• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after hurting foot this morning

Jasperello

Warren Scout
This morning I accidentally stood on Zucc's front paw (with my shoes on) as he came darting out from under the bed. He ran straight back under and hid at the back for an hour or so. Wouldn't come out for his favourite mint or anything. Took him to the vet to check him over and he said he couldn't feel any breaks, and he watched him move around the floor and even though he was putting weight on it, he kept limping a bit and picking it back up so he gave Zucc a metacam injection and said it was probably just bruised.
We've been back home for 4 hours and he still doesn't seem to be interested in eating still. Since 9am all he's had is a little mint and a sprinkle of pellets. He didn't come when I put them in his hay, like normal, I had to put them in my hand up to his mouth & then he got up. Hasn't touched his hay or done any poos. Not had a drink that I've seen either but there is a small wee in his litter tray.
Should I be starting to worry? I'd thought the metacam would make his pain go away and he'd be alright eating, or does he just need a little more time?

If he isn't eating or pooing, I would be looking at syringe / spoon feeding him now and every 2 or 3 hours until he is eating by himself - either use the pellets he normally has and mush them up with boiling water and leave to cool, make some apple or carrot puree (eg microwaved in a mug), or get some Ella's kitchen baby food that comes in a syringe type sachet and you can feed it directly from the packet. Make sure it is dairy-free (no cheese, etc) and meat-free. Normally there is something like apple, carrot, banana, etc. These will also provide some extra fluids.

If he isn't eating, he may go into stasis. Contact your vet again tonight or tomorrow for more pain relief as it will wear off in 24 hours. Metacam can be given orally and they usually love it.

In the meantime, are there any other favourites that he likes to eat - grass, dandelions, banana, etc. He may also appreciate a heat pad as he may be in shock as well as the pain from the foot making it more difficult to move round to keep warm - but he needs the option to move away from the heat if he wants to.

Hopefully he will feel better soon.

If he isn't eating or pooing, I would be looking at syringe / spoon feeding him now and every 2 or 3 hours until he is eating by himself - either use the pellets he normally has and mush them up with boiling water and leave to cool, make some apple or carrot puree (eg microwaved in a mug), or get some Ella's kitchen baby food that comes in a syringe type sachet and you can feed it directly from the packet. Make sure it is dairy-free (no cheese, etc) and meat-free. Normally there is something like apple, carrot, banana, etc. These will also provide some extra fluids.

If he isn't eating, he may go into stasis. Contact your vet again tonight or tomorrow for more pain relief as it will wear off in 24 hours. Metacam can be given orally and they usually love it.

In the meantime, are there any other favourites that he likes to eat - grass, dandelions, banana, etc. He may also appreciate a heat pad as he may be in shock as well as the pain from the foot making it more difficult to move round to keep warm - but he needs the option to move away from the heat if he wants to.

Hopefully he will feel better soon.

Thankyou, I've rang out of hours vets.. They said if he hadnt eaten by 6 to take him in :-(
I've been and bought Ella's kitchen pear fruit sachet. He loves pear and he's enjoying licking that out the sachet. I've poured some on his hay and put it next to him but he's not interested! Also put the heat pad next to him. He has cold ears too.

Oh so sorry :cry:

Good luck, keep us posted x

We're back. He's not eating because he's been in pain/stressed from the injury. Vet can hear sounds in his tummy but not very strong he said. He gave 3 injections, not sure what of?! Behind his neck, and in a muscle near his back leg? And he gave me some Emeprid (metoclopramide) 1ml 4xday for 3 days and Zantac (Ranitidine) 0.6ml 3xday for 3 days. I've no idea what any of its for though I tried to ask but he never really explained. I asked about critical care because I've seen people mention that when their bunnies aren't eating? So he gave me a packet. I just to figure that out now. I feel awful that I caused this to my poor bun. He looks so sorry for himself and he was grinding his teeth at the vets after his injections :cry: they said he could be admitted but I thought it might be less stressful at home which might encourage his tummy to get better quicker. I've got to start his medicines at 2am

:( Poor baby. You've been given gut stimulants which is good. With my vets agreement I like to have them (my bunnies) at home too. Maybe one of the injections was additional pain relief.
I hope he gets on well with the syringe feeding & starts to feel better soon

:( Poor baby. You've been given gut stimulants which is good. With my vets agreement I like to have them (my bunnies) at home too. Maybe one of the injections was additional pain relief.
I hope he gets on well with the syringe feeding & starts to feel better soon

Ah right thank you, yes now you mention it I believe it was more pain relief, he'd had metacam at 12pm so it was something else I think. I can't figure out this critical care dosage . I feel so silly. He wasn't going to give it me, it was just because I mentioned it so I'm not sure if I really need to give it him.. As for giving him his medicines and syringes, I think that's going to be a nightmare. I've not really got my technique down yet, last time we had baytrill was a complete nightmare!! :?

Sending lots of vibes for Zucc. If he's not eating very much I would give him some of the critical care or alternatively you could mix some of his normal pellets ground down and mixed with water and syringe that, if he won't lick it up out of a bowl. Good luck with the meds.

I'd just mix a desert spoon with water until its the consistency that will go through the syringe & feed as much as he'll accept every 4 hours. If you have ellas kitchen fruit baby food to mix in that works well. good luck

Ah right thank you, yes now you mention it I believe it was more pain relief, he'd had metacam at 12pm so it was something else I think. I can't figure out this critical care dosage . I feel so silly. He wasn't going to give it me, it was just because I mentioned it so I'm not sure if I really need to give it him.. As for giving him his medicines and syringes, I think that's going to be a nightmare. I've not really got my technique down yet, last time we had baytrill was a complete nightmare!! :?

I often whizz kale and a tiny bit of apple in a blender with a small amount of water, and add one teaspoon of critical care. My bunnies often don't take to the flavour, but this way they lap it up. As J&B said, baby food is also a good carrier for it.

Don't feel guilty! We've all done something like this on one occasion or another :)

Thanks for the advice guys.
I struggled with getting him to take the medicine, I ended up putting the one that smelt minty (can't remember which that was) on a couple of pellets which he ate and licked up so that worked and the other one I mixed in with a squirt of that banana purée stuff for him to eat. Not ideal I know but he definitely got all the medicine that way.
And guess what WE HAVE POO! Only other bunny owners know how exciting that is when you've got a bunny that's not been eating :) its just a few small ones but it's a start at least. And he's moving around more today so that's good too. I'm so glad he looks a bit better today, my dad accidentally stood on his bunnys leg a few years ago and she had to have it amputated so that's why I was so worried! Got to figure out how to claim/if it's worth it on the insurance too

Great news!
If you still try to figure out the critical care amount, you have to find it according to your bunny's weight here -> https://www.oxbowvetconnect.com/vets/products/critical_care
Click on the FEEDING tab & download the chart. I have printed it, because I'm sure that if I need it *touch wood* I'll be too upset to remember where it is !

Στάλθηκε από το MZ601 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Back