• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spraying & Hormonal behaviours

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi,my rabbit is 3 months and 3 weeks old,I took him to the vet to enquire about getting him neutered and the vet recommended waiting another 2 months,he started humping me last week and today he sprayed urine on me. I'm worried that the bad habits will 'set' over the 2 months that I'm waiting to get him neutered. Will it be an issue after the neuter? He is a lovely boy,but he's starting to go through the 'teenage' stage.

Ah the dreaded 'teenage' stage :)

My male buns were neutered at 10 months & 15 months and neither sprayed after the op. This may be different for others though.

Do you think the humping and chin marking will stop after the operation? I'm also nervous about the surgery because of the risks. Is there anything I should do in advance to prepare for the surgery?

Do you think the humping and chin marking will stop after the operation? I'm also nervous about the surgery because of the risks. Is there anything I should do in advance to prepare for the surgery?

Well I never had an issue with buns humping me personally however Barney would hump Chloe (female bun) & continued to do so after his op especially in the Spring! Dave only ever humped a cuddly toy & he's never had it since. Both of my buns occasionally chin mark food and random objects like water bowls :?

Are you thinking of introducing a friend to him?

As for preparing for the op, just ensure you have all his favourite treats in as he may need some encouragement to eat! All should be fine providing you are provided with a weeks worth of pain relief.

I was planning to try bonding him with my female,but unfortunately she passed away. I don't think my parents will let me get another rabbit,getting him was already pushing it with them, I try and give him as much attention as possible though.

Your bunny could be neutered as soon as his testicles have descended :) which will possibly be sooner than the 2 months the Vet suggested. Also he needs to be 1 kg before the Vet will operate. He needs to be healthy when he goes for his neuter and boys usually recover very well. You will need to keep him quiet for a couple of days post neuter, then he should stop spraying :thumb:

I'm worming him on Friday,which needs the weight too. I'm going to take him to the vet 2 weeks before the operation. Should he be kept in his normal cage?(X pen) or should I keep him a smaller cage for a few days?

He'll be ok in his normal cage, better in fact as it is familiar. It's just best not to let him run around or jump onto anything. :thumb:

Back