• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gizmo isn't very well at all :(

C1A1RE

Warren Scout
Evening all.
Yesterday morning my other half gave Gizmo (our mini lop house rabbit) his morning pellets which normally get eaten as soon as they've been put in the bowl but Gizmo didn't seem interested in them at all and towards the evening I noticed he didn't seem his normal self so we thought he was just under the weather.
This morning was the same he only ate a couple of his morning pellets. I then noticed his ears were quite cold (they were warm yesterday) and his body was feeling quite cool too plus he started grinding his teeth so I knew straight away that he was in pain so I quickly called the vets who told me to take him there.
At the vets they checked his stomach and said she could feel a small blockage. I was told Gizmo has got GI Stasis [emoji22] He was given three injections which were painkillers and to help his digestive system work better. I was given a syringe and told to give him pineapple juice to help with his gas.
I hate seeing him ill and knowing he's in pain [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi MummyBunnyEm I wasn't given any pain relief to bring home. I was only told to give Gizmo pineapple juice.

Hi SJH thank you. He's come out of his corner and is now lying at the side of the rug. He started eating some of his timothy hay about half an hour ago which was so good to see.

How is Gizmo this morning ?

If he is not improving I would take him back to the Vet as he would require ongoing medication. Fluid therapy is also very important too. Often given IV or subcutaneously. When a Rabbit is in gut stasis the contents of the intestines quickly become dehydrated making the contents even harder to move through the GI tract.

This article provides useful information about gut stasis and how it should be treated:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

I really hope that Gizmo will be feeling better soon xx

Hi SJH thank you. He's come out of his corner and is now lying at the side of the rug. He started eating some of his timothy hay about half an hour ago which was so good to see.

HI Claire

I'm sorry to hear Gizmo isn't well - how is he this morning? I would certainly ask your vet about some pain relief if he doesn't seem to be getting better. It can really help.

Did the vet inspect his teeth at all?

Morning Jack's-Jane. Gizmo is still very quiet this morning and still isn't interested in his food this morning, he ate some hay last night and drank quite a bit of water.
Thank you for the link I will have a look at that now. xx
I hope little Gizmo gets well soon as it's not nice seeing him ill.

Morning MightyMax she checked his teeth and did file one tooth down a little bit. Will ask the vet about more pain relief xx

I'm so sorry to read about Gizmo - GI Stasis is horrible :cry:.

I would get him back to the vets - more pain relief is needed, and more gut stimulants. And do badger the vet to let you bring pain relief home with you - GI Stasis can be an awful cycle of stress and pain- pain causes stress, which in turn leads to stasis - which leads to more pain = stress - and so it goes on. Take away the pain - and the bun can then start to fight whatever it is that caused it in the first place. Some vets don't like giving pain relief to take home - so do push hard for it. And as others have said - fluid therapy is a must as well.

Good luck!

Morning Jack's-Jane. Gizmo is still very quiet this morning and still isn't interested in his food this morning, he ate some hay last night and drank quite a bit of water.
Thank you for the link I will have a look at that now. xx
I hope little Gizmo gets well soon as it's not nice seeing him ill.

Morning MightyMax she checked his teeth and did file one tooth down a little bit. Will ask the vet about more pain relief xx

I'm glad the teeth were checked. Did she manage to file it down without a GA?

Morning all thank you for your replies yesterday.
Gizmo hasn't really responsed to the treatment he received on Wednesday, in himself he seems a bit more chirpy but he still wasn't eating so he's been admitted this morning.
The vets are going to try and force feed him to get him to start eating again if that doesn't work they're going to put him on a drip. He's going to be given more painkillers too.
The house seems so empty without him here :(

1925ebca8a9666b02b8a71c57e672d3e.jpg

Last edited:
I hope Gizmo responds to the more intensive treatment at the vets. It's horrid when they are ill :( Sending him loads of vibes.

Thank you all I've got all my fingers crossed that he improves today. I'm keeping myself busy but I keep expecting Gizmo to run up to me like he normally does when I come back into the living room.
Missing him like crazy.
I will keep updating my thread on his progress xx

Thank you all I've got all my fingers crossed that he improves today. I'm keeping myself busy but I keep expecting Gizmo to run up to me like he normally does when I come back into the living room.
Missing him like crazy.
I will keep updating my thread on his progress xx

Oh no!

I really hope he turns a corner soon x

Thank you MightyMax fingers crossed.
I've just called the vets to see how Gizmo is doing and they told me he's being syringe fed Critical Care which is going fine and he's actually eaten some carrot and hay all on his own :)

Back