• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PM Results and further loss

Please excuse my spelling, I would normally remember more of what was said but my brain just isn't able to concentrate at the moment. Something about necrosis indicating gram negative bacteria such as that similar to Salmonella but further samples would be needed to determin the exact bacteria. (There were white spots on the lungs and gut)

Pasteurellosis is something both myself and the vet both considered - especially as I have had respitory bunnies previously but their culture and sensitivity tests were always inconclusive and we managed them with antibiotics and nebulisation. It also fits some of the things found at PM such as legions in the lungs. But as the spleen and gut was also affected my vets are unconvinced I am dealing with a respitory issue alone although I presume if Septicaemia is the cause of sudden death then this would mean the bacteria could access anywhere in the body?

I have read and re-read the textbook of rabbit medicine so many times my head it about to explode. :cry:

Last edited:
RE the river it is within 5 mins walking distance but not in the immediate vaccinity. However last year we were living much closer to the river.

Please excuse my spelling, I would normally remember more of what was said but my brain just isn't able to concentrate at the moment. Something about necrosis indicating gram negative bacteria such as that similar to Salmonella but further samples would be needed to determin the exact bacteria.

Pasteurellosis is something both myself and the vet both considered - especially as I have had respitory bunnies previously but their culture and sensitivity tests were always inconclusive and we managed them with antibiotics and nebulisation. It also fits some of the things found at PM such as legions in the lungs. But as the spleen and gut was also affected my vets are unconvinced I am dealing with a respitory issue alone although I presume if Septicaemia is the cause of sudden death then this would mean the bacteria could access anywhere in the body?

I have read and re-read the textbook of rabbit medicine so many times my head it about to explode. :cry:

Yes, because the bacteria is in the bloodstream so goes everywhere :cry: I know how it makes things even more awful when we just dont know 'why' :cry:

I really do hope that all of your other Rabbits remain well now. Maybe, just maybe, the recent losses were all a horrible coincidence and not clinically connected.

RE the river it is within 5 mins walking distance but not in the immediate vaccinity. However last year we were living much closer to the river.

I was wondering more if any waterfowl may visit your garden ? I do think that the strep' theory is very unlikely though.

Thanks to a lovely friend arranging it, I was able to discuss the situation at length with Jason Burgess. He ruled a lot of things out straight away such as pastrella as he said it was highly unlikely that I would have so many suffer sudden death and septicaemia without having multiple rabbits displaying clinical symptoms such as Rhinitus. He could also rule things out based on the age range of the effected rabbits. He agrees that salmonella seems the likely culprit but has suggested we wait to see the results of further tests as they should be back soon. I really hope the results give us some inside on the best course of treatment.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this but maybe we will never kn ow. I hope your remaining rabbits stay well xx

Nothing grew in the culture so we still don't know any cause. However thanks to a wonderful friend I was contacted by Jason Burgess who was extreamly helpful in ruling several things out. He thinks the original indication towards salmonella is highly likely so all my remaining bunnies are now on a course of broad spectrum antibiotics.

Nothing grew in the culture so we still don't know any cause. However thanks to a wonderful friend I was contacted by Jason Burgess who was extreamly helpful in ruling several things out. He thinks the original indication towards salmonella is highly likely so all my remaining bunnies are now on a course of broad spectrum antibiotics.

Amy, this is very hopeful and I would trust Jason 100%

I really hope this is a solution and you suffer no more losses.

Sending hugs and vibes for you and your rabbits xxx

Amy, this is very hopeful and I would trust Jason 100%

He spent all weekend trying to call me but had the wrong number. He really cared and wanted to help. I am so lucky that I have such a wonderful friend who asked him on my behalf.

Back