• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt :( update post 47

Theo

Warren Scout
Wednesday evening I noticed Thor was quieter than usual. Thursday morning I noticed that he had a very slight head tilt so got him to the vets that afternoon. He is on baytril twice a day and metacam once a day. Saturday morning his head tilt was worse (but still nothing like the severe photos you see on Google). Saturday evening and he seems puffy under his eye like his cheek area.

How long does it take for the medicines to kick in?

Is it worth putting him on panacur too for 28 days? If so would his partner need the same course?

Any advice is much appreciated, I feel so sad for him :(

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised that the vet hasn't already put him and his parnter on a 28 day course of panacur just in case, given the head tilt. Did they look in his ears to see if it was an ear infection? If there hasn't been a diagnosis I would definitely ask for him to be put on panacur just to be on the safe side.

The vet had a look in his ears and said one was slightly inflamed. I did ask about panacur and she said that would be the next step if there's no improvement. I hadn't seen this vet before, i think she was may be new to the practice. She said they don't keep it in stock so if I wanted it it'd take 2 days to be available. I'll phone first thing Monday and get some ordered. Unless it's something you can buy over the counter?

Well it sounds like it's got worse rather than better so I would definitely suggest getting some. I'm not really sure if you can get it over the counter though so it may have to wait until they can get it in.

The vet had a look in his ears and said one was slightly inflamed. I did ask about panacur and she said that would be the next step if there's no improvement. I hadn't seen this vet before, i think she was may be new to the practice. She said they don't keep it in stock so if I wanted it it'd take 2 days to be available. I'll phone first thing Monday and get some ordered. Unless it's something you can buy over the counter?

if you can't get it from you vets PAH stock it in an emergency that's where I went, hope there is some improvement soon

I am sorry that Thor is unwell.

It appears that your vet is treating him for an ear infection, although head tilt is also sometimes a symptom of an infection called Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC), caused by a parasite. The treatment for this would be a 28 day course of Panacur and also an anti-inflammatory type medicine such as Metacam. It is very difficult in most cases to determine what exactly is causing the head tilt and so vets would normally provide treatment both for an ear infection (antibiotics) and also EC (Panacur). The Metacam would be appropriate with either diagnosis, as a pain reliever for ear infection and to reduce inflammation to the brain for EC.

All other rabbits living in close contact with Thor would also need a full course of Panacur. EC is spread by spores in urine so it is important to keep all their bedding very clean to stop any re-infection occuring from the rabbit eating the bedding.

I have also seen the recommendation on here to bleach clean the rabbit's environment on days 21 and 28 of the Panacur or alternatively use steam cleaning.

Sending lots of vibes for Thor.

Awww, poor Thor, i hope he recovers soon. . Yes panacur is available at pets@home stores as well as vets within pets@home. sometimes they check you know your bunnies weights & dosing requirements, sometimes not. I spoke with my very savvy vet about panacur recently & she feels its a very low risk medication

Yes I would definitely be putting him on Panacur too. I also believe it is very low risk so at worst it will do nothing and at best it might resolve the issue. Fingers crossed for Thor.

Wednesday evening I noticed Thor was quieter than usual. Thursday morning I noticed that he had a very slight head tilt so got him to the vets that afternoon. He is on baytril twice a day and metacam once a day. Saturday morning his head tilt was worse (but still nothing like the severe photos you see on Google). Saturday evening and he seems puffy under his eye like his cheek area.

How long does it take for the medicines to kick in?

Is it worth putting him on panacur too for 28 days? If so would his partner need the same course?

Any advice is much appreciated, I feel so sad for him :(

I'm sorry to hear about Thor's head tilt :(

Usually in cases like this, Panacur is given, even if a definitive diagnosis of E.C. hasn't been made. Yes, the course would 28 days, and his partner would also have to be medicated at the same time. It would also be advisable to bleach/disinfect/steam clean on days 21 and 28 of treatment to interrupt the life cycle of the parasite.

All that said, it seems that Thor's lack of balance may be due to an ear infection, or at least inflammation. Certainly the Metacam is great for addressing pain and inflammation. I would look to something much stronger than Baytril if you see no improvement within 5 - 7 days. Ear infections are notoriously hard to treat and you don't want it to become chronic. I'm sure you're vet is aware of all this.

It may be a vestibular disorder that clears itself up and perhaps that's why the vet has prescribed Baytril first of all. How long is the course of Baytril and when does the vet want to see him again?

Sending hugs and vibes xx

I just have a small bottle of bay trial but at 0.16ml twice a day it will last a while. Get said to continue til the bottle was finished. I will try to source some panacur tomorrow and failing that phone the vets on Monday and get some ordered.

