• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bathing rabbits

Sherri

New Kit
Hi.
I'm trying to litter train my rabbits but they have been using the litter tray as a bed. Which has made them a bit smelly! Just wondering if any one baths their rabbits or if its a good idea to do this? And how to go about it etc
Thankyou x

Hi there. Rabbits like to lie in their litter trays - a lot of us prefer to put paper on the bottom then top up with hay as rabbits like to chew while they pooh. :roll: If cleaned out daily there shouldn't be any smell really. As far as bathing your bunny is concerned, it is not recommended as the rabbit's skin is very sensitive and you would have to make sure the fur was absolutely dry. Rabbits keep themselves very clean as a rule :thumb:

As tonibun said, rabbits do like using their litter trays as beds or somewhere to sit, poo and eat. Mine have two large litter trays (underbed storage boxes) which I line with thick layer of newspaper and then hay, and change it every day. It isn't advisable to bath rabbits.

Thank you. I do empty it every morning so its fresh for the rest of the day. I might try emptying it morning and evening.
Thanks for the advice about bathing. I think the smell is coming from their feet....where they are standing in litter tray all the time their feet are very yellow!

Thanks I wasn't sure as iv seen rabbit shampoo in pet shops

Should be banned :lol:

Seriously though, there are rare occasions when I have had to bathe rabbits that have come into the Rescue Centre, but never my own at home. Keeping the litter tray clean (though I know it's a chore) is the only way. I have often changed it twice daily even for one rabbit :shock:

Should be banned :lol:

Seriously though, there are rare occasions when I have had to bathe rabbits that have come into the Rescue Centre, but never my own at home. Keeping the litter tray clean (though I know it's a chore) is the only way. I have often changed it twice daily even for one rabbit :shock:

Its true - it should be banned. Although we have it in our store all our staff are told not to recommend it. (We're a fairly big chain and it takes years to get them to stop stocking certain products).

My girlies have yellowing feet, but they do clean them often & don't smell. We clean their tray every morning but replace the hay twice a day. (sometimes three times)

Rabbits should only ever be bathed under strict vet advice, and preferably by the vet. It is highly inadvisable to bathe a bunny (they don't voluntarily bathe in the wild) as this can lead to all sorts of problems, the main ones being the shampoo isn't completely rinsed out and so they ingest it, they're not dried off thoroughly to their skin, and of course the complete and utter shock of being put in water in the first place. They do a fine job of washing themselves, so please don't ever do it :)

Ok thankyou. When I said bath them I only meant a little bit of water to wash their feet as they are standing in the litter tray all day. Was a bit embarrassed to go to vet with the rabbits while they still had yellow feet!

Ok thankyou. When I said bath them I only meant a little bit of water to wash their feet as they are standing in the litter tray all day. Was a bit embarrassed to go to vet with the rabbits while they still had yellow feet!

:lol: Why didn't you say you only meant a little tidy up of the feet area!

I have given butt baths to rabbits with dirty bottles, and also cleaned the feet of rabbits who get stuff stuck onto their fur :D

Back