• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are we stressing our buns out?

russhill

Young Bun
We have 2 lovely Netherland Dwarf rabbits - we initially were told they were both boys, but one turned out to be a girl and we had a surprise litter (I've posted about this elsewhere).

I just wanted to ask about something that has been puzzling me. The buns came from a breeder who always handled them from an early age and since we've had them (they are now both 8 months old) we've carried on picking them up and giving them cuddles. But I've since seen a website on bun behaviour that suggests perhaps we might be stressing them out (i.e. they are prey animals and don't like being off the ground).

The male is often easy to pick up as he sits still in the hutch and will (most of the time) sit still while being lifted - he does struggle a little when his back legs leave the floor, but once he's in our arms he seems to enjoy being tickled and stroked. I'm saying this based on the fact he gently grinds his teeth and will often lick our hands or arms.

The female is rarely easy to catch and often growls, but again once she's in our arms or on our laps she seems to enjoy being tickled and stroked - again she gently grinds her teeth.

When on our laps, they have their ears forward and are looking around seemingly interested in their surroundings - my son describes the females stance as her "show bun pose" because she stands all pert and adorably with her ears up. The male will often step off your lap and move over to the lap where the female is sitting and you end up with both together!

When in my arms, both rabbits will sit still and allow tickling of the cheeks, neck and sides seemingly contentedly - again they gently grind their teeth.

I'm trying to become more aware of the rabbits behaviour and be mindful of not stressing them out. We all love them both deeply and I have to say there really is no better fix for a stressful day than sitting and tickling a contented bunny especially if you get paid back by a lick!

Are we doing more harm than good?

Last edited:
No, you're doing good in my book ...& very fortunate to have cuddly rabbits. They are all highly individual & given you can read their behaviour & they have the option of hopping away I can see no harm. In fact I think its lovely. In the past I've had bunnies who asked to be picked up or would lie on you for hours cuddling. My current three love strokes & fusses but only at ground level. I can pick them all up really easily but I can tell they are indignant about it at best :lol:

Defo sounds like yours are enjoying it. My four all loathe any approach of a hand and will hop rapidly away to the other side of the shed at any hint of strokies or being handled!

Generally speaking, rabbits would rather not be handled, but as your rabbits were handled from an early age they have learned to accept this as part of their life. :thumb:

If the female is growling then she probably doesn't like the initial picking up, but it sounds like once she is in your arms she is ok. I would advice you to be careful though with her growling as she could bite and this would worry me a bit with children. Other than that it all sounds good! :)

I think a lot of it is down to what rabbits are used to. Picking you rabbit up and routine handling are good things to get them used to as you can't not handle them for things like nail clipping, vet trips, check over etc.

It sound like your female isn't as keen, so you might like to try alternatives like encouraging her to hop into a carrier to be moved or to jump on your lap. You can also work on picking her up, instructions here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

We have 2 lovely Netherland Dwarf rabbits - we initially were told they were both boys, but one turned out to be a girl and we had a surprise litter (I've posted about this elsewhere).

I just wanted to ask about something that has been puzzling me. The buns came from a breeder who always handled them from an early age and since we've had them (they are now both 8 months old) we've carried on picking them up and giving them cuddles. But I've since seen a website on bun behaviour that suggests perhaps we might be stressing them out (i.e. they are prey animals and don't like being off the ground).

The male is often easy to pick up as he sits still in the hutch and will (most of the time) sit still while being lifted - he does struggle a little when his back legs leave the floor, but once he's in our arms he seems to enjoy being tickled and stroked. I'm saying this based on the fact he gently grinds his teeth and will often lick our hands or arms.

The female is rarely easy to catch and often growls, but again once she's in our arms or on our laps she seems to enjoy being tickled and stroked - again she gently grinds her teeth.

When on our laps, they have their ears forward and are looking around seemingly interested in their surroundings - my son describes the females stance as her "show bun pose" because she stands all pert and adorably with her ears up. The male will often step off your lap and move over to the lap where the female is sitting and you end up with both together!

When in my arms, both rabbits will sit still and allow tickling of the cheeks, neck and sides seemingly contentedly - again they gently grind their teeth.

I'm trying to become more aware of the rabbits behaviour and be mindful of not stressing them out. We all love them both deeply and I have to say there really is no better fix for a stressful day than sitting and tickling a contented bunny especially if you get paid back by a lick!

Are we doing more harm than good?

It sounds like you're doing really well, and so lovely to hear how well your bunnies are cared for :)

You may find your female a bit more amenable and less growly once she's spayed. It can calm down (understandable) hormonal behaviour.

The female does sound as though it may be hormonal behaviour - she has been through a lot recently. She may settle when she has been neutered.

Rabbits that are handled regularly are so much easier to deal with when something isn't right and they have to be handled (eg to medicate). Even just picking mine up twice a day to put them in / out of the runs makes a huge difference to their handleability. It also makes it easier to spot when something has changed as you get used to how they feel and what is normal for them. If they are rarely handled, there are things you may miss (weight loss, lumps and bumps, etc).

The female does sound as though it may be hormonal behaviour - she has been through a lot recently. She may settle when she has been neutered.

Rabbits that are handled regularly are so much easier to deal with when something isn't right and they have to be handled (eg to medicate). Even just picking mine up twice a day to put them in / out of the runs makes a huge difference to their handleability. It also makes it easier to spot when something has changed as you get used to how they feel and what is normal for them. If they are rarely handled, there are things you may miss (weight loss, lumps and bumps, etc).

I agree with Shimmer.

I used to try my very best to never pick mine up, even getting into the habit of grooming them in their litter tray so I didn't have to, but it didn't help when Milo was poorly the first time and I had to medicate him. I've now gotten into the habit of even just once a week picking them up to place them on the counter top for grooming, nail clipping and a general look over and weight check on my scales.

It makes a huge difference when they are used to it. I wouldn't pick them up personally for ''just a cuddle'' but I do like that I can handle them should I need to. x

Back