Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gizmo isn't very well at all :(

Default Gizmo isn't very well at all :(

Evening all.
    Yesterday morning my other half gave Gizmo (our mini lop house rabbit) his morning pellets which normally get eaten as soon as they've been put in the bowl but Gizmo didn't seem interested in them at all and towards the evening I noticed he didn't seem his normal self so we thought he was just under the weather.
    This morning was the same he only ate a couple of his morning pellets. I then noticed his ears were quite cold (they were warm yesterday) and his body was feeling quite cool too plus he started grinding his teeth so I knew straight away that he was in pain so I quickly called the vets who told me to take him there.
    At the vets they checked his stomach and said she could feel a small blockage. I was told Gizmo has got GI Stasis He was given three injections which were painkillers and to help his digestive system work better. I was given a syringe and told to give him pineapple juice to help with his gas.
    I hate seeing him ill and knowing he's in pain

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Poor Gizmo. Did the vets give you any pain relief to bring home?

Warren Veteran

Oh poor boy. Sending lots of nose rubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HECTOR!!

Hi MummyBunnyEm I wasn't given any pain relief to bring home. I was only told to give Gizmo pineapple juice.

Hi SJH thank you. He's come out of his corner and is now lying at the side of the rug. He started eating some of his timothy hay about half an hour ago which was so good to see.

How is Gizmo this morning ?

If he is not improving I would take him back to the Vet as he would require ongoing medication. Fluid therapy is also very important too. Often given IV or subcutaneously. When a Rabbit is in gut stasis the contents of the intestines quickly become dehydrated making the contents even harder to move through the GI tract.

This article provides useful information about gut stasis and how it should be treated:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/ma...is-in-rabbits/

I really hope that Gizmo will be feeling better soon xx

Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by C1A1RE View Post
    Hi SJH thank you. He's come out of his corner and is now lying at the side of the rug. He started eating some of his timothy hay about half an hour ago which was so good to see.

HI Claire

I'm sorry to hear Gizmo isn't well - how is he this morning? I would certainly ask your vet about some pain relief if he doesn't seem to be getting better. It can really help.

Did the vet inspect his teeth at all?

Morning Jack's-Jane. Gizmo is still very quiet this morning and still isn't interested in his food this morning, he ate some hay last night and drank quite a bit of water.
    Thank you for the link I will have a look at that now. xx
    I hope little Gizmo gets well soon as it's not nice seeing him ill.

Morning MightyMax she checked his teeth and did file one tooth down a little bit. Will ask the vet about more pain relief xx

I'm so sorry to read about Gizmo - GI Stasis is horrible .

I would get him back to the vets - more pain relief is needed, and more gut stimulants. And do badger the vet to let you bring pain relief home with you - GI Stasis can be an awful cycle of stress and pain- pain causes stress, which in turn leads to stasis - which leads to more pain = stress - and so it goes on. Take away the pain - and the bun can then start to fight whatever it is that caused it in the first place. Some vets don't like giving pain relief to take home - so do push hard for it. And as others have said - fluid therapy is a must as well.

Good luck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by C1A1RE View Post
    Morning Jack's-Jane. Gizmo is still very quiet this morning and still isn't interested in his food this morning, he ate some hay last night and drank quite a bit of water.
    Thank you for the link I will have a look at that now. xx
    I hope little Gizmo gets well soon as it's not nice seeing him ill.

Morning MightyMax she checked his teeth and did file one tooth down a little bit. Will ask the vet about more pain relief xx

I'm glad the teeth were checked. Did she manage to file it down without a GA?