• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bonding. Advice

Yes. That or the hall. Shouldn't be a problem.
That sounds ideal but it they do start to chase/run around just make the space a little smaller if you can until they settle and then just keep extending it. You are doing a great job and it sounds very positive :thumb:

Spent a few hours in the hall and all good. Happy to have the extra space. They shared a litter tray whilst munching hay and had some veg together. They were fine on there own and we're gently grinding teeth when lying together. :love:

Day 3. In the hall again today. Its been completely different. A lot of mounting from George which lily has mostly been OK with and he's also making little grunting noise and rubbing himself all over her then flopping down beside her. Hes also pulled out some fur from her back. I dont feel comfortable leaving them alone again. Is this him showing dominance? I thought lily would be the dominant one. She has tried to nip a few times. Should I go back to the bath method or persevere?. It's like neither one wants to submit.

Last edited:
The rabbits had a fight today. No blood or injuries and they don't seem that bothered by it but it scared me for sure. Fur flying. I feel so disheartened after all the positive sign they'd shown. What do I do now?

Did you separarate them last night or leave them together? It can be like taking a step back separating and then putting back together (but sometimes it also has to be done).

I would go back to the small environment until they settle and are comfortable and then slowly make the space they are in larger day by day. Hopefully they will settle and they are just finding out who is boss.

Did you separarate them last night or leave them together? It can be like taking a step back separating and then putting back together (but sometimes it also has to be done).

I would go back to the small environment until they settle and are comfortable and then slowly make the space they are in larger day by day. Hopefully they will settle and they are just finding out who is boss.
It was around bed time so they got some treats after they settled and returned to separate cages. Defo going back to a smaller space today.

Its gone really well. Some grooming from George and once from lily. Lots off flopping and cuddling and some quiet grunting before flopping onto one another.

Back