• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One eyed Rabbit

Nyx

Young Bun
Bigwig has a nasty growth pushing his eye out of its socket. His eye needs to be removed. He'll be going into surgery tomorrow and even though he only has a 50/50 chance of making it I want to know if there's anything I can do if he makes it to make his life easier. Also does anyone else have a one eyed rabbit can I see pics so I know what to expect?

Bigwig has a nasty growth pushing his eye out of its socket. His eye needs to be removed. He'll be going into surgery tomorrow and even though he only has a 50/50 chance of making it I want to know if there's anything I can do if he makes it to make his life easier. Also does anyone else have a one eyed rabbit can I see pics so I know what to expect?

Nyx, I am sending vibes for Bigwig's operation tomorrow. I hope he will do really well and come through with flying colours.

I have had several one-eyed rabbits - no photos to show you, but they manage beautifully!

Good luck xx

Sending loads of vibes for Bigwig. I really hope the surgery tomorrow is successful.

I have had a Rabbit who had to have an eye removed. There is every chance that your Rabbit will come through the op' just fine. Most Rabbits adapt well to having just one eye. Also, if the eye that was removed was causing pain then they will feel so much better within themselves too. Initially after surgery the eye socket may look a bit grim, but once the swelling and bruising subsides it usually heals perfectly well

Mr Bean a couple of days after his op'

and one of him healing up well

Many well wishes for Bigwig, I hope it goes well

Noodle coped really well with her eye removal. An abscess did grow in the socket though so when that was removed it was left open rather than stitched up (not as horrific as it sounds)

DSCF2178_zpscovdm912.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF3891_zpsqyxogm5l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sending you lots of vibes.
I've seen it done a few times and many of them coped perfectly well. Many seemed happier!

Aboleth, some months post-op: she had her eye done and was then spayed I think, both at the rescue. Her original post from the rescue (when she was called Bluebell) is here with before and after pictures:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?443812-Bluebell-1-eyed-female-Nottingham

And here she is last July when we got her (she looks so skinny to me because she's not fluffy like she is now!):

11143137_10101635725357068_2412468493501842861_n.jpg

She's quite difficult to get photos of her blind side because she likes to see what's going on :lol: She's very nosy! Her black eyelashes still grow so her eye socket has a lot of shadow :)

I really hope Bigwig's op goes without any trouble! Best wishes for a quick recovery too.

Back