• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bramble - 7 yr old dwarf lop - weeing everywhere

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
My gorgeous Bramble has a variety of litter trays but seems to wee on the lino or on the mat in her hutch - as a result she has a wet bottom and feet. I have changed to vet bed instead of a mat which helps with wetness. Vet visit says no urine infection, urine is clear like water, not yellow, red or cloudy. Any ideas anyone? Thank you

Unfortunately I haven't got any suggestions, I just wanted to say that a rabbit having strange colour urine does not necessarily mean they have a urinary infection anyway. The colour of their urine changes depending on what they eat as different foods have different pigments in them. Just thought that may be useful to know in the future :)

My gorgeous Bramble has a variety of litter trays but seems to wee on the lino or on the mat in her hutch - as a result she has a wet bottom and feet. I have changed to vet bed instead of a mat which helps with wetness. Vet visit says no urine infection, urine is clear like water, not yellow, red or cloudy. Any ideas anyone? Thank you

Has the Vet ruled out any signs of age related arthritic pain/stiffness ?
It is possible that your Rabbit finds hopping into a litter tray uncomfortable now, especially if the surface she hops from has poor traction-ie lino. Her back legs may slip as she tries to hop into a tray and if her back/hips are already a bit stiff/sore she wont want to do that.

Have you tried using a drop sided litter tray and providing a surface with more traction on top of the lino ?

If your Vet has not considered any possibility of arthritis then I would get the Vet to do so. Then if needed some appropriate treatment can be given.

I'd check your Bunny's hocks too, to make sure that they remain well fur covered with no signs of sore skin.

Good luck

The first thing to do it to get your vet to take a urine sample, send it off to the lab, and see whether there's any bacteria causing a urinary infection.

I wold not treat for arthritis (Metacam for pain relief can be very hard on the kidneys, thus making the problem worse) until a urinary infection had been ruled out. This also includes a test for bladder sludge, which can cause the same symptoms.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

Good luck!

Back