• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elidore

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Last Saturday I had to have Elidore put to sleep. He had collapsed at home, we rushed him to vet, had all the tests done and discovered a cluster of tumors around his stomach. He was suffering so I made the decision there and then and I was allowed to hold him in my arms. He passed so quickly and so peacefully. He was already away, the light gone from his eyes before all the fluid had been injected. It was a huge shock because it all happened so suddenly but he was twelve years old and had never been ill before. I feel really numb and shocked still. I buried him yesterday and that was hard, all the harder still as I buried him with his former mate. She died three years ago and yet I found her bones :cry: But at least they are together now.

Elidore was a King of bunnies and the last of my childhood bunnies so his passing marks the end of an era :(

I made this collage featuring one picture from each year of his life plus one with each of his wives.

Your photos of your special, precious Elidore are so, so beautiful. I am really very sorry that you had to say goodbye to him :cry: He looks like he was a wonderful friend.

He was always there and now he isn't :cry: I fell in love with Elidore at first sight when I worked at the sspca. I had to have him and begged my parents to let me adopt him and they said yes. Elidore was shy and withdrawn in rescue but we slowly built up a strong bond. He was like a pixie, dancing and leaping through the long grass. He was spirited and fey as a younger bun and then as he aged he slowed down a little and became an elderly gentleman. Instead of leading me a dance through the buttercups and bluebells, he would nudge my hand with his snout by way of a greeting and lower his head for stroking. He loved his bunny friends but more than that even, he loved his garden. It was truly his, he made it so. Sometimes he chased visiting birds and squirrels for fun. He dug scrapes here and there and then rolled in them. At night he sat out and watched the stars with his wife by his side. He knew every aspect of the garden and could not wait to get out to play. He had a large run but it was not a patch on the garden. We have had a lot of rabbits but none have ever enjoyed being outdoors so much or so active. Elidore was part wildie which I think explains his behaviour. So living a semi wild life was ideal for him.

In Glencoe there is a memorial to a deceased climber which includes a quote, 'These are my mountains and I have come home'.
I would adapt that for Elidore to say that was his garden and he has come home. He is buried in his beloved garden with bulbs planted above him. And I know that as his body breaks down, it will feed the flowers and he will become beautiful blooms until they wilt and disintegrate back into the earth only to bloom again and again. So I suppose in a way he will always be there but not in a form that we can communicate.

Last edited:
Sending lots of squidgy hugs :love:

I have returned several times to this thread to look again at the beautiful photos of Elidore. Your latest post has touched me very much, partly I think because in my view Elidore's life was just so perfect enjoying his beloved garden and partly because I can appreciate just how much you must miss him.

Elidore, you will be missed so much by the people who loved you, as you finally become part of the garden you loved so much.

Sending lots of squidgy hugs :love:

I have returned several times to this thread to look again at the beautiful photos of Elidore. Your latest post has touched me very much, partly I think because in my view Elidore's life was just so perfect enjoying his beloved garden and partly because I can appreciate just how much you must miss him.

Elidore, you will be missed so much by the people who loved you, as you finally become part of the garden you loved so much.

Thank you. I know you are right, his life was pretty much perfect. He was safe and fed and loved and got good medical care when he needed it. He had friendship and affection but he also had freedom. The freedom to come and go as he wished, the ability to explore and scent mark everything. He knew the wildlife (mice, toads, frogs, newts, birds, squirrels and so on), he heard the birdsong and the rush of the nearby river. He was never phased by the owl's hoots and would sit and watch the world go by at night. I feel it is cruel because it was his garden and he loved it so much. It was truly his home.

I don't really have the right to complain, he had a good life and a peaceful death. I just miss him so much. He was a huge part of my life. Gentle, quiet and strong and always there. I often felt like life didn't really begin until I had bunnies, I was aimless and lonely before that, had no purpose. But they gave me that purpose and Elidore especially so. He was incredibly shy and afraid and had previously been abused. I had to work hard to build up the trust and I gave him all my love and one day after three years he finally reciprocated my love and affection. I was the only one who could handle him, he was my heart bunnie :love:

Sorry you've lost such a special bun :( He was very handsome - I love the pic of him disappearing into the little wooden house :)

That was my doll's house. He was so tiny when I adopted him. He was tiny when I buried him too :( He never got plump like other buns. He was always slender and incredibly active, almost hyper at times.

Back