• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think my bun is feeling sad...

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
So, a couple of times I've seen my little Bertie sat by himself, looking sad. I don't know wether I should be worried?

He's a lionhead, just under 1 year old. He is neutered and lives with his sister (actual sister, born at the same time) who is spayed. They are outside buns, with free access to their hutch and a play hutch during the day (it's a safe area - sort of built-in enclosure) and they're in their hutch from around 10pm - 7.30am (they are used to this, and no problems "going to bed").

They both have good appetites, and what goes in comes out in big piles... I have never seen any soft poos from either of them.

Bertie goes on play dates with our other two buns, Cookie and Poppet, which works well. His sister is aggressive with Cookie, so she's kept well away during these times.

He grooms his sister, and she grooms him (I'd say she's the dominant one), and we've never seen any aggressive behaviour towards him after he's been on a date.

Last night and earlier this evening, Bertie was sat by himself (not hiding, but not with his sister) with his ears folded back, looking sad. We let him have a few minutes with Cookie, which perked him up.

My OH is under strict orders to pay attention to what Bertie eats and the size of his poo's tomorrow, in case there is an issue. BUT - my question: am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Can they sometimes be affected by the weather? (It's his first winter). I feel worried but I don't know if I should be...

Thanks x

I'll let other people answer, they know so much more than I do. I can tell you that Matthew sits alone sometimes, and he's a bit of a bossy boy.

So, a couple of times I've seen my little Bertie sat by himself, looking sad. I don't know wether I should be worried?

He's a lionhead, just under 1 year old. He is neutered and lives with his sister (actual sister, born at the same time) who is spayed. They are outside buns, with free access to their hutch and a play hutch during the day (it's a safe area - sort of built-in enclosure) and they're in their hutch from around 10pm - 7.30am (they are used to this, and no problems "going to bed").

They both have good appetites, and what goes in comes out in big piles... I have never seen any soft poos from either of them.

Bertie goes on play dates with our other two buns, Cookie and Poppet, which works well. His sister is aggressive with Cookie, so she's kept well away during these times.

He grooms his sister, and she grooms him (I'd say she's the dominant one), and we've never seen any aggressive behaviour towards him after he's been on a date.

Last night and earlier this evening, Bertie was sat by himself (not hiding, but not with his sister) with his ears folded back, looking sad. We let him have a few minutes with Cookie, which perked him up.

My OH is under strict orders to pay attention to what Bertie eats and the size of his poo's tomorrow, in case there is an issue. BUT - my question: am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Can they sometimes be affected by the weather? (It's his first winter). I feel worried but I don't know if I should be...

Thanks x

Firstly I would get Bertie checked over by a Vet as any change in behaviour can be an early warning sign of a health problem.

I am not sure that him going on 'play dates' is something I would do. The dynamics of Rabbit bonds are complex and consistency is needed. Even if there is no actual aggression between Bertie and his sister after a play date his sister WILL smell the Doe she does not like on him. There WILL be some subtle communication from sister to Cookie to show her disapproval. This may be something like sister demanding lots of grooming from Bertie. This may look like 'affection' but in that context it would be her saying 'groom me NOW, I am in charge and you do as I say'...............

Given Bertie's current behaviour I would call a halt to the 'play dates', for a while at least and get him thoroughly checked over by a Vet. Also, with the play dates what if Bertie is actually feeling closer to Cookie and Poppy than to his sister ? It would be unsettling for him to keep being taken away from them.

What is the idea of having play dates with the other 2 rabbits? I agree with Jane so no need to repeat. He is possibly feeling confused and it could very well be affecting his close bond with his sister.

I think the poor little chap had wind, but a trip to the vets seems like a good idea.

The play dates... Yes, I agree it may seem odd. Cookie was very closely bonded with Ricky, who passed away. I was away when this happened.

My partner, worried about Cookie, decided to get a new bf for her (I was still away, as a member of my family had just passed away). When he went to pick Bertie up, he felt he couldn't leave Bella behind so he brought her home too.

The idea was, in time, the three would be bonded. However, needing to wait for neutering etc, this took longer than I think he expected.

Being an inquisitive fella, Bertie regularly broke out of his pen to go visit the other buns - and we noticed this cheered Cookie up. He'd break out of his pen, into the bunny room, snuggle with her, and then back again.

He jumped over fenced off areas, he climbed on top of furniture, back and forth. He still does this occasionally (goes for a "visit" then back to Bella).

We tried bonding (Cookie was absolutely fine, Bella was not). We don't want to break the bond between Bella and Bertie - they are very close), and we don't want him to hurt himself when the mood takes him, so we let them meet occasionally (usually in the front garden which doesn't "belong" to anyone).

Bella and Bertie usually snuggle outside the gate to Cookie's room - they can see her and touch her. I think Bertie would be very happy in a trio, but at the moment this isn't feasible.

It's odd - yet it he chooses to love them both. I don't think he would choose to stay with only Cookie - I say this, as when he's had enough, he'll go back and lay next to Bella. He'd break out to see her, too...

Back