• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Utterly distraught

jemjabella

Mama Doe
I got a young Continental Giant last year, after the anniversary of the passing of my pair. I didn't talk about him - Bramble AKA MEGABUN - much on here because he was bought from a breeder and I'm well aware of the general opinion (feel free to judge, but not today); but he was a welcome addition to our already quite large family. Here he is after he destroyed the cat flap:

megabun.jpg

He was vaccinated over Christmas, neutered last month and I've been on the look out for a larger lady to join him in the next couple of months.

Unfortunately, however, he stopped eating yesterday afternoon. I rushed him straight to the vet where he was given painkillers and infacol, and I managed to syringe feed a little pellet & pineapple juice mush into him twice yesterday evening, but he passed away overnight.

He was only 8 months old and I am utterly, utterly distraught. I've only just started coming to terms with the loss of one of our rescue piggies over Christmas and I feel like I'm jinxed.

He's going in for postmortem this morning. I can't really afford it but I am so bereft.. I need answers or closure or something. I don't know what I'm going to do without him. He was such a mischevious, naughty bunny but he brightened up my days.

I am so sorry you lost him. He was a beautiful boy.
[My two pairs came from breeders. No judgement here!]

Oh gosh, he was so beautiful. I am so sorry you lost him. He was obviously a much loved rabbit.

Oh how absolutely tragic :cry: I am so very sorry :cry: I can totally empathis with the devastation you are feeling.

NO-ONE has the right to pass judgement on where or how we chose to obtain a Rabbit. It is absolutely no-one else's business.

Binky forever young and free Bramble xx

I got a young Continental Giant last year, after the anniversary of the passing of my pair. I didn't talk about him - Bramble AKA MEGABUN - much on here because he was bought from a breeder and I'm well aware of the general opinion (feel free to judge, but not today); but he was a welcome addition to our already quite large family. Here he is after he destroyed the cat flap:

megabun.jpg

He was vaccinated over Christmas, neutered last month and I've been on the look out for a larger lady to join him in the next couple of months.

Unfortunately, however, he stopped eating yesterday afternoon. I rushed him straight to the vet where he was given painkillers and infacol, and I managed to syringe feed a little pellet & pineapple juice mush into him twice yesterday evening, but he passed away overnight.

He was only 8 months old and I am utterly, utterly distraught. I've only just started coming to terms with the loss of one of our rescue piggies over Christmas and I feel like I'm jinxed.

He's going in for postmortem this morning. I can't really afford it but I am so bereft.. I need answers or closure or something. I don't know what I'm going to do without him. He was such a mischevious, naughty bunny but he brightened up my days.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

What a beautiful young lad he was :love:

I'm really sorry. Noone should judge, you took on a rabbit to care for and that's what counts. I hope the post mortem brings some answers that will help you cope with the loss.
RIP you wonderful, handsome, cat-flap destroying rabbit xx

what a beautiful bunny. i am so sorry for your loss. i hope you get the answers that you need from the post mortem. hugs x

Bramble was gorgeous, I'm so sorry you lost him & especially so young . Sleep tight big lad xx

I hope the post mortem gives you some closure

Spoke to the vet earlier and she said that apparently there was nothing obvious in the postmortem - food in his stomach and poo pellets in his rectum which suggests that there was digestion going on. He had an enlarged thymus(?) and petechial hemorrhaging in the small intestine (I think that's what she said) both of which have been sent away for testing.

The vet said she did not think he would die when she examined him last night and had she any inkling she would have kept him in.

So still no idea what went wrong but should get lab results back next week.

Back