• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lumps in dewlap

Bunkysmama

Young Bun
Hey everybun....I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the lumps in my bunnys dewlap...She has had the one largest one for about a year...two smaller ones more recent :(

Yes I've been to the vets twice about it...they suggest a $900 surgery...money I definitely don't have....vet says it's most likely not cancer since she's had them this long and no ill effects...

She is thriving fine...I however am scared beyond words for her...I worry constantly about it...as surgery is no guarantee and can even cause death....if she's not bothered by them...I'd rather she stay happy...

Has anybody else ever had their buns have lumps in their dewlap? Were they fatty tumors?Cysts? Abscesses? Cancer?
What did you do about it?

Help please...

Love & stuff 🐇
Bunkysmama

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There are various things that may present as 'lumps' in the dewlap- abscesses, cysts, 'fatty lumps', tumours. The only way to find out exactly what they are is by having a Vet involved. The Vet may aspirate a lump and take a microscopic look at the cells within the aspirate. Or as your Vet suggested surgical removal of the lumps and subsequent tissue biopsies may be needed.

I have had a Rabbit who had 4 separate lumps removed and each one was a benign fatty growth. But as I have said, it is impossible to say exactly what your Rabbits lumps may be.

Is she spayed ?

Hey everybun....I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the lumps in my bunnys dewlap...She has had the one largest one for about a year...two smaller ones more recent :(

Yes I've been to the vets twice about it...they suggest a $900 surgery...money I definitely don't have....vet says it's most likely not cancer since she's had them this long and no ill effects...

She is thriving fine...I however am scared beyond words for her...I worry constantly about it...as surgery is no guarantee and can even cause death....if she's not bothered by them...I'd rather she stay happy...

Has anybody else ever had their buns have lumps in their dewlap? Were they fatty tumors?Cysts? Abscesses? Cancer?
What did you do about it?

Help please...

Love & stuff 🐇
Bunkysmama

Hello and welcome to the Forum :wave:

How old is your bunny? Has she been spayed?

There could be several causes of lumps in the dewlap, and as your vet says, they could well be benign. What would your vet charge to take a biopsy of one of them? Sometimes a punch, or needle biopsy is all that's required to get a sample of tissue to send off to the lab. You obviously love her dearly and it would put your mind at rest ...

She is 3 1/2 and not spayed...it would cost 40.00 for office visit and another 35.00 for him to aspirate a bit to look at it...
this is the second time she's been...the first time they did do that...and they didn't say anything about it just that to rid it have it surgically removed :(

I am so scared to have her go thru surgery if it doesn't bother her....I don't know?? :(

She is 3 1/2 and not spayed...it would cost 40.00 for office visit and another 35.00 for him to aspirate a bit to look at it...
this is the second time she's been...the first time they did do that...and they didn't say anything about it just that to rid it have it surgically removed :(

I am so scared to have her go thru surgery if it doesn't bother her....I don't know?? :(

In the hands of an experienced Rabbit Savvy Vet surgery should be relatively straight forward. Obviously no GA is without risks, but for a healthy Rabbit and with the vast improvements in anaesthetic protocols the risk would be kept to the absolute minimum.

Only you can decide how to proceed, unfortunately. You could just 'watch and wait' and see if the lumps get bigger and/or if more appear. Or you could opt for surgery now and hopefully establish exactly what you are dealing with.

If she is in overall good health then you may want to consider having her spayed. This would be beneficial to her health as the older she gets the higher the risk of her developing uterine infections/cancer and mammary tumours.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

Good luck with whatever you decide x

She does have a couple smaller ones with it...if they are fatty tumors...will they ever dissolve on their own?

So if this were me, I would first of all find out what the vet discovered about the lumps last time they aspirated them. Based on that you can make a decision to either leave them or do something about them.

Fatty tissue will not dissolve on it's own.

I would also be very concerned to get her spayed. She's quite young, and so long as she is fit, you would be doing her a real favour. Uterine cancer is very prevalent in does, and it's not at all nice ...

Back