• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed!!

Eddyf93

New Kit
So my little oreo was spayed 2 and a half weeks ago, she reacted pretty well to the anesthetic and made a slow and steady recovery, but always hid in the corner of her cage. We took her back for a check a week and a half later on a saturday and everything was healing perfectly.

We were told she was overweight, so was given some diet food that I was going to start on the Monday, this is a week ago today.

So this is where the problems began, so refused to eat the food, clearly she didn't like the taste, so stuck to her haye. As the days went on the food she was eating was less and less. We tried putting her back to her normal pellets she likes, but she was having non of it. So we got to Wednesday and I was panicking because she was literally eating NOTHING. the odd bit of hay, but not much, and not drinking any water at all.

So I took her to the vets on Wednesday and was told her intestines weren't working properly, so she wasn't weeing or pooing, making her not want to ear. So we got a bit of medication, and food for the critically ill to try force her appetite. We were told this would work and she'd be okay within 2 days.

She rapidly declined and by Saturday I'd had enough. She wasn't eating, drinking, and had devolved a problem with her back end. Stumbled when she was hopping along, and couldn't even jump into her cage, and that's only a couple of inches high.

So now we're on some more medication and painkillers. We're also now syringe feeding her by mashing her food with water. This is proving difficult, but we're getting some down her. She eats a few herbs after syringe feeding, and a few pieces of hay, but still not drinking or eating pellets. I haven't seen her poo in a good 3-4 days, or wee in about 2. She also won't run around at all. Unless we chase her around, she'll happily sit in the same place for hours on end.

Any help would be massively appreciated. We just want our fun, loving, energetic rabbit back.

So my little oreo was spayed 2 and a half weeks ago, she reacted pretty well to the anesthetic and made a slow and steady recovery, but always hid in the corner of her cage. We took her back for a check a week and a half later on a saturday and everything was healing perfectly.

We were told she was overweight, so was given some diet food that I was going to start on the Monday, this is a week ago today.

So this is where the problems began, so refused to eat the food, clearly she didn't like the taste, so stuck to her haye. As the days went on the food she was eating was less and less. We tried putting her back to her normal pellets she likes, but she was having non of it. So we got to Wednesday and I was panicking because she was literally eating NOTHING. the odd bit of hay, but not much, and not drinking any water at all.

So I took her to the vets on Wednesday and was told her intestines weren't working properly, so she wasn't weeing or pooing, making her not want to ear. So we got a bit of medication, and food for the critically ill to try force her appetite. We were told this would work and she'd be okay within 2 days.

She rapidly declined and by Saturday I'd had enough. She wasn't eating, drinking, and had devolved a problem with her back end. Stumbled when she was hopping along, and couldn't even jump into her cage, and that's only a couple of inches high.

So now we're on some more medication and painkillers. We're also now syringe feeding her by mashing her food with water. This is proving difficult, but we're getting some down her. She eats a few herbs after syringe feeding, and a few pieces of hay, but still not drinking or eating pellets. I haven't seen her poo in a good 3-4 days, or wee in about 2. She also won't run around at all. Unless we chase her around, she'll happily sit in the same place for hours on end.

Any help would be massively appreciated. We just want our fun, loving, energetic rabbit back.

It sounds as though she needs to be hospitalised for intensive care. It is obviously extremely serious if she has not passed any urine or feces for several days. She would need diagnostics such as blood tests to check her renal and liver function. Also abdominal Xray to check for a full obstruction in her intestines. Post surgical adhesions can occur rapidly in Rabbits who have abdominal surgery, especially if the Rabbit is over-weight when surgery is performed. Medication and fluids are likely to need to be administered IV.

How Rabbit Savvy is your Vet ?

I really would not delay getting your Rabbit admitted to a Rabbit Savvy Vet straight away as sadly from what you have posted it sounds as though she is already very poorly.

If you are uncertain as to how Rabbit Savvy your Vet is then if you say what part of the Country you are located in maybe someone on here could recommend a different Vet for you to contact.

I do hope that your Rabbit can recover, I am sure it must be a very stressful situation for you at the moment.

I am really sorry your rabbit is having a hard time, it mustn't be nice for you either. Does she like grass, can you pick some if she is used to eating veg etc? Or some Spring Greens? It wasn't very clever of your Vet to advise changing her diet straight after her operation as they sometimes don't eat their pellets for a couple of days anyway. Or you try her with some herbs

Try to find a Vet who is raabit savvy, if you post a thread asking for a good vet in the area where you live, someone will recommend one. Your rabbit probably should be hospitalised.

I'm from the Bradford area, I've been taking her to the local pets at home which have a vets on site. Vets for pets I think it's called.