Awww, poor Thor, i hope he recovers soon. . Yes panacur is available at pets@home stores as well as vets within pets@home. sometimes they check you know your bunnies weights & dosing requirements, sometimes not. I spoke with my very savvy vet about panacur recently & she feels its a very low risk medication

Is it a specific rabbit panacur? Or will it be for cats? Just wondered since the metacam says its for cats. Thor weighs 0.76kg and Theo weights around 2.6kg so how would I know what dosage?

Is it a specific rabbit panacur? Or will it be for cats? Just wondered since the metacam says its for cats. Thor weighs 0.76kg and Theo weights around 2.6kg so how would I know what dosage?

You can buy Panacur online (I use this company: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html)

At Panacur 10% the dosage is 0.2ml per kg. (20mg per kg)

I would check with your vet that they are happy for you to administer Panacur. Even though it's not a prescription only drug, strictly speaking only the paste is licensed for use in rabbits, though the ingredient (fenbendazole) is the same in paste and liquid.

Good luck xx

Last edited:

Yep:) Its in a locked cabinet in pets@home so you just need to ask a member of staff.

You can buy Panacur online (I use this company: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html)

At Panacur 10% the dosage is 0.2ml per kg. (20mg per kg)

I would check with your vet that they are happy for you to administer Panacur. Even though it's not a prescription only drug, strictly speaking only the paste is licensed for use in rabbits, though the ingredient (fenbendazole) is the same in paste and liquid.

Good luck xx

I'm guessing it's this from p@h? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/panacur-worming-paste-1875%-for-rabbits-5gm Which says 1 syringe graduation per 2.5kg...how does that work when Thor weighs less than 1kg?

I'm guessing it's this from p@h? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/panacur-worming-paste-1875%-for-rabbits-5gm Which says 1 syringe graduation per 2.5kg...how does that work when Thor weighs less than 1kg?

That's the paste, which is licensed for rabbits, and comes in graduations. It's also far more expensive than buying Panacur 10% from the link I gave you. The dosage is also less accurate, but that's not significant.

You can choose either Panacur to dose your rabbit with :)

One of my rabbits is currently on Panacur for a head tilt. She weighs 1.48kg but I still give her 1 graduation. The vet said it's fine for them to have that amount and it's far too hard to try doing half a graduation. I did attempt that at the beginning and it's just became a nightmare!
Be prepared to have them on Panacur over 28 days though. We saw massive improvements over 32 days and we have been told to keep going on Panacur for 2 weeks past her showing complete recovery.
Keep monitoring their weight, we were advised against using metacam as our bunny was loosing a small amount of weight, even though she eats like a horse. The metacam can apparently suppress their immune system which can allow the parasite to affect them more.

I hope your bunny starts showing signs of recovery soon xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my rabbits is currently on Panacur for a head tilt. She weighs 1.48kg but I still give her 1 graduation. The vet said it's fine for them to have that amount and it's far too hard to try doing half a graduation. I did attempt that at the beginning and it's just became a nightmare!
Be prepared to have them on Panacur over 28 days though. We saw massive improvements over 32 days and we have been told to keep going on Panacur for 2 weeks past her showing complete recovery.
Keep monitoring their weight, we were advised against using metacam as our bunny was loosing a small amount of weight, even though she eats like a horse. The metacam can apparently suppress their immune system which can allow the parasite to affect them more.

I hope your bunny starts showing signs of recovery soon xx

I was planning on 28 days as I've read that on this forum before. Fingers crossed I can get some Panacur today. How many doses are in a syringe?

I was planning on 28 days as I've read that on this forum before. Fingers crossed I can get some Panacur today. How many doses are in a syringe?

Just counted about 17 although the first dose always ends up bigger than the rest as there is a blank section before the markings. It will make more sense when you see the syringe!

The 10% liquid panacur for cats / dogs is easier, cheaper and more accurate to dose, especially if you are doing more than 1 rabbit. I found the rabbit syringe panacur really difficult to judge the correct dose, and even harder when one of them bit through the end of the syringe. If you work out the correct dose and set it up in a 1ml syringe for each rabbit, the liquid goes down easier if you just slip it between their teeth and push the plunger - job done - you are not checking that the lines have gone the correct amount like on the paste syringe.

I usually get it from VetUK, but there are a few places online that supply it. You don't need a prescription.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-...nacur-10-100ml-liquid-for-cats-and-dogs-p-175

The rabbit paste syringe lasts for 9 doses for a 2.5kg rabbit according to this:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supplies-rabbit-wormers-c-649_651/panacur-rabbit-oral-paste-5g-p-1105

Last edited:
Just counted about 17 although the first dose always ends up bigger than the rest as there is a blank section before the markings. It will make more sense when you see the syringe!

Ok so I'll need 2 syringes per rabbit. Almost 11 now so hopefully we can get sorted today!

Back