's still eating the occasional dried herb and pieces of celery and parsley. I will just keep going with her and see how we go. I am definitely nowhere near 'making a decision' with her yet. Going to look into acupuncture too as I've heard this can really help - if anyone has any experience with this then it would be great to have some more info. Thank you! <3

I'm glad you have a vet you can trust, and who discusses and explains decisions to you. Very important.

Acupuncture can be really good for some bunnies. In my experience they tend to favour physiotherapy - and you can learn how to help them at home too. Either can be good for a bunny who's muscles have gone into spasm.

It will probably be a parasite. Give the rabbit kale, dandelions and put two drops of 6 percept food grade hydrogen peroxide in her water bowel. Also let her seek out soil or grit to eat. Zeolite may solve the problem if she will eat it. Cats eat their cat litter because some cat litters contain zeolite. My rabbit recovered after eating pure zeolite. And I used a light therapy instrument on her which is approved for veterinary use. You might want tempt her with Bentonite clay because zeolite is very expensive

Last edited:
Back