• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eye ulcer in rabbit.help pls

thankyou for your thoughts,fleurs operation was successful and now is home resting,back tommorrow for a check up
they say he was eating and bouncing about in there afterwards lol brave little rabbit he is!! he was also the smallest rabbit they had operated on and fell in love with him :) xx

I'm so pleased :D

Well done brave little Fleur! xx

excellent news. I guess they removed the affected eye?

yes the eye was removed,the ulcer erupted last night so they got him in for surgery today.they was wonderful with me and fleur.half his face is shaved so kids seem a little distant from him but im sure hes going to be back to his normal self now hes not suffering anymore with that awful ulcer

yes the eye was removed,the ulcer erupted last night so they got him in for surgery today.they was wonderful with me and fleur.half his face is shaved so kids seem a little distant from him but im sure hes going to be back to his normal self now hes not suffering anymore with that awful ulcer

aw bless :) they do look peculiar with half shaven faces ...my Noodle bunny used to remind me of a little pony :) glad he is comfy now

aw bless :) they do look peculiar with half shaven faces ...my Noodle bunny used to remind me of a little pony :) glad he is comfy now

he looks a little cutie and they have made a neat job aswell.to the kids tho they look at him and think hes worse,dont realise hes in less pain,its a good thing anyway so he can get some rest in peace :)

he looks a little cutie and they have made a neat job aswell.to the kids tho they look at him and think hes worse,dont realise hes in less pain,its a good thing anyway so he can get some rest in peace :)

Aww bless him. It does look a bit disconcerting when they have half their face shaved. The good news is that I've found it does grow back quite quickly. Hopefully he's feeling a lot better now that his eye has been sorted out.

Is that him in your Avatar? I always find that dark furred buns that have an eye out, it shows up less! I have known children to not even notice I have a one eyed rabbit sometimes! He will be wonderful when he's healed. He's wonderful now :love:

Is that him in your Avatar? I always find that dark furred buns that have an eye out, it shows up less! I have known children to not even notice I have a one eyed rabbit sometimes! He will be wonderful when he's healed. He's wonderful now :love:

yes thats him :) hes a grey colour.my kids are only young so its a big shock for them,there taking it rather well tho but giving him his own space.thankyou for the kind words :)

yes thats him :) hes a grey colour.my kids are only young so its a big shock for them,there taking it rather well tho but giving him his own space.thankyou for the kind words :)

I am glad your bunny is doing well following his operation. I am sending you some positive vibes that he continues to improve over the next few days and weeks. I have owned netherland dwarf bunnies for many years and currently have to little boys.
In the past I had two boys with girls names because they were named when they were young-one kept his name his entire 13 years and the other got a nickname even though he kept Fancy as his regular name.

So glad it was successful :D Aboleth being pale means her eyelashes show up where they've grown back around the 'hole' (her eyelids have been sewn together, I assume!) and I do check the area for anything abnormal, but it's fine. She is odd to stroke though, with her sharp-feeling eye socket! Took some getting used to! But oh so much better than her horrible abscess. I hope Fleur's fur grows back soon so he doesn't look so daft :D

I am glad your bunny is doing well following his operation. I am sending you some positive vibes that he continues to improve over the next few days and weeks. I have owned netherland dwarf bunnies for many years and currently have to little boys.
In the past I had two boys with girls names because they were named when they were young-one kept his name his entire 13 years and the other got a nickname even though he kept Fancy as his regular name.

everytime ive been to vets they say to me 'take a seat with her' haha i never knew how clever rabbits were until we got one.i had one as a child and dont remember her being as clever as my little fleur tho.
if im not home he wil go away into his house until i return and comes out andsits at side of me.hes so close with me :love:

So glad it was successful :D Aboleth being pale means her eyelashes show up where they've grown back around the 'hole' (her eyelids have been sewn together, I assume!) and I do check the area for anything abnormal, but it's fine. She is odd to stroke though, with her sharp-feeling eye socket! Took some getting used to! But oh so much better than her horrible abscess. I hope Fleur's fur grows back soon so he doesn't look so daft :D

thankyou,he dont look odd to me hes a little cutie but im glad that my kids are a little distant from him atm as i found worms in his poop this morning.no idea how he could have gotten these worms as he is a inside rabbit and obviously with him being inside his house is kept very very clean.he dont eat vedgies atm either as he wasnt old enough to havean then he took poorly so we didnt introduce the vegies just yet.unless hes picked it up from the vets is the only thing i can think of :/ .wee back at 5.30pm today sowill get some treatment for those on his checkup

Bunnies can have vastly different personalities. I won't lie, while I enjoy watching them hop and twirl, I find it relaxing to hold and pet the ones who will sit on my lap.May your bunny give you as much joy as mine have given me.

Your bunny may have gotten the pinworms from its mother. I had a bunny who passed a couple dead pinworms when he got medication for an unrelated issue. The vet gave him new medicine for the pinworms. My bunny never had many, but it still gave me the creeps when I cleaned the litter area.

If there is no success with what your using and it becomes critical you could try pure organic sulphur (MSM) one teaspoon full in 4 oz. of water (mix well, use) and use an eye dropper. I have to say I've only tried this on dogs so I don't know if it will be successful. But you have to get it from the internet not at health food stores the stuff there is just rubbish. Its expensive, but worth a try. I'm going to try this on my rescued injured rabbit today whose eyes where completely shut due to infection. Of course Ive used the stuff from the vet but I prefer natural methods.

Back