Could this be a result of the operation? They keep saying it isn't because of the length of time it's taken for her to become so poorly.

On Saturday the vet had a real good feel of her back end and stomach and said he couldn't feel much wrong. He also said if her intestines were blocked, she would have died by now.

I've just put out a thread asking for a Vet in your area. It's possibly a combination of having the operation and then trying new food. Did you not try her with veg after her op?

I've just put out a thread asking for a Vet in your area. It's possibly a combination of having the operation and then trying new food. Did you not try her with veg after her op?

She was eating fine straight after the op. It all started after her check up on the 10th.

This is when we were told her wound was healing fine and she could go back in to her cage, she lived on a towel with the top of the cage covering her to avoid sawdust sticking to her wound. That's when I decided to try her diet food for a day or two, and she just didn't eat anything from then

I can only reiterate what has already been said, that it extremely urgent to get her to a vet tonight so she can be admitted. Sadly, rabbits go downhill extremely quickly so time really is of the essence. A recommendation of a good vet has been given. Good luck.

Just had a search and got a link to this site actually. The closest is one called abbey house, which is just round the corner from me. So I'll give them a ring and see what they suggest

Sorry - didn't see the main thread.

David at Northcote Vets, 358 Otley Rd, BD2 4QR. 01274 632222
http://www.northcotevets.co.uk/

They don't have a 24 nurse, though. If she was admitted, there would be no-one with her overnight - but they would do a fab job during the day and show you what to do at home, or if you are near me, I could help. PM me.

I've never used the P@H (assuming you used Birstall) vet for rabbits, so have no idea of their experience.

Yes I used Birstall, they were brilliant when I rung up and explained the problem, they got her an appointment straight away, even though they were fully booked up. But I'm not getting much info, just being given medication with is costing me an arm and a leg. I'm £140 in to 5 different fluids to give her and there hasn't been much change. Admittedly, she has improved slightly since Saturday, eating herbs and a bit of salad, along with what we're syringe feeding her, but nothing amazing.

Yes I used Birstall, they were brilliant when I rung up and explained the problem, they got her an appointment straight away, even though they were fully booked up. But I'm not getting much info, just being given medication with is costing me an arm and a leg. I'm £140 in to 5 different fluids to give her and there hasn't been much change. Admittedly, she has improved slightly since Saturday, eating herbs and a bit of salad, along with what we're syringe feeding her, but nothing amazing.

I really hope this works for you, and also that she has been given medication for pain.

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you both x

Did you manage to access another Vet last night ?

How is your Doe doing now ?

How is bunny today?

Have you been back to pester the original vets? I would be tempted to camp out there and cause a bit of fuss until everything is fully explained and demonstrated to you. The store can't afford to have unhappy customers in such a public place as it would affect the other businesses as well.

It is a large P@H store. You have to go right through the middle of the store and upstairs to a large open balcony area to the vet reception. It has the fish section, groom room and a former Dogs Trust branch upstairs as well.

I would hope that they are OK with rabbits as they will probably see more than some local vets - with it being a P@H store with a well stocked livestock and rehoming section. The boss man is also from a very well known family of vets, so also has a reputation to uphold.

I don't know what meds you have been given or the treatment at the vet. It does seem that you were not given adequate advice as to how to care for your rabbit in these circumstances. The vet nurses are usually the ones you would turn to for the practical stuff - either in person or over the phone.

I hope she continues to improve. It is essential to keep getting the food into her until she is eating and pooing normally.

Just a quick update on oreo, this probably won't be a very popular decision, but I'm glad I've gone with it.

So after all the information gathered after posting this on Monday, I decided I just didn't have the time, or money to take her to a Vet so late on. So I decided to take the gamble and continue with what I was doing.

So I got up on Tuesday morning and surprisingly I saw a hand full of very small bits of poo! It wasn't much, but it was positive signs to say she hadn't done any for so long.

I carried on with the medication and syringe feeding her and as each day went by, she seemed to be coming around. Just about finished her course of medication, and this morning I saw a fair bit of pretty normal sized, round poo in her cage!

It's now clear her body is starting to kick start again, and starting to digest everything she's eating. She took her first drink from her bottle all on her own yesterday for the first time in a week (wasn't too worried before as water was included in the syringe feeding).

So in the end she's seriously on the mend, and seems to have her attitude back hahaha. She's eating a lot of veg that we give her, but we are continuing to syringe feed as she just won't eat her pellets by herself, so this will continue until she does.

Also, her problem with her back legs seems to be getting better, less stumbles when running around, and she has the confidence in herself to hop in to her cage.

So pleased to hear Oreo is getting better and feeling happier. Are you now going to think about her losing some weight, it must be done gradually. We can help you with this if you would like.

Back